• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Austin87's 2016 Grow Log

March 8, 2016 - Post 1 for austin87's grow log 2016

Hey pepper heads! I'm pretty new to the forum but posted some basic info about me in the introduction section, and then asked some questions for answers, but I'm ready start my grow log here. I would love have support, criticism, ideas... Really anything to help learn.

Here goes my setup:

I've got a 2'x4' T5 fixture with 6500k bulbs and a heating mat under the tray. I have two cups of each variety, with 2 seeds per cup, for a total of 4 seeds for the following varieties:

Red/Yellow/Orange Scotch Bonnet
Chocolate Bhutlah
Cayenne
Jalapeño
Poblano/Ancho
BBG7 Yellow*
Red Moruga*
Wartryx*
*acquired in a trade

On the way I have
Bahamian Goat
Cascabel
Shishito
Carolina Reaper

I should have room to get at least 3 seeds per variety going, and possibly 6.

I would like to invest in a 6 or 8 bulb T5 but think I will make due with what I have on hand.

Stay hot pepper heads, shooting for weekly updates but will post more/less frequently as things change.

I needed to get a thermostat for my seed heating mat, set to 83 degrees. I was creeping up to the low 90s without it even after giving the cups a little more spacing.

None popping through yet.

Got my last 4 varieties planted this morning!

After having a couple seeds germinate I set up a fan for a really light breeze over the tops of the cups, but it's too cold in my garage. The air movement, even with the heating mat and the light, dropped my soil temps down to high 60s/low 70s. So I am thinking the fan is going to be a no go until more seeds sprout.

I would not rush to set up a fan until the seedlings become well established ... you have a nice little set up and appear to be doing nothing wrong ... seed germination in six days is good but don't expect that all will be like that some could be anything up to a month ... now don't fuss them just let nature take its course ...

So now in addition to the red and orange Scotch Bonnets, I have a red Moruga, jalepeño, cayenne, ancho/poblano also starting to pop through!

Hull bound seedlings, or helmet heads as they are more commonly called, shouldnt pose much of a problem, theyll usually come off on their own. If they are bugging you though, what I did was spritz them to keep them moist, then I would gently flick at them in the direction I could see the cotys going inside. Most popped right off, or were made loose enough that I could gently grab the tip and slide them off. If they tug back and dont want to come off, just leave them be and continue misting them, theyll come off eventually.

I have some really strong looking seelings!

3/5-3/6 plant date:
(planted/germinated)
4/4 Red Scotch Bonnet
3/4 Orange Scotch Bonnet
2/4 Yellow Scotch Bonnet
3/4 Chocolate Bhutlah
2/4 Ancho/Poblano
3/4 Red Moruga
3/4 Cayenne
1/4 Wartryx
3/4 YBBG7

3/12 Plant Date:
0/4 Bahamian Goat
0/4 Shishito
0/4 Cascabel
0/3 Carolina Reaper

A lot are looking good, but I have a couple where one seed germinated WAY later than the first one, so the little guys like the one below will probably get thinned out to let the bigger and stronger ones thrive.

In the next week or so I will get all of them into their own individual cups. Thinking May 1-May 15 for getting them outside for the season.

Sweet growth and germ rates, this year seems to be full of strong seedlings and fast germination.

It is... The Year of the Pepper.

Finally planted out. I think I stunted them with some overwatering and over-fertilizing but I think they have recovered and should take off now that they are out. 5 gal grow bags for peppers, 10 gal grow bags for early girl and cherry tomatoes.

My mix is Sungro #4, compost, additional perlite, spent coffee grounds, and bonemeal.

Got some problems with a couple plants:

These are my 2 yellow bubblegum 7 pot peppers, at first I thought it was a calcium deficiency so I hit it with Cal Mag but when it didn't get any better I came to the conclusion of broad mites. I hope I don't lose these guys.

I have some Azamax and Mighty Wash on the way from Amazon, when they get here tomorrow I'm going to cut off the most affected leaves and hit them pretty hard. A couple other plants have very minimal curl of the newest growth, so everything is getting the business once the treatments arrive:

The rest of my kiddos are looking pretty good:

Healthy Bahamian goat

Carolina Reaper looking good

This shishito has a TON of flowers that should be blooming any day now

Here's a cayenne, that and the cascabels have opened their first flowers

Here's the wide shot, cherry tomatoes back left, regular tomatoes back middle

Will update after treatment for the broad mites.

Back