• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

It aint Mac&Cheese but sure is cheesy

I LOVE scalloped taters and Au gratin taters with ham. I made these the other day and they vanished. Even the cooking dish was was almost clean before hitting the sink.

Scalloped taters and ham. I added some Cabots White Oak cheddar and a pretty good flat ham. Lightly browned the ham first.You must fry the ham first to dry it out a little bit and crisp the fat. Baked at 400F until the top is almost burnt.

taters_zpsamuvpzmh.jpg

sicman said:
Moms served that up 3 times a week back in the day.

Mine made it often too. It was one of the ways to make sure your butt was home for dinner. Other favorites were a Chicken, broccoli, rice casserole and something she called Chicken Enchiladas which was also a casserole.....They were all fairly cheesy..

On a side note the Cabot's White Oak cheddar is about perfect for this dish. I like their Alpine White cheddar better but its so good i just eat it by the slice or chunk. If you never tried the Cabot's Alpine White you really need to try it..

This is the ham i use from Costco. Mine is currently selling them in half hams for $2.49lb which is a steal for ham of this quality. I wish i could find who actually makes this ham. It might be Cooks but im not sure.
Kirkland-Master-Carve-Ham-Package.jpg

More cheesy goodness

Baked ricotta ravioli with meat sauce. Topped with mozzarella, provolone, fresh chopped Lombardo peppers from the garden and a healthy dose of Italian seasoning.. Garnished with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano.

P1020334_zpsajpxkvuj.jpg

P1020335_zpsgegmrx9e.jpg

P1020337_zpsyumwgtco.jpg

I have one confession to make. This is from Costco (on sale atm). Its called Ravioli Lasagna and its outstanding with the simple additions i used. Just add the seasoning, a little provolone and peppers on top. Bake covered for 1hr at 400F and 10 more minutes uncovered.

Scoville DeVille said:
Damm dude. You're killing it here !

And these aren't in the TD, because, why?

attachicon.gif
51306197.jpg

This one cannot be entered because the base M&C is the one made fresh in house by Costco. I "doctor" it up with my own additions. Its quite good for a store bought but lacks the sharper bite of a good cheddar. ATM they have it on sale for $2 off per package.

1 pan of Costco fresh Mac&Cheese
4oz of smoked turkey (diced)
3-4tbs bacon crumbles
About 2 tsp mild gochu, use paprika if you prefer.
About 1/4 tsp fresh cracked Tellicherry black pepper ( reserve some for serving)
2oz of good white sharp cheddar but it could surely use more.
About 4tbs Maesri fried shallots

Bake covered at 350F for 45min and then uncovered until its as browned as you like. Mine could have used more but the shallots were starting to burn and i was starving.

The Maesri fried shallots are available at most Indian and Asian markets. They have ZERO sodium added, fried in vegetable or soybean oil and have a nice sweetness to them. Other brands ive found are fried in palm oil. They are the bomb on top of green bean casserole. This was actually the first time ive used them as a topping for mac&cheese but it wont be the last. They were delicious on it.

All the additions are just added to the top. The smoked turkey is just lightly pushed down into the M&C to help keep it from drying out. I only added it for the "smokiness". Next time i will probably use Cabots Seriously Sharp Cheddar. I like a little more "bite" in my M&C.

Oh damm! Maesri fried shallots on top of GB casserole? Lordy lordy lordy that sounds awesome! It sounds like it would be good on a baked potato or even chopped up in mashed potatoes!

Yeah buddy!

Scoville DeVille said:
Oh damm! Maesri fried shallots on top of GB casserole? Lordy lordy lordy that sounds awesome! It sounds like it would be good on a baked potato or even chopped up in mashed potatoes!

Yeah buddy!

Yep, i quit using Durkee and Frenchs fried onions on top of GB casserole about 3-4 years ago. I switched to these fried shallots. Flavor is far better and its nice they have no added salt. They also work great for making your own Vadouvan masala (French curry powder). Maesri also sells fried garlic.

Add both the fried garlic and shallots to your favorite curry blend with some thyme and rosemary. I add a little red chile pepper too, usually gochu. Vadouvan is usually very mild on the heat. Works great for Jamaican style goat curry with the addition of Habs or Scotch Bonnets.

I am looking into this. Finding a supplier online shouldn't be a problem.

I love Jamaican goat curry, except with chicken. :rofl:

Back