• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

=[ GM's Making Something With Peppers ]=

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think that I'd enjoy making some sauce or such ...

Compared to homebrewing, it's pretty relaxed seeming ...

If you aren't too anal about chunks etc, it can apparently be as simple as de-seeding and prepping some pods and veg, cooking it up, stick blending it, and then straining it into glass jars while still hot ...

I'm not trying to make it sound like people's sauces are that simple - I realize people use food mills and check pH's and more ... but, for my purposes of having some fun, it can be that simple, right? ...

grantmichaels said:
I actually think that I'd like making some sauce ...

Compared to brewing, it's pretty relaxed seeming ...

If you aren't too anal about chunks etc, it can be as simple as de-seeding and prepping some pods and veg, cooking it up, stick blending it, and then straining it into glass jars while still hot, right? ...

I'm not trying to make it sound like people's sauces are that simple - I realize people use food mills and check pH's and stuff ... but like, for my purposes of having some fun, it can be that simple, right? ...

Totally, you can make fresh sauces even, for near term eating (3-5 days refrigerated) where PH isn't as critical as shelf stable sauces. I make a lot of sauces that way. My verde sauce is always done that way, with no heat. IMO mexican verde sauce should never be heated and only eaten fresh, never canned or bottled.

grantmichaels said:
Yeah, my recent adventures in making Mexican salsas has me better prepared to utilize pods when people send them than in times past, certainly!

:cheers:

Spend a day or two in the sauce making threads, and you'll feel like you stayed at a holiday inn express. Its really easy to make shelf stable sauce all you need is a ph tester. Its way easier than making beer. I bet you would make some good sauces if you got into it.

hogleg said:

Spend a day or two in the sauce making threads, and you'll feel like you stayed at a holiday inn express. Its really easy to make shelf stable sauce all you need is a ph tester. Its way easier than making beer. I bet you would make some good sauces if you got into it.

I have a half-dozen ways to test pH but it's a purposeful avoidance ...

One day, and I mean, if I have extra pods around - I try not to waste life ...

:party:

really don't even need a ph tester unless you use a lot of fruits and stuff, just a splash of citrus or vinegar and you should be good. 

I don't think i've made a sauce yet that was over a ph of 4. Most the time i'm under 3.5 

grantmichaels said:
I actually think that I'd like making some sauce ...
duh, get on it...

grantmichaels said:
If you aren't too anal about chunks
:lol:

Anywho, it's pretty satisfying. To have an idea in your mind and to put it into a bottle and it's what you had in your mind. You'll tinker a bit but if you can cook and make smoothies and spaghetti sauce from scratch, you have a leg up.

The Hot Pepper said:
Anywho, it's pretty satisfying. To have an idea in your mind and to put it into a bottle and it's what you had in your mind. You'll tinker a bit but if you can cook and make smoothies and spaghetti sauce from scratch, you have a leg up.

That was GM-speak for I like continued sex, so I'm not buying a food mill right now ...

You don't need a food mill for a smooth sauce. All mine have been silky smooth. Ever made a marinara from canned or fresh plum tomatoes and it ends up smooth?

Ever made cranberry sauce from whole cranberries?

Cooking and blender all you need for hot sauce.

yea, I just bought a foodmill because I want to be lazy and not have to deseed pods, figured that would help filter out the seeds. It's a pain in the butt to do though. I made the puree with the food mill, lots of pulp got filtered out.. damn near a pepper juice instead of puree. 

Just leaving this here

Carne Asada con Guajillo salsa Y Machego Chile Rellenos

FXibGb7.jpg

Guajillo Salsa y marinade:

• 4 guajillo chiles toasted and rehydrated
  • 1 pablano roasted
  • roasted garlic 4 cloves
  • 2T olive oil
  • 1can chipotle sauce
  • 1T rice vinegar
  • 1tsp kosher salt
  • 2T soy sauce
  • 1T dark brown  sugar
  1. Throw ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth

hwbBEng.jpg

Salsa Verde:

• Roasted Tomatillos
  • Roasted Garlic
  • 1 Roasted white Onion
  • 2 Guajillo Chiles
  • 3 roasted jalapenos
  • 1 Roasted Pablano (from frozen stock)
  • aji mango, mystery citrus, lemon drop x inca berry, cor de laranjada, goatsweed and a lone orange wild brazil
  • handful of sun sugar cherry tomatoes
  • 1 sprig of green onion
  • 1T distiled vinegar
  • 1T kosher salt
  1. Throw ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth

Rice:

• 2T olive ooil
  • 4T chopped onion
  • 1 1/2 cup jasmine rice
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup favorite salsa
  • 1/2 a roasted pablano
  1. heat oil in pan, stir in onion and cook until tender
  2. mix rice into skillet stirring often, when rice beins to brown stir in chicken broth and salsa, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 mins. 

The Hot Pepper said:
Yeah take the seeds out and the pulp cook down till smooth is what I say.
I used to use a food mill but yeah it took all the pulp out too. Now I deseed before cooking. You would theoretically lose some heat since you pulling out a bunch of the placenta with the seeds but with superhots it's not really noticeable. A stainless steel pot and a stick blender work just fine and you end up with a thicker, less runny sauce.

Okay, I actually like the sauces with more texture, truth be told ... perhaps unsurprisingly, as I prefer rustic to homogenized stuff almost unanimously too ...
It photographs better too, which is part of the appeal to me ...

I want the sauce to stay where I put it ... period.

Think of apple sauce and how you start with fresh apples. You remove the core and seeds. You cook with spices. And you cook until you like it, smooth or chunky. And with hot sauce you have the blender as well, plus, other liquids. It's balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back