• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Hell Ya Hot Sauce - Thanks to tctenten :)

SmokenFire

Staff Member
Business Member
So yesterday I came home to find a big ole box of peppers sent to me by our very own tctenten.  What to do you ask?  HAWT SAUS!!!

The playas; the peppers from TC, some garlic and onion along with a couple dried/greens from me and a bottle of aged pepper vinegar.

34dndw8.jpg

Chop em up, put em in the pot!  

mvkiuh.jpg

Add special aged pepper vinegar:

104marl.jpg

My kids picked raspberries in the backyard, why not throw some in the mix?  

w0q5ux.jpg

Cooked covered for about 40 minutes.  Hit it with the boat motor and here we are:

ayq4up.jpg

Into the food mill for GRINDAGE!!!

2hejyc9.jpg

And now zee bottlings!

2qdx4du.jpg

The final:

2cnf8m9.jpg

The sauce is very nice; starts a touch sweet then tart/tang from vinegar slowly giving way to the heat from the peppers.  Not too hot -  about a 5 on the heat scale - nice bouquet of the berries but only a bit of their tart/sweet is noticeable in the sauce.  I'm going to let it age for a month or so and then send it out. ;)  

Recipe:

2 lbs mixed peppers (alma paprika, red cherry, aji golden, bahamian goat, aleppo, jimmy nardello, criolla sella, landrace xalapa, 'pdn' (no idea, small dark purple pods taste like aji cito) shishito, karaman turkish, yellow fatalli, purple jalas, padron and fresnos.)
1 lb ripe raspberries
3oz onion
3 oz garlic
2 cups aged pepper vinegar
1 cup water
1 oz dried kashmir and smoked jalapeno peppers
1 tbsp salt

1. Throw everything in the pot.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover.  Cook 30-40 minutes.
2. Stick blend to a smooth consistency.
3. Put entire batch through a food mill.
4. Taste and adjust flavoring as needed.  I added an additional tsp of salt and about 3 tbsp of pex's buckwheat honey.
5. Bottle it up mang!!

Thanks for reading :D

SavinaRed said:
Looks fantastic. I want to grow some raspberries next year. I'm growing pink lemonade blueberries, blue ray blueberries, lingonberries and strawberries .

I put the canes in about 3 years ago and they are really starting to yield now.  Almost to the point of us not being able to keep up with them!  Over the past couple years I've planted 6 or so different blueberry bushes but just have terrible luck with them.  Gooseberries are going great, blackberries good, peach tree good.  No blues though..

I want to crack a bottle of the sauce now, but I know it will be much better in a month after everything's gotten happy.  ;)

Sticking true to my word, I whipped up a batch of this sauce tonight, with some modifications. The bottom line is that the raspberries are MONEY! 

What a delicious sauce -- I'm looking forward to handing this one out to friends/family. You can't not like it. 

Thanks for the inspiration on this one, SmokenFire!

PT-Six said:
Sticking true to my word, I whipped up a batch of this sauce tonight, with some modifications. The bottom line is that the raspberries are MONEY! 

What a delicious sauce -- I'm looking forward to handing this one out to friends/family. You can't not like it. 

Thanks for the inspiration on this one, SmokenFire!

Kickass!  Glad you're happy with it PT-Six.  I am 6 days out from cracking open a bottle for myself, it's been hard to hold off getting into it.  :)

I made something similar yesterday with freezer strawberries, fresh habs and inca red drops.  It was too much strawberry tasting so I added a lb of freezer red sweet peppers.  Turned out well.

A couple questions for ya.

Is the aged vinegar just peppers and vinegar?  How long to marinate?

I'm trying to get the jist on ratios.  Does this sound right.

2 lb  peppers hot or sweet
1 lb fruit, carrots etc...
1/4 onion   3-4 oz
Garlic 1-2 cloves
1 cup of vinegar

I just picked a bunch of peaches for the next sauce.  Can I stick with 3 lbs of produce to 1 cup of vinegar?

Rairdog said:
I made something similar yesterday with freezer strawberries, fresh habs and inca red drops.  It was too much strawberry tasting so I added a lb of freezer red sweet peppers.  Turned out well.

A couple questions for ya.

Is the aged vinegar just peppers and vinegar?  How long to marinate?

I'm trying to get the jist on ratios.  Does this sound right.

2 lb  peppers hot or sweet
1 lb fruit, carrots etc...
1/4 onion   3-4 oz
Garlic 1-2 cloves
1 cup of vinegar

I just picked a bunch of peaches for the next sauce.  Can I stick with 3 lbs of produce to 1 cup of vinegar?

The aged vinegar is indeed just peppers and vinegar with a couple smashed garlic cloves.  I took the last of my cayennes, thai and red devils tongues from harvest and jammed em into that bottle, added vinegar and put it in the pantry.  We started using it in collard greens and dressings/other dishes about 2 months later.  In the photos above the vinegar is about 10 months old; it took on that nice dark color you see (and it was hot!).  You can let it marinate for however long you want.  Also - after about 4 months we'd used about half the vinegar - so I topped it off with more vinegar and put it in the fridge.  For the sauce you can substitute plain white or apple cider vinegar too.

For the ratios I am using 2lbs peppers and 1 lb fruit/carrot plus the onion/garlic and TWO cups vinegar with one cup water.  <-- that ratio makes a basic sauce that is about franks or cholula consistency wise.  If you want a thicker sauce just cook it down a bit longer till you're happy with the thickness.  

I have used peaches before with excellent results.  I think they really shine when paired with smoked pods.  :)  

SmokenFire said:

The aged vinegar is indeed just peppers and vinegar with a couple smashed garlic cloves.  I took the last of my cayennes, thai and red devils tongues from harvest and jammed em into that bottle, added vinegar and put it in the pantry.  We started using it in collard greens and dressings/other dishes about 2 months later.  In the photos above the vinegar is about 10 months old; it took on that nice dark color you see (and it was hot!).  You can let it marinate for however long you want.  Also - after about 4 months we'd used about half the vinegar - so I topped it off with more vinegar and put it in the fridge.  For the sauce you can substitute plain white or apple cider vinegar too.

For the ratios I am using 2lbs peppers and 1 lb fruit/carrot plus the onion/garlic and TWO cups vinegar with one cup water.  <-- that ratio makes a basic sauce that is about franks or cholula consistency wise.  If you want a thicker sauce just cook it down a bit longer till you're happy with the thickness.  

I have used peaches before with excellent results.  I think they really shine when paired with smoked pods.   :)

Thanks.  I did back a read the vinegar needs bumped to 2 cups.  I am only using 1/2 cup water.  The freezer stock seems to add a 1/2 cup of water. 

I make a dill vinegar the same way.....just wanted to check with ya.

I also found some other answers in Demonic's thread.  Just to recap....

Coriander seed,  mustard seed, dried ginger,  dried garlic (as emergency) are ok?   Basically hard seeds/roots.

What about dried herbs?  It would seem they could go bad/off flavor.

Rairdog said:
I also found some other answers in Demonic's thread.  Just to recap....

Coriander seed,  mustard seed, dried ginger,  dried garlic (as emergency) are ok?   Basically hard seeds/roots.

What about dried herbs?  It would seem they could go bad/off flavor.

Good point about the extra water from frozen ingredients.  

I don't tend to use much in the way of dried spices in my sauces but I can't see them being problematic unless used in too large a quantity.  Same would go for dried herbs, though I'd caution against using rosemary, clove, anise, mace or caraway - those can get overpowering pretty quickly.  I use dried peppers like crazy - actually prefer some peppers dried over fresh or frozen - but I don't use many herbs.  In hot sauce anyway.  :)  

SmokenFire said:

I have used peaches before with excellent results.  I think they really shine when paired with smoked pods.   :)

Does it matter what type of vinegar you use?  Can this be done with any type of vinegar?

tctenten said:
Does it matter what type of vinegar you use?  Can this be done with any type of vinegar?

Just my opinion I think plain white vinegar is best because it's got so little taste to begin with you get more pepper taste in it than with other vinegars.  I've used apple cider vinegar and white wine vinegar for the same/similar applications in the past and both were good.  I think its more a matter of personal preference.  

While we're on the subject I love to take some balsamic vinegar/sugar/black pepper and marinate sliced onions in it.  After a few days they are delicious with most everything. :)

Back