• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

alkhall 2015

Going to start in coir around first weekend of February.

The list so far, subject to amendment:

BROWN LARGE SCORPION-saved seed from last year

7-POT YELLOW-saved seed from last year

ORANGE(ISH) BRAINSTRAIN-saved seed from last year

ORANGE DOUGLAH-saved seed from last year

CHOCOLATE BHUT JOLOKIA <REPLACED ORANGE DOUGLAH

CARAMEL MADBALLZ-seed saved from last year <ADDED

NOT PEACH (ORANGE(ish)) GHOST-SCORPION-seed saved from last year <ADDED

RED BRAINSTRAIN

YELLOW BRAINSTRAIN

CHOCOLATE BHUTLAH

BIG SUN HABANERO 25 seeds, not one germinated. However, the vendor gave me 8 starter plugs for free to make up fo it. Unfortunately, none were the Big Sun. I found another vendor that had Big Sun (or Yellow Sun, as they called it) plants for sale, so I bought 2 of those.

7-POT WES

TRINIDAD HOT CHERRY

YELLOW PRIMO

RED BHUT JOLOKIA

JALAPENO Biker Billy, Big Guy, Jalapeno M (all Burpee Seeds) < Updated

CAYENNE Ecuadoran Hot Lemon, Long Thin, Large Red (all Burpee Seeds) < Updated

BELL PEPPERS California Wonder, Orange Sun, Great Stuff, Honey Crisp, Fort Knox, Big Dipper (Burpee Seeds) <Updated

RED SAVINA HABANERO <ADDED

VENUZUELAN TIGER <ADDED

BUTCH T (POTTED, OVERWINTERED TWO YEARS)

5x10 trays in netted coir, on heat mats:

TRAY #1
Revised%20TRAY%201a.jpg

TRAY #2
Revised%20TRAY%202a_1.jpg

I have couple of freinds who love bell peppers, so I will probably give them several of the bells, along with some of the Jalapenos, and maybe a select few of the superhots.

Runescape said:
Holy cow, nice pods yo.

Thanks.

This plant was extremely late producing, just in the last three or four weeks has exploded with pods.

Unfortunately, frost this weekend, and dozens of pods are still very green.

I am picking what is ripe, and going to cover everything with sheets overnight to help prevent freezing.

Forecast shows temperatures rebounding next week, hopefully allowing several more days for ripening.

Frost (possibly) Friday night-Saturday morning.

While I plan to cover my plants, I thought I should start picking off the ripe pods.

After work, a quick pick:

Top - (Not) Peach Jay's Ghost scorpion @ 70
Middle - Chocolate Bhut Jolokia @ 30
Bottom - King Naga short @ 42.

IMG_20151015_140519317.jpg

Saturday night/Sunday morning and Sunday night/Monday morning we had frost, but I covered everything, and it appears that most survived, other that a few stray branches that popped out from under the plastic when the wind started blowing.

After work today.

Left - Red Bhut Jolokia @ 78
Center - Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habanero @ 52, Red Savina Habanero @ 8.
Right - Yellow 7-Pot cross #1 @ 142.
The lone brown pod upper far right is one I picked from a Red Bhut Jolokia plant; I presume a natural Chocolate Bhut Jolokia mutation.

I probably discarded 50 or more pods that were 'bad', i.e. over-ripe, bug-bitten, frost-bitten, etc.

Still have a couple hundred pods to go. At least one more week of near 70° daytime, plus 40° nighttime temperatures.

IMG_20151020_135935103_HDR.jpg

alkhall said:
Saturday night/Sunday morning and Sunday night/Monday morning we had frost, but I covered everything, and it appears that most survived, other that a few stray branches that popped out from under the plastic when the wind started blowing.
Nice.

Did you have any favorite varieties this year?

Runescape said:
Nice.

Did you have any favorite varieties this year?

Thanks.

The King Naga short pod was an unexpected variation, as was the volunteer Caramel Madballz, but my 'favorite' had to be the Yellow 7-Pot/King Naga/Brown Large Scorpion cross that made those awesome milk chocolate colored pods (see Post #127 above ^).

A quick pick after work.

37 @ Yellow 7-Pot cross #2
5 @ Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
21 @ Red Bhut Jolokia

IMG_20151103_132308592.jpg

And dozens to go...

I never thought I would still be harvesting in November, but it appears we are going to have decent weather at least through the weekend.

And a few more...

36 @ Yellow 7-pot cross #1
24 @ (Not) Peach Jay's Ghost Scorpion:

IMG_20151105_165742710_HDR.jpg

Comptine said:

That's a LOT of pods left! Do you intend on picking all this weekend? 

Probably, the weather report is calling for freezing temperatures Saturday night, but I wll cover some of the healthier plants (the 7-Pot crosses), the ones at the left side of the pic. Next week is highs in the 60°s and lows in the 40°s. I intend to go as long as the weather permits.
dragonsfire said:
Def nice overall Haul ! :)

Thanks, a very productive year, to be sure.

Still going...

This morning.

20 @ Red Savina Habanero

8 @ Chocolate Bhut Jolokia

37 @ Pumpkin Habanero

4 @ King Naga long pod

1 @ Caramel Madballz

10 @ King Naga short pod:

IMG_20151107_093126963_HDR.jpg

Back