• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

=[ GM's Making Something With Peppers ]=

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think that I'd enjoy making some sauce or such ...

Compared to homebrewing, it's pretty relaxed seeming ...

If you aren't too anal about chunks etc, it can apparently be as simple as de-seeding and prepping some pods and veg, cooking it up, stick blending it, and then straining it into glass jars while still hot ...

I'm not trying to make it sound like people's sauces are that simple - I realize people use food mills and check pH's and more ... but, for my purposes of having some fun, it can be that simple, right? ...

FreeportBum said:
I would just follow AJ's puree recipe but smoke the pods first you will be rollin 

I'm gonna send you some orange and yellow BBG puree so you can see what I'm talking about

:cheers:

people have pointed that out often, it's a PITA ... simple is what'll get me interested ...

best-case techniques are for after i've decided i like something ...

if i had a $ for every time someone pointed me to AJ's puree .............................................................................

if i recall, even AJ says to go outside ... and f' that right now #zika

grantmichaels said:

people have pointed that out often, it's a PITA ... simple is what'll get me interested ...

best-case techniques are for after i've decided i like something ...

if i had a $ for every time someone pointed me to AJ's puree .............................................................................

if i recall, even AJ says to go outside ... and f' that right now #zika
lol I would just stick to buying the sauces you like then from the safety of your hamster cage :rofl:

I can't imagine anything easier then aj's recipe 

now that I think about it, I sent you a jar of yellow manzano puree using aj's recipe, did you ever crack in to it? 

FreeportBum said:
lol I would just stick to buying the sauces you like then from the safety of your hamster cage :rofl:

I can't imagine anything easier then aj's recipe 

now that I think about it, I sent you a jar of yellow manzano puree using aj's recipe, did you ever crack in to it? 

i thought i was opening your jar when i opened tctenten's ... so, not yet ...

OK....I read the minimalist whatever...

Can the pressure cooker be deglazed to get all those yummy brown bits off the bottom of the pan?

I'm not getting it, guess I'd have to try it before knocking it.

I have both, but I think some might be conflating caramelization with Maillard again ...

Liquids caramelize, and while they technically darken too, it's not browning per se ...

For example, "kettle caramelization" when brewing beer ...

In both the case of brewing, and boiling, the boiling point of water is the rate-limiting-step in terms of temperature ... which slows, and somewhat limits caramelization ... it does not stop it, however ... low temp caramelization is there, but the timeline's loooong ...

Pressure increases the boiling point from 212 to 250F ish ...

Caramelization happens in shorter time, for the higher temp, making a pressure cooker a better boiler if caramelization is wanted ...

And I like caramelization and pineapple together, but especially with fish sauce ... gimme!

( http://modernistcuisine.com/2013/02/how-pressure-cookers-work/ )

grantmichaels said:
And I like caramelization and pineapple together, but especially with fish sauce ... gimme!

You making hot sauce or Thai food? :lol:

Ah well, there's a good idea anyway. ;)

The Hot Pepper said:
SL I'm gathering he has one of those multi-use pressure cookers that browns and does other things like slow cook etc.

The fun part about the electric one, is that my Boss bought me that one Scovilingus has as well - and I can put some chips in it and add smoke to the party ...

But that's not what I've plan for the pineapple one ...

My first hot sauce was a sweet pineapple hab with pale ale in it, for my first sauce it rocked, I still love pineapple sauces. I made 2 sauces that day and still remember it. Have fun dude!

The Hot Pepper said:

My first hot sauce was a sweet pineapple hab with pale ale in it, for my first sauce it rocked, I still love pineapple sauces. I made 2 sauces that day and still remember it. Have fun dude!

Yeah, I'm going to give it a proper go tomorrow ...

Just finished my work until Sunday night, so I'm completely free tomorrow now ...

I'll run to get the right fruit/produce etc, or I'll Shipt it, we'll see ...

Either way ... matzo ball soup tonight, and some hot sauce action tomorrow ...

It sounds fun, and it plays right into my Asian soup theme that I'm picking up steam on ...

And well, it's fresh pod season, so might as well do it while it's best ...

9ce2501a5a4eda0515da91bdddecb2fd.jpg

38e9beef0b0da8a25b3ed89788f9c1d2.jpg

Nah, not yet ... just rinsed the dust from the swing-top's from being on top of the uppers, so far ... and found the box of woozies in the pantry room ...

I figure for getting going, I'll refrigerate the earliest bottles and let myself just go through the motions a little bit ... stick blending ...

I'll end up cracking out on it, if I like doing it ... but no sense piling up expectation on myself before I even start, or I'll risk the GM classic - failure to launch ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back