• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Some asshole stole my peppers and tomatoes!!

I am so angry!!!!!  :mouthonfire:

I live in new york city, so my garden is on the side in an area where anyone can wander in (even though its on a private property) since theres no gate. This whole year I've reading up/learning about gardening and slaving away and working my butt off as a newbie gardener. I've been waiting patiently for my plump and juicy tomatoes to ripen, for my peppers to turn fully red, and today I come in the garden to find ALLLL of my ripening tomatoes and peppers STOLEN!!!!!

WHAT THE HELL?? WHO DOES THAT....

Not one single thing left. (only unripe punny tomatoes were left. How considerate of you tomato thief!) It can't be an animal because wouldn't they atleast throw them on the floor, or leave a trace with bite marks on the plant?? I have a hard time believing that an animal would only take the ripe fruits. 

What do I do?? How can I stop this from happening?  :mope:  :tear:

HOW I FEEL RIGHT NOW ABOUT THIS ASSHOLE
Screen%20Shot%202016-07-25%20at%208.05.31%20PM_zpsgeeqpcjj.png

cathee said:
What do I do?? How can I stop this from happening?

A 7' gate with an electric fence. Cameras wouldn't hurt. That really sucks Cathee. I have heard about this happening in small little "Pea-Patch" gardens. You know, the community gardens where you get like a 6' X 10' piece of dirt and everybody loves each other? Well, that's not always the case. I can only imagine what shit would and does go missing in NYC.

As heart breaking as it is, try to shake it off and start over. That really really sucks tho.

Scoville DeVille said:

As heart breaking as it is, try to shake it off and start over. That really really sucks tho.

I know :,( I was practically crying my eyes out when I found out everything was missing. I was so proud of my garden too! People suck.  :mope:  :mope:  :mope:

I know its just a silly garden but these plants are like your babies! And it felt like this person kidnapped my babies!! 

Very sorry to hear of that, cathee. While it doesn't change the circumstances, try to keep in mind that you personally are safe and unharmed. Plus, as said earlier, it might have been someone truly in need.

Then go to a hardware store or two and ask about sharp chicken wire and a means to install it in the desired location (bring pics) - I don't remember the actual name of it, but when I went to the hardware store and asked for chicken wire and explained it was to keep a pest out (groundhog), the guy recommended the sharp stuff. It's got to be handled with protective gloves and it's best installed as a two-man job. Mind you, you will probably still end up scratched up in the process, so be sure to also wear long sleeves and pants. It won't stop someone who is determined to get your produce, but it will definitely stop opportunistic thieving - most people who take things that don't belong to them won't take things they have to work at to get. 

Not going against anybody here directly but, fuck that. People in need and thieves are two different things. Just because you are going through a bad time doesn't give you the rite to steal. If you are truly down and out, go steal food from Safeway or Cosco, not someone's private back yard with 5 plants, and take EVERYTHING.

Or better yet, if you're in "need"... get a job or grow your own damm tomatoes.

Sorry to hear this as I am VERY passionate about my plants too.
If i were you, I would do as smoke advised. Be really methodical.Is there a way you can put some shade cloth as to hide them from anyone passerbys?

Put up some sort of cloth or whatever to hide them from other people.

Then grow other nightshades as well, such as Datura. If people break in again, they'll steal those too. Once. And you can say they were ornamental too because their flowers are really really nice.

I know your pain, had that with a bush of tomatoes, I was gutted, still hurts, all the time and effort put into it only to be snatched away.

That's very frustrating.

It's no better here in the UK. Several allotment holders round this way had all their Strawberries stolen. It was such a quantity taken, we imagine they are being taken to be sold.

The police have been contacted! Hopefully this stops before more crops ripen.

On a slight upside, the thief misses the pleasure of growing for themselves, taking credit, learning and chatting on these forums\sites. I guess they don't care.... but I like to think they're missing out!

BigB said:

Get and electrified scat mat and make a landmine area around your plants

I was thinking Bouncing Bettys and pungi sticks myself.

Cathee... I had all of my corn stolen last year. I would've been more pissed had the deer gotten it. I think it was the homeless, however. I'm not mad... especially since I put in the gator infested moat. Now I just need to get across it myself. ;)

The thing that gets me is that if someone needs something, all they have to do is ask.

tctenten said:
Anyone know where Pookie was today?

Pm your mailing address and I will send you some peppers in a couple of weeks when I start getting meaningful harvests. I would like to think it was someone who was hungry and not just a low-life thief.

OCD Chilehead said:
Sorry to hear about the garden. It's one thing losing out to pest and Mother Nature, but thieves. I have no patience for thieves.

Hit me up in a month and I'll send ya a box of Aji Pineapples.

96strat said:
Sorry to here. I can hook you up in a couple weeks just pm me.
great community here!

Put up one of these....
20619.jpg

Im sure you could even go as far as to make a real looking "fake" camera by painting a solo cup black, and adding a few odds and ends to make it look the part.

A "trail cam" could also be another idea to actually catch the culprit, but would be far more costly.

SR.

Back