• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2016

Okay, back in the saddle again.  I checked out of this forum last September,
when my wife and I went on an 8-week vacation.  We had a blast, then I came
home to two months of yard work to catch up on, and holiday season to
contend with   :doh:   

I just this week finished grinding up all the dry pods from last season.  Managed
to get my seeds in to soak on Jan. 15th, and into the Jiffy Pellets on Jan. 16th.
I'm going for fewer varieties this season, but 3 or 4 plants of most varieties that
I grow out.  No small pod peppers this year, just too labor intensive for the results,
although I have some awesome small pod powders laid away.   Speaking of which,
I have so much powder I'm considering packaging and selling some this summer.  
I'm going to try to sell my fresh pods this Fall, so maybe no more powder production
until I need some, and then, just my favorites.  

2016 grow list and germination record:

Pod name                                             Source                                               seeds sown            germinated  

Aji Amarillo ................................ Peruvian Market, 4th gen. ................................... 6 ......................... 6 ................  100%
Yellow Scorpion......................... SpankyColts 2012, 4th gen. ................................ 9 ......................... 7 ................    77%
Scotch bonnet, TFM ................. Trippa 2013, 4th gen. .......................................... 9 ......................... 6 ................    66%
Fatali ......................................... Peppermania, 2012, 2nd gen. ............................. 9 ......................... 9 ................   100%
7 Pot Burgundy ........................ Sawyer 2014, 2nd gen. ....................................... 12 ......................  11 ................   92%
Red Rocoto .............................. Peruvian Market 2015, 1st gen. ........................... 6 .......................  5 .................    84%
JA Red Habanero .................... Devv/WalkGood 2014, 3rd gen. .......................... 12 ...................... 12 ................  100%
Bhut Jolokia Red ..................... SpankyColts 2012, 3rd gen. ................................ 12 ...................... 12 ...............  100%
Primo ....................................... MGold 2012, 2nd gen ........................................... 6 ........................  6 ...............  100%
Mystery Cross ......................... Trippa, 2014, F4 .................................................... 9 ........................  9 ...............  100%
Scotch Bonnet, Chocolate ...... GaGrowhead 2015, 2nd gen. ............................... 9 ........................  7 ................   77%
Padron ..................................... Spain 2015, 1st gen. ........................................... 12 ...................... 10 ................   84%
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate .......... GaGrowhead, 2nd gen. .......................,................ 6 .......................  5 ..................  84%

Total ........................................................................................................................ 117 .................. 105 ...............  89.7%

The first seeds began germinating on Jan. 22nd and continued until Feb. 5

1/29 - First watering of earliest germinating plants

2/2 - Begin light fertilizer routine on older seedlings:  Cal-Mag, 1 tsp / gal.
                                                                                          AK Fish Fertilizer, 1 tsp / gal. 
     - Start fan on taller seedlings

I see some nasty weather is coming your way, good on you for pulling before it hits ;)

Those habs full of water were pulled just in time, so glad you got them before they split.

Stay safe this weekend!

tsurrie said:
Nice pods. Love the photos. Stash is getting bigger. Come winter we ain't afraid :)
Haha, Uros, we mock the Winter weather, right ?
Thanks, my friend. Hope all is well with you!
madlionsmith said:
Wow, great looking hoard Paul. Looks like enough to keep you warm for the winter.
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Hey, Matt! There are some bright spots in the
late Fall harvest that I didn't predict last June.
Some for grinding and some for the freezer!
Ozzy2001 said:
Everything looks great!  I grew some Padrons last year.  I really liked them except for the inconsistency of heat.  It was like Russian roulette lol.
Thanks, Scott. The weather is really beating
things up, but the plants seem to be hanging
with no real damage yet.

I figure the Padron heat will average out with
powders! They can be pretty zesty!

Devv said:
I see some nasty weather is coming your way, good on you for pulling before it hits ;)

Those habs full of water were pulled just in time, so glad you got them before they split.

Stay safe this weekend!
Thanks, Scott, I think the worst weather will
be along the coast; hope they aviod the worst
case scenario.

Pulled a few more pods today.
F4's and BJ hybrids:

IMG_3519.JPG

A nice 7 Pot Burgundy brown phenotype:

IMG_3522.JPG

Is anyone else in the NW here? Still trying to grow peppers with some gnarly weather on the way. Got the polytunnel weighted down.

madlionsmith said:
Seeds for me?

I found a few, very few, BrainStrain seeds, Matt.
PM me your addy and I'll send them along...

madlionsmith said:
Is anyone else in the NW here? Still trying to grow peppers with some gnarly weather on the way. Got the polytunnel weighted down.

Best advice is keep 'em dry and warm, out of the wind if
you can.  Eventually the days will be so short there won't
be much going on.  My plants are getting pretty beat up - 
just hanging on until a frost finally tamps the lid down.

Your polytunnel should keep them safe for a few more weeks.

Check out the Pacific NW grow log:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/58314-the-pacific-northwest-glog-2016/page-1

tsurrie said:
All is well over here, but I see you have some serious wind over there. Stay safe man.
Thanks, my friend.
Typical wind and rain for us in the Tualatin Valley, Uros

stickman said:
Looks like a nice little flurry of activity in the PNW Paul... I guess good things come to those who wait, eh? ;)
Hey, Rickster!  I'm not sure if it's the waiting or just being lazy!

As i told Matt, just sort of waiting for the freezing shoe to fall.
 - Major wind
warnings on the coast 70 miles away.  We'll have a lot of yard
debris to pick up, but hopefully no real damage.

Thanks, buddy!

Yeah winds on the way. Ohh your over in Tualatin Valley. I'm in Sandy up by Mt Hood. A little colder but I'm gonna warn plants for another month hopefully.

madlionsmith said:
Yeah winds on the way. Ohh your over in Tualatin Valley. I'm in Sandy up by Mt Hood. A little colder but I'm gonna warn plants for another month hopefully.

Guess we dodged the bullet on that one, Matt.

Nice trays of Bonnets.  I've never been satisfied
with my Scotch Bonnets; for some reason they
have a hard time putting out decent "A+" pods.
It's a variety I'll probably skip, for awhile at least.

Hope your polytunnel survived the winds...

A few pix from yesterday -

JA Red Habaneros straining to turn red.
I have a feeling orange with red shoulders
is the best we can hope for. Which is not all
bad, of course, they look and taste great!
Some have nice shape:

IMG_3527.JPG

IMG_3530.JPG

Am holding out hope for a few more BJ
Chocolate pods:

IMG_3529.JPG

These Fatalis are the 'Limbo Dance' of pod ripening -
"How (s)low can you go?":

IMG_3537.JPG

Meanwhile, back at the Padrones:

IMG_3525.JPG

Devv said:
Wow! Quite a bit in the wings ;)

Are you going to move them into the garage to ripen? Seems like a lot of work though..
Nah, Scott, containers too heavy and no
room - double whammy of negatory factors.
I'd love to have a heated shed!

Your place is looking good, comrade

madlionsmith said:
I heard pepper plants will ripen faster if you bring them into your bedroom and breath on them.
Whatever turns you on, Matt !

Just don't get arrested

PaulG said:
Nah, Scott, containers too heavy and no
room - double whammy of negatory factors.
I'd love to have a heated shed!

Your place is looking good, comrade

Thanks! The work is never ending

Whatever turns you on, Matt !

Just don't get arrested

I had to laugh at that one ;)

Back