• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A great debate: Seaweed kelp extract.

Edmick

Staff Member
Extreme Member
Ok so I've read a ton of reviews on whether to foliar feed or soil feed with seaweed kelp extract and it seems people believe one way or the other is the only way to go and some people say it doesnt work at all. So tell me, what is your preferred method of using kelp extract and why?

It adds trace minerals and growth hormones to the soil
Yes it's beneficial, supplies everything the plant needs to grow

If you're expecting plant steroids then you're going to be disappointed. 

Powelly said:
It adds trace minerals and growth hormones to the soil
Yes it's beneficial, supplies everything the plant needs to grow

If you're expecting plant steroids then you're going to be disappointed. 

^THIS^

I mix it in with Fish Emulsion and soil feed.

The only thing I ever apply to the foliage is Epsom Salts, which I do very sparingly, maybe once a month, usually less.

Its working for me. Both these were the same size less than 2 weeks ago. Plant on the right was given one good dose of a homemade kelp extract.
P1020868_zps3bqoykq8.jpg

After a few more days. These plants are in identical conditions and all started at the same size before testing my homemade kelp extract.
P1020878_zps8hwhlevv.jpg

Beni Highlands 12 days before kelp extract.
P1020832_zps2qiybrah.jpg

My Beni Highlands (after) produced LOTS of new foliage.
P1020904_zpsrx6ln7ji.jpg

Cukes in containers fed a fish and kelp pellets. Originally only the one on the right had it. Now both are virtually identical.
P1020874_zpsjop0upmg.jpg

12 days ago when only the one on the right had the fish/kelp pellets from the start. The one on the left was on MG All Purpose and got the pellets much later.
P1020844_zpsmlpfegll.jpg

P1020843_zps8e8wgatt.jpg

SMD, what is the ratio you are using. I bought a pound of the extract I use indoors for early start per gallon watering. Looking to kick my plants in gear outside.

I used dried wakame i get at the Korean market. I hydrated enough to make 2cups of wakame. That is only a few grams of dried. Less than 10grams probably for a gallon of water. I blended the wakame with some water in my Nutribullet until smooth.

I added a couple tsp of Jobes 4-4-2 compost starter and a tbs of molasses to the gallon. I let that set for a little over a week. Then i mixed 1/2 gallon of the "extract" with 3 gallons of rain water. Each of my plants got roughly a quart of the diluted mix.

The first "test" lemon drop plant got about a 1/2 cup undiluted just to make sure it was safe.

Every single plant i used this on showed a noticeable i,improvement within a few days.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I used dried wakame i get at the Korean market. I hydrated enough to make 2cups of wakame. That is only a few grams of dried. Less than 10grams probably for a gallon of water. I blended the wakame with some water in my Nutribullet until smooth.

I added a couple tsp of Jobes 4-4-2 compost starter and a tbs of molasses to the gallon. I let that set for a little over a week. Then i mixed 1/2 gallon of the "extract" with 3 gallons of rain water. Each of my plants got roughly a quart of the diluted mix.

The first "test" lemon drop plant got about a 1/2 cup undiluted just to make sure it was safe.

Every single plant i used this on showed a noticeable i,improvement within a few days.
Thanks, yeah the stuff I bought I believe is 1 tsp per gallon - I goof around and come up with something similar. I need to push a few plants along that got hammered with all the rains we had and most likely had most nutrients flushed...especially potted plants 

How often are you applying the kelp? And are you doing foliar or soil drench?

Just soil application at the moment. The mix i made does have a very small amount of 4-4-2 with myco (Jobes calls it Biozome) and a tbs of molasses. I have enough left for 1 more application and i will make some more.

Kelp meal is certainly cheaper if you can get it locally. My goal was to use something i keep around the house anyway and see if it works. Well im sure it didn't hurt and the test plant is certainly larger than the control plant when all other variables were the same.

Wakame is Undaria pinnatifida and in some countries its considered invasive. Kombu is Laminaria japonica but it can vary a bit. Its mainly used just to season soup broth (dashi) such as Miso soup. Kelp meal and kelp extract are made from Ascophyllum nodosum and its used mostly for fertilizer and a feed supplement for livestock. I have no idea which is better as a fertilizer and to be fair, our night/day temps have increased. What i do know its that the wakame i used is safe to use and at this time it appears to be beneficial.

New batch is steeping and i made a weak solution for watering tomorrow.

16oz of wakame puree
2 tsp Jobes 4-4-2 8% calcium
1 tbs Alaska fish emulsion
1/2 tbs molasses
4 gallon rain water

I did feed 2 seedlings a more concentrated dose of just kelp puree this morning too. I have a Caribbean Red and Sandia Select that both got late starts.

Last week I top dressed my pot with seaweed that I bought from the store
Should be enough to last the season as I left it unchopped

Update after being in the ground awhile.

Left plant is the control. Both of the others have gotten the homemade kelp extract.
MhtUzGH.jpg

Both of these have but the one on the right didn't get any until after i moved the others into the ground.
lHuddhP.jpg

All 3...far right is control.
70kDnAm.jpg

Back