• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Dehydrator Tips?

I'm picking up a food dehydrator (probably a Nesco Snackmaster Pro - has a 20% more powerful heater/fan than the standard Snackmaster.  I know there's plenty of info on this board, but I was wondering if you could help me with a few things.

This is my first year growing mole peppers (ancho, guajillo, pasilla) - I'm assuming that these should be cut in half prior to drying?  Should I deseed these if I plan to use them in moles?

Chinense varieties - I typically include the seeds in my sauces, what's the best way to keep the seeds while drying but not have the drying process take forever?  Should I cut slits in the peppers?

Aji limons - I assume that these are small and thin enough that it's okay to dry them whole (to save some manual labor)?

And finally, since I do not plan to turn any of these into powder, should I dry them less than if I was planning to powder them?  Most advice on this board regards peppers fated for powdering.  What consistency should I dry them to?

Thanks for the help.

I am sure you will get different answers, so here is my method:

I have an Excalibur 9-tray (after burning out three Nescos in two years).

I always dry my pods whole. It takes longer, (two to three days, depending on the pepper) but there are no fumes to deal with, and I find them easier to handle (no need for gloves as long as they remain whole).

I use the 'crunch test' to see if the pods are completly dry. Pick one up, squeeze it, if it 'crunches' it is dry.

Do a search here on thp for a thread titled "overstuffed dehydrator" to see how to triple or quadruple the amount of peppers that can be dried at one time. Especially if you are drying whole pods, you will probably want to ghetto it up.

Instead of cutting the PVC, just buy the white pvc plumbing couplings. 3 per tray, 1" size.

Have fun!

Edit for typo~

PS...if the chiles for the mole are normally deseeded prior to cooking, might as well do it now.

Back