•  

The 10th Annual Hot Pepper Awards Winners Announced!

Photo

Stetto's First Winter Grow ('16-'17)

• Please log in to reply
325 replies to this topic

#41 Geonerd

Geonerd

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:46 PM

Hey...  If there are any other baccatum you're looking for, just holler.  I've got several dozen varieties.

(And you can NEVER have too many baccatum!  :D )

Edited by Geonerd, 26 December 2016 - 07:17 PM.

:fireball:

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#42 stettoman

stettoman

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • aka:stett, stetto, ernestetto, Eric

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:05 PM

Hey...  If there are any other baccatum you're looking for, just holler.  I've got several dozen varieties.

(And you can NEVER have too many baccatum!)

Heh, let me get through this first amarillo grow (not to mention the lemon drop throwdown) and we'll chat. The baccatums seem the most flavorful and aromatic to me, they're what turned me on to the hotter tropicals in the first place.

Then again, this season is hardly just begun, *wink-wink*....

Click here

#43 Geonerd

Geonerd

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:16 PM

Heh, let me get through this first amarillo grow (not to mention the lemon drop throwdown) and we'll chat. The baccatums seem the most flavorful and aromatic to me, they're what turned me on to the hotter tropicals in the first place.

Then again, this season is hardly just begun, *wink-wink*....

Well, it's a given that this "winter seed planting" thing ALWAYS seems to get out of hand...  :rolleyes:

#44 stettoman

stettoman

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:50 AM

This one certainly is. It's damn-near like government work: project over budget, schedule in chaos, facilities insufficient and construction incomplete. No place to install the $1500 toilet seat....

Click here

#45 stettoman

stettoman

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:38 PM

Another half dozen PaulG aji Amarillo hooks are showing today. If I can keep these little guys alive till May I might get a bumper crop,

I picked up an Apollo Horticulture 300 watt LED panel and am learning how not to use it fair quickly. For the last 3 days it hung approx. 3-4" above the canopy. No, didn't lose any, nor did I scorch that I can see. The panel now hangs about 16" above. Understanding leaf curl is an important tool....The grow room will incorporate both the panel and 4' LED tubes, but I can already see how the plants favor those red and blue lamps....

Click here

#46 stettoman

stettoman

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:44 PM

This could get out of hand. Even MORE PaulG aji amarillos.

15727359_228708637578429_644045125369648

Being new to the "rarer" varieties of hot peppers, I'm a bit confounded. These Moruga Scorpions aren't that much younger than the ajis. Are the true leaves really that much smaller or am I stunting them with environment? Temp is a constant 70 degrees, humidity @ 36%, though I've been misting them often and they look really healthy...

15727268_228708604245099_551661252991961

15822654_228708594245100_444946710897726

Click here

#47 stettoman

stettoman

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

For better or worse, I moved to an interior room of the house, warmer, higher humidity, NO natural light. I'm using both the 300 watt Apollo Hort. LED and the 5000K Hyperkiron T8 LED tubes. My grow room is going to have to wait till Spring to facilitate junk removal.

This is my studio, recording gear and amplifiers and such at the other end of the room.

I hope hot peppers like live classic rock and blues.... :whistle:  :metal:

15826486_230182047431088_452075272464225

Click here

#48 PaulG

PaulG

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 7,604 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:47 PM

Glad to see those Aji Amarillos doing well for you, Eric!

May you be blessed with more pods than you can use!

Every Pod a Victory!  2017 germination summary

#49 stettoman

stettoman

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

The grow is going far beyond my expectations, especially considering the first dozen posts in this thread.

The Moruga Scorpions are a whole inch and a half tall, but boy do they look happy!

The two aji amarillos I separated are alive, but totally non-productive. Shock sucks.

This is the healthiest aji Amarillo, from a Hippy Seed packet.

I expect great things from the PaulG Peruvians, and the local grocery store has shown an interest in what I'm doing.

15871925_231005480682078_815530490007684

Click here

#50 tctenten

tctenten

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 11,952 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

Nice to see some green. Plants look good.

#51 Malarky

Malarky

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

so how many amarillos germ'd for you? are you going to cull any?

#52 stettoman

stettoman

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:22 AM

so how many amarillos germ'd for you? are you going to cull any?

Yeah, overplanted and the whole lot popped. Don'tcha just hate that? There are a few runts that don't seem to be very happy here, they'll go first. This cold weather has driven the humidity way down (21%), even in my sealed and insulated music studio where the Grow continues. I mist as often as possible, working out of the house really helps in that.

I may need to buy a humidifier, my guitars don't like it below 50% rh either.

Click here

#53 Brocoli

Brocoli

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

Plants look really good!

Question.. do you have your LED directly above the T8, or is it an optical illusion?

PS.. how did you get the local grocery store interested?! Do you have certificates and such?

#54 stettoman

stettoman

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

Plants look really good!

Question.. do you have your LED directly above the T8, or is it an optical illusion?

PS.. how did you get the local grocery store interested?! Do you have certificates and such?

No, it's an optical contusion. The LED panel is above and in front of T8, which is also LED. The plants seem to not care which is which at this point, at least they aren't leaning one way or the other. Bright and cheery, as it should be...

I chatted with the produce manager after noticing a scant selection of hot peppers. He told me he'd buy my overstock if I grew something he thought he could make a buck on. I don't know nuffin' from certification, was never brought up. But they buy/sell local fruit/veggies a lot around here. If legalities get to be a hassle I'll just open a roadside stand. There are dozens of them in the area every year...

Click here

#55 stettoman

stettoman

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:42 AM

Had to again raise the lights. Before long I'll be putting plants on the floor. They're growing a lot faster than I gave them credit for, and I've been gardening quite a few years...Just not inside.

15894776_231890450593581_631894389346174

15894817_231890617260231_732900485201909

It's surprising how they don't seem to miss the sun they were getting, actually appear to thrive in this LED environment. Moruga Scorps being a total new thing to me, I'm really amazed at the tight, compact canopy.

Click here

#56 Geonerd

Geonerd

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

The two aji amarillos I separated are alive, but totally non-productive. Shock sucks.

They're effectively on a starvation diet.  Give them a little extra water and maybe a dash of dilute nutes.  Re-growing roots will take a while, so be patient. 

#57 stettoman

stettoman

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

They're effectively on a starvation diet.  Give them a little extra water and maybe a dash of dilute nutes.  Re-growing roots will take a while, so be patient. 

Yeah Geo, they've been stirring a bit the last day or two, though half the size of those I didn't diddle with. They still look healthy and I bet by fruit-setting day I won't know the difference...You can see them in the far right in pic #1...

Edited by stettoman, 06 January 2017 - 01:16 PM.

Click here

#58 Brocoli

Brocoli

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:49 PM

I noticed last year that growing under an LED created very compact plants, looking like your scorps. Maybe the difference between your scorps and other peppers are the scorps just started when you added the LED and all the other peps were already going under the T8? Maybe because of the light intensity between the two lights?

Very cool that they offered to scoop your excess. I thought that grocery stores would have a ton of red tape to deal with when purchasing from personal operations and not company operations. Selling plants, peppers, pods, and seeds would be fun as a hobby if you dont have to pay for permits and certs.

Your grow makes me excited for my seeds to start popping! Planted up a 72cell boy on 1/1.

#59 stettoman

stettoman

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:08 PM

Brocoli, I'm in what we call Farm Filthy Rural. The dirt here is so fertile that farmers will buy their neighbors' house just to bulldoze and plant where it used to be. Naturally these people have acres like my eighth acre where they grow farmers market fare. I grow my own sweet corn, but around here you can get a dozen fresh picked ears for a couple bucks, some days even less. Veggie stands are everywhere, to where everyone who really wants to make a buck on it (mostly farmers' wives and kids) will grow a "specialty" crop, like 20 varieties of onion or carrot or kohlrabi. ALL these people take their overstock to the groceries. The price isn't as good as selling direct to the passersby, but little goes to waste.

I'm wondering what kind of local market there might be for exotic peppers. There are "some" here, but no one focuses on them. The wife and I actually discussed a low tunnel for this or next year. We certainly have the room. I just don't want to create more work for myself than I have passion for...

My grow is making me excited too. I have a dozen or so more kinds of peppers to start.

Click here

#60 Masher

Masher

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:48 PM

Been away from the pc lately...everythings looking great stett  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests