• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippaul Threat (PdN x BMJ) Community Grow

This is a dedicated grow log for Tristen's awesome cross, which I
have been growing out since 2014.  I'll start with a bit of history and
some photos documenting what's happened so far.

In January of 2014, Tristen (Trippa) sent me a little care package of seeds.
In the package were two generations of a cross he had made, which he just 
called 'Mystery Cross, F1' and 'Mystery Cross, F2'.  

Here's Trippa's Mystery Cross seedlings in February of 2014:
_DSC1203a_zpscfa08c86.jpg

_DSC1215a_zps824b6b30.jpg

Both generations showing the purple foliage characteristic since the beginning.

Up close look at Trippa's Mystery Crosses, F1 and F2.  Both culled to a single
plant after the photo taken, so I only had one plant of each generation:
_DSC1256a_zps34e3c6e6.jpg

PaulG said:
I hope your OW makes it through, John. But am glad to hear you have an abundance of seeds.
Actually, it's the OW Bahamian Goat that is questionable. Maybe even doubtful, the main stem is green, but it has no leaves or new growth.

The main stem of the OW PDNxBMJ died back, but it has a strong new stem shooting up from ground level. It's been outside a few days now. Last night it poured rain on it. That should flush out some of last year's and OW nasties, but I'll need to dose it up with some new nutes soon.

Bhuter said:
Thanks, Rich!!!

Good news, Paul...I didn't stop trying and I had a purple F7 germ yesterday and the white F7 popped today...both your seeds. I'm back in, I guess. Lol.
That is good news, Adam!
One of each color - thats fortuitous!

Sawyer said:
Actually, it's the OW Bahamian Goat that is questionable. Maybe even doubtful, the main stem is green, but it has no leaves or new growth.

The main stem of the OW PDNxBMJ died back, but it has a strong new stem shooting up from ground level. It's been outside a few days now. Last night it poured rain on it. That should flush out some of last year's and OW nasties, but I'll need to dose it up with some new nutes soon.
Alright, the OW PdNxBMJ lives
to fight another season!

I'm gonna applaud Andy's work, also! :clap:

When Andy signed up here on THP, I thought, "Wow! He's really interested in acquiring different varieties." (He bought a mixed MFRB, I think, from TexasHotPeppers that was a crazy mix of varieties. Like 72 or so. 'I really hope he saves them all'. HE DID...and shared some with me! Then the next season started, and his plants looked amazingly! On top of that, he created an awesome sauce! This year rolls around, and here I am, coveting his master-work.

Fantastic stuff, BhutHead! Are you gonna start selling plants at some point? You've definitely got the chops!

:dance::woohoo:
:woohoo::party::dance:

Thanks guys! A lot of the success I have had is because of posts here from you guys, and even members who are no longer around. And there are so many cool Sun's bitches in here that I can't stop coming to hang out!

The chinense peppers are really not the easiest thing to grow, and I would probably still have horrible looking plants.

I was thinking about selling some plants, but I should have hardened them off already, and I have fungus gnats, even after I nuked my soil.

I did send a box of plants to a member here, just smaller plants from 72 cell trays though. I need a break from the rain so I can get something done. Garage flooded last night, and it was already a mess. So I spent all day shuffling stuff around to dry the floor. Probably gonna happen again. Need to fix the threshold.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and post pics from my scrappy cell phone. Thanks fellas

I'm still in the game.  My plants have been badly hit by aphids but they are now under control.  The little gits ate out the growing tip, effectively stopping or fim'ing the plants.  My main plant (of only two) has since shot out several very long shoots and is getting ridiculously tall.  It's also suffered some light deprivation as it's on a windowsill and we have had an awful lot of grey, dull days in the last month.  No chance of getting anything outside yet - night time temperatures scarcely above freezing here.  Should be a lot warmer by now.  I haven't really noticed the second plant recently so guess it's just quietly biding its time.  It's in a small pot under a grow light.

Well, it took long enough. I musta buried that guy pretty deep.

PDN x BMJ Violet F7 seeds from PaulG.

QlMZ0KW.jpg

It looks like Miss Violet will be my only contribution to this grow log. I thought the white germinated at the same time this one did, but it was a light reflection. Sorry, Paul! I hope this little lady will bring home the goods.

Bhuter said:
Well, it took long enough. I musta buried that guy pretty deep.

PDN x BMJ Violet F7 seeds from PaulG.

It looks like Miss Violet will be my only contribution to this grow log. I thought the white germinated at the same time this one did, but it was a light reflection. Sorry, Paul! I hope this little lady will bring home the goods.
Not to worry, Adam, I'm sure it will perform well
for you. I'm sorry my seeds were such buggers
to germinate, especially the white pod seed. Or
were these your own seed from last year's grow?

There should be lots of seeds floating around
at the close of the F7 grow! 

And I have the F7 white isolated pod seed of
yours going, so I will send you seeds from
that one, for sure.

PaulG said:
Not to worry, Adam, I'm sure it will perform well
for you. I'm sorry my seeds were such buggers
to germinate, especially the white pod seed. Or
were these your own seed from last year's grow?

There should be lots of seeds floating around
at the close of the F7 grow! 

And I have the F7 white isolated pod seed of
yours going, so I will send you seeds from
that one, for sure.
I really don't know what the hubbub is. I guess let me start by explaining my procedures. When I start seeds, I rely a lot on my memory as well as what's written. Meaning: In one folded paper towel, I will have up to 5 different varieties of seeds. I don't start a bunch seeds of one kind, I start how many plants of that variety I want (Yeah, the "I'll start another seed if this one doesn't pop in 2 weeks", gig). So down to the line and my first 2 seeds (1 of each: White & Purple) turned black. I replaced both, leaving the black seeds just in case. A little over a week and the Purple popped. But here's the pisser: I started 30+ seeds within the last 2-3 months and these were among the first (but certainly not the last) to stall. Along with those, I have 3 or 4 other varieties that decided, "Not This Year!" I tried 3 Peach Fatalii seeds and nothing. ‍♂️

It could just be the luck of the draw. They were your seeds, Paul. Whenever I've had seeds turn black, they didn't start out that way. They were fine. I know this because I have another habit when starting seeds. I don't just open the baggie and dump out a seed, I pour some in my hand and look for the flattest, best-looking, average-sized (not huge, not tiny) seed that I can. My reasoning is: I believe wavy seed shells might make it tougher for the shell to completely pop off of the sprout or for the root to come out at all. I have no clue if this actually has any effect on this. But I get less helmet heads than I used to. (A wise man would say, "That's because you're planting your seeds deeper." Lol) I don't know, but it makes me feel better about the seeds I choose (especially if the plant turns out awesomely! Lol)

Here's a pic of how I do my germinating. One paper towel or 2 "select-a-size" half-sheets, folded in half, folded again, then folded a little short...fold the front about 1-2 inches shorter than the back, so it's easy to open. Spray with water/water bottle until soaked, but not dripping. I replace the paper towel once a week.

FnyLQGB.jpg

matJIEW.jpg

Sorry for the looooooooong post and for being simplistic. Lol

I've been a little delinquent reporting in on this thread Paul, so I thought I'd present the group a little Proof of Life: One of each (you're right about that germ rate!!), violet on the left, white on the other left.

20190514_160816.jpg

I have no clue what the "blisters" are on the violet pheno leaves, but new growth seems to be free of it.

I do intend to try to breed some more viable seeds from these. This is all that germinated from all that seed you sent...Just a small ribbing, buddy, but if I get orange peppers, you will be reprimanded!

Wow.. So many pages of awesome Pepper pics and information that it took me days going through the thread (got a big family around).
Are seeds for the White and violet still available? How is the general taste of the pods?
You guys have really done an amazing job of stabilizing the strains!
Has the strains been named yet?

233.jpg

234.jpg

235.jpg

236.jpg

237.jpg

238.jpg

Chinense setting pods at my place...imagine that!

Hey the more I think about the plant that could be white, should be white. The only PDN types I planted were yours, and this one came up after I gave up and put mater seeds in the pot. Maters came up and a week later....what the heck? So how can I tell for sure? I need to take a pic, as it's just now putting pods on it..

Paul will have to answer most of your questions, but there should be plenty of seed available this fall.  Paul's seed given out this year had a rather poor germination rate, like 10 - 20%.  So maybe the seed from this year's grow will do better.

Unless you just can't wait, then I'm sure someone with extra seed (Paul) would send you some.
J.H.Skarby said:
Wow.. So many pages of awesome Pepper pics and information that it took me days going through the thread (got a big family around).
Are seeds for the White and violet still available? How is the general taste of the pods?

Orekoc said:
Paul will have to answer most of your questions, but there should be plenty of seed available this fall.  Paul's seed given out this year had a rather poor germination rate, like 10 - 20%.  So maybe the seed from this year's grow will do better.

Unless you just can't wait, then I'm sure someone with extra seed (Paul) would send you some.

I have a few violet pod seed still, but not as many white.
There are seeds from a few different pods, and I would
be happy to send some. At this late date, it might be better
to wait for fresher, better germinating seed stock this Fall.

J.H.Skarby said:
This year, there are about two dozen people growing
this variety, so as the season proceeds, there should
be some more great information coming out.

See post above for seed info.

Taste is not unpleasant for a super hot, maybe some
hints of fruity-ness. Certainly not bitter or acrid, like some.

Heat has caught most who try it by surprise. Looks like
candy burns like fire!

No name yet. I have not heard from Tristen for quite awhile.
I need to get a hold of him and see what he wants to name it.
I have been calling the white variety White Lightening since
the third or fourth generation. There have been a couple of
other good suggestions as you have seen in the thread!

Since this is the seventh generation, it really needs a name!

PaulG said:
This year, there are about two dozen people growing
this variety, so as the season proceeds, there should
be some more great information coming out.

See post above for seed info.

Taste is not unpleasant for a super hot, maybe some
hints of fruity-ness. Certainly not bitter or acrid, like some.

Heat has caught most who try it by surprise. Looks like
candy burns like fire!

No name yet. I have not heard from Tristen for quite awhile.
I need to get a hold of him and see what he wants to name it.
I have been calling the white variety White Lightening since
the third or fourth generation. There have been a couple of
other good suggestions as you have seen in the thread!

Since this is the seventh generation, it really needs a name!
Thanks for the info! :)
To answer your first reply - I'm not in a hurry at the moment. But I am very interested in trying it! :)
The Danish season has just begun and my peppers were germinated in november-january.
I've taken over 1/3 of our dining room for peppers and my wife can't wait for the plants to go outside :P
Might post a photo or 3 for proof.

Not unpleasant sounds good to Me. I really appreciate fruity-ness when eating peppers raw or in foods.
Hope to taste them some time :)

As for names some hinted at
Bonda Ma Pimenta, Pimenta da Jacques, Leelas White Hot underwear jumps to mind, White Lightning and a few others :)
It would surely benefit from a name.
Hope you reach him at some point!

Back