• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

D3 Pepper Products

Cranberry can do that too and w/o so much sweet... a berry a lot of people only think of at Thanksgiving, but works wonders for balancing hot sauce.

The Hot Pepper said:
Cranberry can do that too and w/o so much sweet... a berry a lot of people only think of at Thanksgiving, but works wonders for balancing hot sauce.

I'm def doing a cranberry pomegranate sauce with my peppers fermenting right now. Got some aji painapple and omni bonnet going. I think it will balance with that slight baccatum taste well... maybe. 

1ZmEsWc.jpg

D3monic recently sent me a kick ass box full of sauces and powders to taste test. I've gotta say, everything I've tried so far was a hit, and I'm not just saying that to be polite. I'm really looking forward to trying the steak rub.

Here are my notes from the sauces...

Sweet Thai:
Smells very sweet and "Asian." Gorgeous dark burgundy color, and a chunky texture with pieces of pepper suspended in a sweet syrup that's almost like a thin glaze. Very sweet and savory with delicious notes of ginger on the back end. Low medium heat that dissipates fairly quickly. Would be absolutely fantastic on Chinese food, especially something fried, like egg rolls or crab Rangoon. Even fried chicken strips, or as a pork glaze. Great dipping sauce, and highly addictive. tctenten is absolutely right; this stuff is like crack. I'm already halfway through the bottle. I see that you've recently added plums to this recipe, and really hope it works out. The only "change" I'd make would be to keep this recipe as is, and make a second one with more heat.

Voodoo Priest:
Smelling 7 Pot peppers, mango, and lime on the nose, right out of the gate (also something 'roasted,' probably the carrots). Texture is slightly chunky, yet smooth and uniform at the same time, though not "silky." Tastes sweet, then just slightly bitter (possibly from boiling the lime juice?), then hit with the lime flavor, followed by the toasted cumin and a little brown sugar. Heat comes on very quickly, but a sweet mustardy (and mango) flavor remains. High medium heat attacks the sides of the tongue and dissipates in about 15 minutes. Very nice execution on this sauce

Verde Calavera:
I love the texture. Slightly chunky, but still flows nice and smooth. Nice olive green color with bright red and black flecks of roasted veggies and peppers. Smells great; nice roasted tomatillo, garlic, onion, and a hint of lime smell. Tasted from a spoon: nice tang from the tomatillos and lime, followed by the heat of the peppers, then a nice roasted onion and garlic finish. It's got a higher end low heat, I'd say, just under what might be considered "medium" to non-chileheads. Very tasty verde sauce

Angry Jack:
Beautiful, vibrant, dark orange (approaching red) color. Smells a lot like 7 Pot pods, onion, and a touch of ACV. Also smells like it might also be sweet, but I think I know better, haha. Love the texture; nice and thick and silky, though I can see some rogue seeds that made it into the bottle. Tasted from a spoon, even though I was pre-warned: Wow. This fucker is angry alright, haha. Very nice flavor; it actually is a tiny little bit sweet, but mostly tastes like straight peppers- which isn't a bad thing. Heat comes on fast and sticks around for quite a bit. Mostly tongue burn, some on the lips, and I had some sweat building up under my eyes. If you can get past the heat, this sauce really does have an amazing flavor. Proceed with caution though, lol

I just used a combo of the Angry Jack and Verde Calavera on some 'thing' my wife tried passing off as an enchilada, and those two sauces complimented it very nicely. I think I'm gonna go enjoy one of the beers D3 put in the box now :)

You're on a roll, D3. Keep up the great work, man, and thank you again very much!!!

:cheers:

Jajaja thanks Mike. The verde sauce is a work in progress. Adding some habaneros to the next batch to bump the heat up where it should be. Store bought jalapeños where very mild.

Now that the angry jack has bottle conditioned for a week some the subtle flavors are coming through. Will be a hard sauce for me to replicate again due to the list of peppers used. Might try next year with mostly D3 goat and el Scorponero

Would mind send me the template as well. I e been breaking my head try to figure a good template model. Not very software smart or graphic design guru.

I can pm you my email.

tctenten said:
attachicon.gif
23345101-0BD5-4138-B444-F08295B0D59C.jpeg

I just freelance it. Took some time getting it perfect, but using the rulers on top and sides I was able to line everything up correctly. This is in Pages, Apples word program. I can email it to you if you have a Mac with it installed or I can probably save to Microsoft Word. You can easily type over/delete my details for yours, but use the spacing as that is set ip for those labels.

Elpicante said:
Would mind send me the template as well. I e been breaking my head try to figure a good template model. Not very software smart or graphic design guru.

I can pm you my email.
Sure. I will PM it to you.

Not sure how I feel about this batch of verde sauce just yet. I think poblanos are a bit much. I need to remember to just leave those out. Maybe more serrano than jalapeno. 

Ingredients so far, fire roasted peppers (poblano, jalapeno, serrano) tomatillos, pear, habaneros, red onion, cane vinegar, water, apple cider vinegar, cherry smoked hogsweed, toasted onion and garlic, kosher salt. 

I haven't added the lime juice yet but have 1/2 cup waiting to go in last min boil before bottling. 

q4k1JnI.jpg

Honestly I think a lil carrot would go a long way in here but I don't have any. I'm also a lil light on the tomatillos. I thought I had more before I got started. 

karoo said:
Hard on yourself !?
What's wrong with it ?

Flavor way off from what i'm looking for. Maybe a combination of the poblano and a different kind of pear. Too muted and deep. Want bright and zesty. I saved a couple bottles in case it grows on me but it's not worth wasting a 24 pack of bottles on. Jalapenos and serranos are $1 a lb right now. I can easily try again. maybe do half roasted and half fresh next time. 

Verde so far is the one sauce I can't get to where i'm overly happy with it. 

Back