• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

=[ GM's Making Something With Peppers ]=

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think that I'd enjoy making some sauce or such ...

Compared to homebrewing, it's pretty relaxed seeming ...

If you aren't too anal about chunks etc, it can apparently be as simple as de-seeding and prepping some pods and veg, cooking it up, stick blending it, and then straining it into glass jars while still hot ...

I'm not trying to make it sound like people's sauces are that simple - I realize people use food mills and check pH's and more ... but, for my purposes of having some fun, it can be that simple, right? ...

I make hot sauce a bit differently than most people on the forum from what I've read over the years, but I use the blender first, then add to the pot and cook. So for example, deseed pods, put in blender with pineapple juice, vinegar, liquids etc. you want, blend it up, pour into pot, cook, taste, adjust with your spices, salt, etc... cook until smooth and are happy with taste. I imagine you could do the same with the food processor.

You can use the blender multiple times to adjust, adding more. You can even use water if not wanting to add more vinegar or sweet juice, and cook it off. But I like cooking the slurry, and not adding the whole ingredients to the pot.

Pros: You get a fresher tasting sauce imo because you don't have to "cook it down" as long because you blended it. You've already pulverized it so you are at the point of cooking pulp not peppers down.
Cons: You kind of have to know a bit about the ratios beforehand so what you put in the pot only needs minor adjustments.

Because I love MC, and the caramelized carrot soup is widely recognized as being mindblowingly awesome, and there's a bell pepper variant in MC at home I can riff on ...

d2f66b0e61eaac88dce3716a505d9060.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
Not sure what MC is either lol.
Modernist Cuisine ...

Oh Modernist Cuisine. Pretty sure it wasn't Master Chef lol...

D3monic said:
I do a rough blend in the processor, cook off and then hit with the stick blender after its all hot..just gotta be careful. I wear goggles because I had it spray across my face. Could of hurt a lot more than it did. 

Good method.

I think Grant is all set with gadgets on this one.

Pumpking soup I made... back when I had a flog

Pimptastic German Pumpkin soup. 

---
Organic (if available) Ingredients:

2 Small Baking Pumpkins
1 Large Onion, chopped
1 Leek, chopped
3 Large Carrots, peeled and sliced
3 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Large Tomato, chopped 
1 Small Root of Ginger, around 3" Peeled and grated (my food processor has an awesome grater attachment for that)
1 large Sweet Potato, peeled and cut into cubes
1 pack of Pastured Bacon, cooked and chopped
3 cups Chicken broth
1 cup Water
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Kerrygold Butter
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
1/4 Teaspoon Salt, plus extra for sprinkling
1/8 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
1/8 Teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. 
Take one of the pumpkins, cut it in half, and scoop out  insides. 
Save the seeds to roast in the oven for a yummy snack later (Big part of being primal is not wasting usable food sources)
Cut the pumpkin into quarters and peel off the skin with a potato peeler.  

Once the skin has been peeled, chop the pumpkin up into roughly 1 inch cubes. Set them aside.

Now take the other pumpkin and cut off the top as you would when carving a pumpkin.
Use a spoon to scoop out all of the seeds.
Sprinkle some sea salt inside the pumpkin and place a tablespoon of butter inside of it and place the cap back on. Place this pumpkin in a casserole dish and bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes, or until the inside of the pumpkin is fairly soft and the outside has turned a deep orange color. DON'T FORGET ABOUT IT (I did and it was too soft to use as a bowl but still tasted yummy)

Heat the fourth cup of olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a very large pot. Add the onions and saute until nearly transparent, about 10 minutes.
Then add the chopped pumpkin, potatoes, carrots and coriander.
Allow to cook for 20 minutes, stirring every couple minutes to cook the vegetables evenly. 

Then add the garlic, ginger, leek and tomato and allow to cook for 20 minutes, stirring every couple minutes again.

Add Chicken broth, Water,  paprika, sea salt, cloves and cayenne pepper and mix well. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes.  
Once done ladle it into a blender or food processor and make a nice puree of the soup. 

Ladle the pureed soup into the roasted pumpkin (assuming you didn't ruin yours) and serve it hot sprinkled with the chopped bacon and a dash of cinnamon. 
You can also mix in a splash of heavy cream if your not a dairy paleonazi, I did in mine. 

ENJOY! 

Once I knew GIP was sending pods I started poking around a little ...

This is a textbook case for pressure-cooking in terms of retaining flavors, time savings, retaining volume, and (apparently) caramelization ... and everyone knows the M may well be for Maillard, not Michael ...

I think I might change my middle name, lol ...

Big YESSIR to that soup, D3! That's my kind of shiiiit ...

All depends on the sauce if I wanted roasted flavor, I'd roast first (or caramelize whatever), but then blend with liquid, then add to pot. I just like cooking hot sauce that way, blending with liquid first. Whatever works for you.

I'm totally in the mood to literally do this ... and at once totally not in the mood to research how to formulate a recipe to do this, or look up what items are no bueno ...

I have a whole pineapple on the counter ... it's looking at me ... it knows I was planning to sous vide fillets of it with jalapeno and fish sauce (then seared), and I think it's skkkrd I might migrate those plans into a bottle ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back