• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Peter's 2015 Glog

I've started germinating a few seeds for 2015. I'm using the wet paper towel in sandwich bag method for the first time. For each seed type, I soaked the seeds in 3% hydrogen peroxide for one minute, then rinsed before putting on the paper towel. I've got all the bags in a plastic box, sitting on a germination heat mat. I put a half plastic egg carton on the bottom so they won't get too hot.

lOzX5Xtl.jpg

WKujPRVl.jpg

6scGcmcl.jpg

It looks like a few of the seeds have something white poking out. These are ajijoes Chocolate Hand Grenade Habanero and Pepperlover's Mustard Moruga Scorpion. 

0Ib0kThl.jpg

KJkBPjbl.jpg

I started them on 12/19. I'm going to move any germinated seeds to cups containing Fox Farms Light Warrior. This will be the first time using this as well.

RK3Tna3l.jpg

Here's my, as of now, grow list. Most of these are from Pepperlover, a few from Buckeye Peppers. Two are from ajijoe, one from Dollar General.

7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow
7 Pot Bubblegum
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Rennie Chocolate - Buckeye Peppers
Aji Cito
Aji Habanero
Aji Verde
Albanian Red Hot
Aleppo
Bahamian Goat - Buckeye Peppers
Bell of Lebannon
Bhut Jolokia Red
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Brazilian Star Fish
Brown Moruga
Buckeye Butchlah - Buckeye Peppers
Chocolate Habanero
Chocolate Hand Grenade Habanero - ajijoe
Cinnamon Bell
Cumra Cherry
Devil's Heart
Devil's Horn
Dorset Naga
Ecuador Red Rocoto
Elephant's Ear
Farmers Jalepeno
Fatalii White
Hot Banana
Hot Fingers
Hot Tomatoes
MOA Scotch Bonnet
Mustard Moruga Scorpion
Orange Habanero - Dollar General
Paper Lantern
Pineapple Rocoto
Reaper
Red Maraba X - ajijoe
Sula Adana
Sweet Cow Horn
Trinida Scorpion Moruga Yellow

------
A few more added later (edited in on 2/9/15)

Peach Congo
7 Pod Congo SR Gigantic
Rosemary Pepper
7-Pot Chaguanas
Cherio Roxa
CGN 20800
CGN 21500
7-Pot Lava
Bhut Jolokia, Peach
7-Pot Mad Ballz Red
Fatalii, Yellow
7-Pot Brainstrain, Red
Butch T Scorpion
--------

What I've started germinating so far is:
7 Pot Rennie Chocolate
Albanian Red Hot
Bahamian Goat
Bhut Jolokia Red
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Buckeye Butchlah
Chocolate Habanero
Chocolate Hand Grenade Habanero
Devil's Heart
Ecuador Red Rocoto
Mustard Moruga Scorpion
Pineapple Rocoto
Reaper
Trinida Scorpion Moruga Yellow

There are a few others I'm going to start early, but wanted to test this germination method first. I'll start the rest sometime next month.

I started germinating 11 more Chinense varieties yesterday. So far, as of this morning, 18 of the transplants have come up. Two of those had helmet head, but have almost pushed the seed case off. Two others that I still have under plastic have full-on helmet head, but think the extra moisture will help that. I noticed also, my Pineapple Rocoto has a hook coming up.  :P

Here are the the types I started germinating yesterday.

MOA Scotch Bonnet
Orange Hab
Devil's Horn
Yellow BrainStrain
7-Pot Primo
7-Pot Bubblegum
Brown Moruga
Datil
Dorset Naga
Paper Lantern
Lemon Hab

Awesome list. Can't wait to see how the Rocotos do for you. They need a little extra time so you're in good shape.
Are the seed black?
You're gonna love the Light Warrior.
Good Luck for 2015!

JJJessee said:
Awesome list. Can't wait to see how the Rocotos do for you. They need a little extra time so you're in good shape.
Are the seed black?
You're gonna love the Light Warrior.
Good Luck for 2015!
Thanks JJJessee! Yes, the seeds are black. Have you been to the New Age Garden Center in Swannanoa? I remember you saying there was a hydro store somewhere around Asheville that you'd been to. I saw on their website they have Fox Farm Ocean Forest 1.5 cu ft for 18.95. I'm want to get some before I start potting them up to bigger containers. Looks like it'll be a good step-up from the Light Warrior, when they're ready for it.

No haven't made it to New Age.5th Season is where I've been.  The FFOF is great stuff. I was close by Seven Springs Farms up in Floyd VA. and stocked up for 2015. They also run a organic farm supply store. Extremely reasonable prices. Not quite as much variety as a retail store but some really good pricing on bulk items.

Here's a quick update. Everything's going well, aside from a few helmet heads. I started germinating these today:

Brazilian Starfish
White Fatalii
Aji Cito
Aji Verde
Aji Habanero
Aji Pineapple
Aji Chuncho

Also, started some more Reaper and Devils' Heart. I have one or two that look good that sprouted, but most had helmet head. I'm doing the transplanting a little differently now, and see if that helps.

AFqSGEWl.jpg

lzIy7Uul.jpg

Here are two of my Chocolate Hand Grenade Habaneros. All of them have green coty's except for this one, looks really cool. Don't know if it'll turn out any different from the others.

mIlK6Tdl.jpg

TIjNJqDl.jpg

Here are my five over-winters from last year, under a t8 strip. I pruned them back a lot when I first brought them in. All but the Bull's Heart are putting out new leaves now. Assuming they survive, I'll to put them directly in the ground this Spring. The other types beside Bull's Heart are Primo, Yellow Brain (but has pretty off-shape red pods, very hot), Brown Congo, and Reaper.

yukHoiMl.jpg

Nice list,Peter. You're well under way - can't wait to get there myself.

Another update. So far there are 40 that are up, and most of a tray of germinated transplants. The transplants waiting to come up are mostly baccatum and chinense.I started seeds for a bunch of annuums last night.

GjVVtqIl.jpg

A2ZZbRrl.jpg

A few closeups.
Albanian Red Hot (The only annuum that I started early)
k5SHIXBl.jpg

Purple pheno Choc. hand grenade
g2rlroWl.jpg

Another hand grenade
68CUHlCl.jpg

Bahamian Goat
r07Dc6Pl.jpg

Here's a quick video that shows a closer overall view.
http://youtu.be/3mo3pLdyo44

Had my first hydro store experience today, at a place called 5th Season. They have all the stuff I keep reading about online. I bought a bag of Fox Farm Ocean Forest, four 4" square pots, and a heavier duty 1020 channel tray. The other two I have are flimsy. I'm going to use the FFOF when upgrading to solo cups. As an experiment I think I will try mixing it 50/50 with the Fox Farm Light Warrior for some of the other seedling transplants. And compare how they do with the others I've already set in 100% light warrior.

Plant's are looking great Peter. I always liked the the people at 5th. Very helpful and knowledgeable. Did they still have their reaper and Fidalgo roxa peppers going in the grow room?

JJJessee said:
Plant's are looking great Peter. I always liked the the people at 5th. Very helpful and knowledgeable. Did they still have their reaper and Fidalgo roxa peppers going in the grow room?
Thanks JJJessee. Yeah I liked that store. I didn't get to spend as much time (or money) as I wanted, and not sure if they still have those peppers. I did see a few non pepper plants in a hydro setup toward the back part of the store. I'll need to go back there pretty soon. I'm glad it's close by.

A quick update. I transplanted 72 germinated seeds to dixie cups since Saturday. I've started all of what I'm growing. The only seeds that haven't germinated at all yet are Datil, Brown Moruga and Lemon Habanero. I'm sure they come along at some point.

uaBio0cl.jpg

An0vXIEl.jpg

FSBOhMAl.jpg

I lost a couple to drying out and have had a few helmet heads here there. Overall though I think it's going well so far.

Back