• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Buffalo Chicken dip

Hi, I'm new to really hot pods and I don't want to over do it for some friends.
I'm planning on making a batch of Frank's RedHot Buffalo Chicken dip, and I was recently gifted with some dehydrated pods. 7potJonah, Choc. Scorpion, Peach Wasp.

I was going to make a batch of dip and split it in half. Half regular dip, half hot.
How many/which pods should I use to spice it up the hot half batch?
How do I use them? soak/puree them? grind them dry?
I'm not looking to melt anyone's face off, but have an enjoyable introduction to hot stuff.

Thanks!

How much dip are you making ?All those peppers are pretty warm and very hot to people not use to them.I would not use more then a 1/4 to 1/2 of pod for a small batch.If your making a big batch maybe half or 1 whole pod.Just remember a little goes a long way with newbies.I would soak a pepper in water and use the water too.Just remember to glove up before going inside.You don't want to have the burn down below.Don't wipe your face with the back of your hand neither. :drunk:  :drunk:  :drunk:

So here is the recipe from Franks website...
If i make half the batch hot, maybe use a 1/4 dehydrated pod?
Maybe I'll make 1 batch regular and another batch hot using a half pod?

FRANK'S REDHOT BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP
logo.png

P083115123927_4.jpg

MAKES: 4 cups dip 
PREP TIME: 5 min
COOK TIME: 20 min

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
  • 1 (8 oz. pkg.) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup FRANK'S RedHot® Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce or FRANK'S RedHot® Buffalo Wings Sauce
  • 1/2 cup blue cheese or ranch dressing
  • 1/2 cup crumbled bleu cheese or your favorite shredded cheese
Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 350°F. COMBINE all ingredients and spoon into shallow 1-quart baking dish.BAKE 20 minutes or until mixture is heated through; stir. Garnish with chopped green onions if desired. Serve with crackers and/or vegetables.

Hey Malarky~

Sounds like a good tasting dip!  If you are making the above recipe and dividing it into 2 dishes, I'd suggest using a couple shallow 8"-9" pie plates for baking.  As others have posted, in that small amount of dip, 1/4-1/2 of a superhot will make a statement most can't handle.  I'd suggest grinding into powder and then add 1/8 teaspoon powder to 1/2 of the recipe.  See how it tastes, you can always add more, even after it's baked.  Just sprinkle on top...

Have Fun!
SL

Hey Malarky

That's a 4 cup dish.I would use a 1/4 pod.That dish with a 1/2 of pod will pack some real heat.Most people can't handle,that much heat. :snooty: If you use powder be careful with it.That stuff goes air born when you make it. :mope:  :mope:  

My thinking is that since it's a dip, you'll be "diluting" the heat with whatever you dip into it. Personally, I'd probably start with at least one dried superhot pod. All that cream cheese, blue cheese and ranch dressing is going to tone the heat down a lot, too. If I were making it, I'd probably crush up at least two pods like a TS CARDI or maybe just one really hot variety like an SB7J or a reaper. 
     Just my $.02. Use them at your discretion. They're probably covered in capsaicin residue that rubbed off my fingers.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     My thinking is that since it's a dip, you'll be "diluting" the heat with whatever you dip into it. Personally, I'd probably start with at least one dried superhot pod. All that cream cheese, blue cheese and ranch dressing is going to tone the heat down a lot, too. If I were making it, I'd probably crush up at least two pods like a TS CARDI or maybe just one really hot variety like an SB7J or a reaper. 
     Just my $.02. Use them at your discretion. They're probably covered in capsaicin residue that rubbed off my fingers.

Agree, 1 litre of sauce with 1/4 pod?  It won't be really noticeable in a creamy sauce like that.  Drop a pod in there, they will be fine.  Or better still make 2 cups with a quarter and 2 cups with a full and let people work up to it. 

Update! 
I made a double batch of Frank's RedHot Buffalo Chicken Dip. I then filled a crockpot LittleDipper warmer with approx. 2 cups of dip.
I did my best to powder(magicBullet-did fairly well) HALF a dehydrated Choc Scorpion pod that was gifted to me by Yellowfin2na.
I added the entire powdered half pod to the little dipper and stirred it in. 

It was great! :dance:  My friends really liked it. I almost wish I added the other half pod. But the heat was very comfortable when it was smothered in all that creamy sauce. Nice long lasting whole mouth warmth. Surprisingly no throat burn.

Thumbs up for sure!

NICE!  Hopefully it'll inspire your friends to try other hot foods,  get 'em hooked on the heat.  :)

Back