•  

The 10th Annual Hot Pepper Awards Winners Announced!

Photo

The most amazing kimchi recipe known to man!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Edmick

Edmick

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:13 PM

I'll try a few different batches. One will be extremely hot peppers. Thanks y'all

I would definitely try the one that The Hot Pepper posted though. That's probably gonna be pretty close to what you're looking for. Showmedasauce has some good ideas too. Keep us posted on how it turns out!

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#22 Poopasaurous!

Poopasaurous!

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • aka:Poop!

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:22 PM

I've tried a few different brands from health food stores and they aren't worth shit. I was spoiled about 10 years ago by a fishing buddies wife that is Korean( with food). She made me the real deal kimchi. I downed the whole jar in about 5 minutes. It made me go poo poo

#23 Edmick

Edmick

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

Theres a Korean restaurant that I go to often for their spicy seafood noodle soup (jjampong) and they make amazing homemade kimchi that I buy for $5 for a big container. They know my wife and I well so i'll see if they're willing to cough up the recipe next time I go and i'll let you know.

#24 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:48 PM

Jjamppong rocks!!!

That is one of the first Korean dishes i remember eating. A little hole in the wall Chinese place made it with beef and seafood including sea cucumber. Owners were from Korea.

BTW i think its still KimJang season too

Checkout their other kimchi related videos...they are excellent

Edited by ShowMeDaSauce, 12 October 2017 - 06:58 PM.

#25 Edmick

Edmick

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:11 PM

Jjamppong rocks!!!

That is one of the first Korean dishes i remember eating. A little hole in the wall Chinese place made it with beef and seafood including sea cucumber. Owners were from Korea.

BTW i think its still KimJang season too

Checkout their other kimchi related videos...they are excellent

Yep. It's amazing. I tried to recreate it and I've come pretty damn close. I might be off on one or two things but it's very close and still very good. Not to mention, the place I go to still hand pulls the noodles. Not too many places do that anymore. At least not in the states. It's an art.

#26 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 40,605 posts
  • aka:Pookie
  • (x3)

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:13 PM

:cheers:

#27 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 40,605 posts
  • aka:Pookie
  • (x3)

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

Edmick I changed the video to a better one ;)

:cheers:

#28 Edmick

Edmick

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:17 PM

That's awesome. My wife and I attempted hand pulled noodles at home after tons of research and it didn't turn out too well. We ended up just making a total mess. They make it look way easier than it really is.

#29 Poopasaurous!

Poopasaurous!

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:25 PM

That's awesome. My wife and I attempted hand pulled noodles at home after tons of research and it didn't turn out too well. We ended up just making a total mess. They make it look way easier than it really is.

You have to be single to pull noodles!

#30 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:04 AM

The Arirang kimjang videos have lots of kimchi ideas including vegan. Buddhist kimchi as an example has a very interesting broth made with "pumpkin" although i cant imagine kimchi without garlic or green onions :D

Radish kimchi is a must try. Very simple to make. I make it in 1/4" strips sometimes for adding to soups. It remains surprisingly crunchy even after boiling for a few minutes. One version of radish kimchi uses a very small radish. Its killer but the radish is hard to find even in season. I think they call it ponytail. The radish has a bowling pin shape.

I use this recipe with less fish sauce and just add some Asian pear, Bosc works fine too. https://www.maangchi...recipe/kkakdugi

You will find many recipes using "porridge". Its nothing more than water, sweet rice flour and sugar. Heat until it thickens and begins to look more translucent. Let it cool and mix in your other seasonings. I often just skip the porridge and make a variation of the "emergency" kimchi. It turns out great.

Left over seasoning paste freezes well. Once you find one you like, make a bigger batch and freeze it in small enough portions for later use.

#31 Biggy

Biggy

Heating Up

• Extreme
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:14 PM

Here is the base recipe. It has been changed to fit my work kitchen. Red pepper flakes and the white wine are subs. Use rice wine instead. In my opinion it's the anchovies instead of fish sauce that set it apart. Definitely as was mentioned before it's like jumbalya. What ever you have handy will work. I use Bok Choy that's is just starting to flower. The flower stalks are like broccoli stems with out the woody skin.

Attached Thumbnails

• 15080048159391099835153.jpg
  • 15080048159391099835153.jpg

Edited by Biggy, 14 October 2017 - 06:52 PM.

#32 Poopasaurous!

Poopasaurous!

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:04 PM

That video made me cry... Not really but it should be making me cry. I'm a ginger.

It would be awesome to live in a community that works and feeds each other. We need to start a pepper community and live off the government in "the pepper projects". We can also make pepper weapons for security purposes.

#33 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

This one is not a fermented kimchi but it is a common banchan served in Korea. I love this stuff spicy or just sweet and sour. Its VERY easy to make except for slicing the radish.

https://www.maangchi...ipe/musaengchae

plate-590x442.jpg

#34 Voodoo 6

Voodoo 6

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:17 PM

Edit

Edited by Voodoo 6, 18 October 2017 - 12:17 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests