• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2016

Okay, back in the saddle again.  I checked out of this forum last September,
when my wife and I went on an 8-week vacation.  We had a blast, then I came
home to two months of yard work to catch up on, and holiday season to
contend with   :doh:   

I just this week finished grinding up all the dry pods from last season.  Managed
to get my seeds in to soak on Jan. 15th, and into the Jiffy Pellets on Jan. 16th.
I'm going for fewer varieties this season, but 3 or 4 plants of most varieties that
I grow out.  No small pod peppers this year, just too labor intensive for the results,
although I have some awesome small pod powders laid away.   Speaking of which,
I have so much powder I'm considering packaging and selling some this summer.  
I'm going to try to sell my fresh pods this Fall, so maybe no more powder production
until I need some, and then, just my favorites.  

2016 grow list and germination record:

Pod name                                             Source                                               seeds sown            germinated  

Aji Amarillo ................................ Peruvian Market, 4th gen. ................................... 6 ......................... 6 ................  100%
Yellow Scorpion......................... SpankyColts 2012, 4th gen. ................................ 9 ......................... 7 ................    77%
Scotch bonnet, TFM ................. Trippa 2013, 4th gen. .......................................... 9 ......................... 6 ................    66%
Fatali ......................................... Peppermania, 2012, 2nd gen. ............................. 9 ......................... 9 ................   100%
7 Pot Burgundy ........................ Sawyer 2014, 2nd gen. ....................................... 12 ......................  11 ................   92%
Red Rocoto .............................. Peruvian Market 2015, 1st gen. ........................... 6 .......................  5 .................    84%
JA Red Habanero .................... Devv/WalkGood 2014, 3rd gen. .......................... 12 ...................... 12 ................  100%
Bhut Jolokia Red ..................... SpankyColts 2012, 3rd gen. ................................ 12 ...................... 12 ...............  100%
Primo ....................................... MGold 2012, 2nd gen ........................................... 6 ........................  6 ...............  100%
Mystery Cross ......................... Trippa, 2014, F4 .................................................... 9 ........................  9 ...............  100%
Scotch Bonnet, Chocolate ...... GaGrowhead 2015, 2nd gen. ............................... 9 ........................  7 ................   77%
Padron ..................................... Spain 2015, 1st gen. ........................................... 12 ...................... 10 ................   84%
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate .......... GaGrowhead, 2nd gen. .......................,................ 6 .......................  5 ..................  84%

Total ........................................................................................................................ 117 .................. 105 ...............  89.7%

The first seeds began germinating on Jan. 22nd and continued until Feb. 5

1/29 - First watering of earliest germinating plants

2/2 - Begin light fertilizer routine on older seedlings:  Cal-Mag, 1 tsp / gal.
                                                                                          AK Fish Fertilizer, 1 tsp / gal. 
     - Start fan on taller seedlings

Gotta take advantage of those sun breaks. Pulled out my best Bhuts for some sun bathing.
0dedb3f625e427c66f6cb4cba86e61e7.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Trident chilli said:
JA Red Habs look great Paul .... don't give up on the bonnets if I can grow them in my short cool summer you can in Oregon ...

I applaud you for being able to do that, John   :clap:

I have had one really good plant with some true pods
out of all the ones I've tried.  It was a descendant of
Trippa's Scotch Bonnet TFM.  Even the MoA's I tried
didn't like me   :lol:
madlionsmith said:
Gotta take advantage of those sun breaks. Pulled out my best Bhuts for some sun bathing.

Nice, Matt - good luck getting them to color up
all the way.  Progress here is just darn slow
and drawn out, it seems.

I wonder if some hydroponic flower boosting nutrients would wake up these dormant pods just enough to get them all colored up and matured.

madlionsmith said:
I wonder if some hydroponic flower boosting nutrients would wake up these dormant pods just enough to get them all colored up and matured.

Try it with a quarter to half your plants, as a trial.  
Lightly at first, I would think.

But I'm conservative!

Found a few Chocolate Bhut Jolokia:

IMG_3540.JPG

Took almost everything off the plants.

F4 PDN x Bonda. Grouped by stages of
ripening. Going to dry at low temp to see
what kind of colors the dry pods / powder
have. Except green ones:

IMG_3544.JPG

BJ hybrid:

IMG_3545.JPG

PaulG said:
Hope I didn't offend...
Certainly not me, I for one, after 25 years of working in auto shops simply can not be offended ;)  Try moving from that environment to an education system...LOL

I've learned to bite my tongue :rolleyes: And I thought your response was just perfect.

PS. Nice pull!

Hoping that the last of the Rocotos will get far
enough along to ripen on the windowsill, at
Least:

IMG_3548.JPG

IMG_3549.JPG

IMG_3550.JPG

IMG_3551.JPG

IMG_3553.JPG

Awesome box of Bonnet love - two dozen prime
A+ pods in perfect shape. Thank you, Gary!
Can't wait to sample!

IMG_3554.JPG

A little Fall color just for fun:

IMG_3547.JPG

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Hopefully you are able to get a few more ripe rocoto before the season ends! They look soooo close to being ready too.

I think so, Dale.  Today is a sunny day, and the last pods I
picked like these ripened up in the kitchen window after
just a few days.  

Trident chilli said:
Nice bonsai especially the maple .... beautiful fall colour

Thanks, John.  I really should call them bonsai-in-training
since they are only 8-10 or so years old since digging up.  
Most of the pines are 8-15 years old.  It's fun to sort of mess
around with them.There are volunteer conifers and maples
coming up in the yard all the time, so I just let them grow for
a few years and then dig them up.

Thanks for this beautiful box, Paul! These big Aji Amarillo are some of my very favorite peppers of all, and are essentially impossible to grow here in the Gulf South...So this box is like Christmas to me!  :dance:

PG_box_oct25.jpg

windchicken said:
Thanks for this beautiful box, Paul! These big Aji Amarillo are some of my very favorite peppers of all, and are essentially impossible to grow here in the Gulf South...So this box is like Christmas to me!  :dance:

PG_box_oct25.jpg

Wow!  I can't believe how much the Ajis ripened up in
transit - they were 1/3 green when I boxed them up!

Enjoy them, brother!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
How are things after the tornadoes
Love the pdn x bonda
We were spared the high winds here,
but our favorite little town on the coast
Lost about 12 buildings along its main
Street.

Tristen's F4 cross is a winner for sure.
Here's a pic of the dried pods - the color
held quite well.

IMG_3557.JPG

These Red Habaneros were ripened in
a double paper sack with a banana:

IMG_3559.JPG

Some color showing on the 7 Pot Burgundy
brown phenotype at last. Will there be time
for the bag trick?:

IMG_3560.JPG

IMG_3561.JPG

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_3563.JPG

More rain on the way so these pods
will go into a banana bag. BJs and
Primos:

IMG_3575.JPG

Habaneros - the ones above looked like
this before the banana bag treatment:

IMG_3576.JPG

These ripening Rocotos will go on the
counter by kitchen window:

IMG_3577.JPG

Got a glimpse at what it might look like
when our sun begins to swell into a red
giant!:

IMG_3564.JPG

It was a double rainbow - the big one was
so bright the colors washed out!

Wow the brown bag trick works for peppers to?! At what stage does the pods have to be? Yellow or can they still be green?

Devv said:
Still lots to process I see ;) :shh:
Last batch, brother!

madlionsmith said:
Wow the brown bag trick works for peppers to?! At what stage does the pods have to be? Yellow or can they still be green?

The pods have to have started ripening, Matt.  It works
best with pods that are at least 1/3-1/2 ripe.  I haven't
had much luck bringing totally green pods to color in a
banana bag, but it's a great trick to save the last round
or two of semi-ripe pods.  Good luck.

Back