• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Help me find name of dish

Decade a go, I know an immigrant from Nigeria who had a carry out. Front of carry out was normal potato chips and bear.  Back of carry out was bulk foods he had shipped from Nigeria.  Most just sort of staples in their diet.  I fell in love with this one thing but can not remember the name to look for it.

It was an off yellow / golden brown powder.  I think it was spice and crushed peas or maybe beans.  You put it in water, simmer, let cool, and you get something kind of like hummas. Much more spice than most hummas.

Name was something like Cherose or Sherose.  I doubt it was strictly Nigerian, just that it was a staple there.  Clue?

Well suya spice is their general spice mix and in a lot of dishes. However it is not a ground pea or bean, it could have been a package of egusi with suya spice in it already? Or maybe it was added when cooked? But it is hummus-like.

Bahaha. Dude I love shiro I eat it all the time. You have good taste. Yes it is chick peas.

When I get it the finished dish is brick red.

The Hot Pepper said:
Bahaha. Dude I love shiro I eat it all the time. You have good taste. Yes it is chick peas.
Ye, I am an odd red neck.  Do you purchase the base powder or make it?  Louisville is about an hour from me.  I have to go to doctors there all time.  Figure either way, there has got to be a place there that carries the stuff.  There is a flat bread that shiro is traditionally served on.  Kind of sour taste.  Something like injara.  Lous wife use to make it and sell it at the carry out.

The bread it is served on is called injera
The rest i dunno

Had shiro last night. Took a pic but it looks like something from the other end and not very appetizing lol.

Could be.  Have friend that works near the carry out where i first discovered it.  Turns out, the guy that owned it sold it but still owns the building.  He also owns the building where she works. She said if he knows, and he will cause his wife fixes it, she will find out.

Hey, clearly I am about five months late to the party (and kinda new to THP), but shiro is basically a humus seasoned with a berbere spice mix.  The spice mix is kinda like a curry powder, jerk spice, or chili powder in the sense that there's a basic recipe, but every family/cook has their own little secret mix.  If you're into cooking at all, it's pretty easy to make if you have a spice grinder/mortar and pestle.  You could just make a big batch without spice and keeping grinding and adding different dried pods till you get a taste you like.

This is a basic recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/berbere-spice-mix-ethiopian-454642 

As far as finding injera in Kentucky, that may be a bit more of a daunting task as it is made from teff, which is a grain native to East Africa.

Back