• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Pineapple pulled pork

My girlfriend is leaving a week from today for a year long program for school, so we sent her off with a little party. She requested tropical as the theme.

I used Pepper Stout Beef (http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html) as the theoretical basis for this cook (smoke, then braise in liquid with added vegetables). Since PSB is hardly tropical, I went with pork butt and pineapple

***This made 2 pans of pork, 1 butt in each foil pan***
2 5lb bone in butts
1 can chunk pineapple in juice
1 can chunk pineapple in heavy syrup
1 can crushed pineapple in juice
1 bottle high quality cream soda
3 oz high quality aged rum
2 sweet onions, sliced
1 large red onion, sliced

Acquire pork butt, hit it heavy with salt and pepper, then a 50/50 mix of brown/white sugar

It sat overnight, it would probably be better to do the sugar right before going on the grill, but I had to start it at 3am to make lunch, and that was that   :cool:

3am wake up, light the grill, on by 3:35am with some cherry wood chunks and Stubbs. My focus was off 

Around 9am at about 160 internal

Into the foil pans, on top of onions (the one on the right has a couple sliced Fresno chiles but had to keep it mild for the crowd)

Split the cans of chunk pineapple (1 in juice, 1 in syrup) between the 2 pans, adding all juice and syrup. Pour 1 bottle each cream soda over the pork, add a couple ounces of rum to each pan

Split the can of crushed pineapple on top of the 2 butts

Wrap tightly with foil and put back on the kettle (I put one pan in the basement and one pan on the cooking grate), cook until fall apart tender (about 3 hours)

We served it over white rice with Hawaiian sweet rolls on the side. The guests brought several sides (pasta salad, salad, cheese plate, etc.,) but the pork was the hit. No plated pics   :( I always seem to forget that one lately.

Thanks for looking

austin87 said:

Into the foil pans, on top of onions (the one on the right has a couple sliced Fresno chiles but had to keep it mild for the crowd)

Split the cans of chunk pineapple (1 in juice, 1 in syrup) between the 2 pans, adding all juice and syrup. Pour 1 bottle each cream soda over the pork, add a couple ounces of rum to each pan

Yum!

+1
I do pineapple rib marinade over night and they do come out pretty whitish 
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Did you find it changed the texture? I ruined a very expensive ham using pineapple as the acid ate the pork before I did...

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Did you find it changed the texture? I ruined a very expensive ham using pineapple as the acid ate the pork before I did...

TNKS said:
+1
I do pineapple rib marinade over night and they do come out pretty whitish 

No problems here. Did you use fresh pineapple? It's my understanding the the process of canning pineapple kills or renders inactive enzymes called papain (which is also found in papaya) and bromelian. And I have used fresh pineapple in a pork tenderloin marinade before (it was long, maybe at least overnight and possibly 24 hours) and basically had a mushy piece of inedible crap.

https://communities.acs.org/thread/3188

Hawaiianero said:
That's a whole lotta pineapple :drooling:
I especially like the cream soda idea. Wifey likes to use root beer which is ok but I think cream sode would work better.
Gave me some ideas for my next butt :party:

I actually got the idea from seeing people use root beer. It left a nice sweetness but not a vanilla flavor after it was all cooked.

Back