•  

The 11th Annual Hot Pepper Awards ACCEPTING ENTRIES!

Photo

Fermentation storage question - light or dark?

fermentation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chorizo857_62J

Chorizo857_62J

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • aka:Fatknuckle

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:14 PM

I embarked on a fermentation project in accordance with the guidance in the "Fermentation 101" guidance on the website.  I am doing a test with a 12-oz and a 16 oz jar with scotch bonnets and red habaneros, respectively.  Using traditional water-filled airlocks on each jar.  The mash miked up great in the food processor, and has been in the sit and ferment mode inside my den for a day or so.  There is some settling, primarily I think due to gravity and density of the mash particle sizes, etc.  I am wondering if I need to put these in a closet in the dark to maximize activity, or will that create another, less favorable, or even harmful result?  regular room daylight a prohibitive thing?

Thanks!

Jeff

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,654 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:18 PM

Hi Jeff,

I will move any ferments that I am going to run for more than a month or so into the dark.  For anything running a month or less I'll leave on the counter top because I like looking at them.  :) 

Ferments exposed to normal ambient sunlight (like in your kitchen for example) will begin to darken towards the top in my experience.  Doesn't hurt them or alter flavor, but also maybe not what you want.  

Edited by SmokenFire, 17 October 2017 - 06:18 PM.

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#3 Chorizo857_62J

Chorizo857_62J

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:42 PM

Thanks, that was what I was afraid of.  As temping as it is to watch a jar bubble here and there, I would rather have a more successful product.  Plus I don't have to explain to others in the house that those are really not bongs, they are airlocks.

#4 jedisushi06

jedisushi06

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,802 posts
  • aka:Mikey or Sushi Mike

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:52 PM

throw that shit under your sink

#5 Chorizo857_62J

Chorizo857_62J

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:57 PM

I'm afraid of whatever else is under the sink.  The gun vault is safer, no pun intended.

:)

#6 Voodoo 6

Voodoo 6

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:32 AM

Not sure if related but, beer ferments go better in the dark.

#7 Edmick

Edmick

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:42 PM

I think the issue with beer ferments though is that the hops reacts with light and can throw skunky flavor. Not sure if light reacts the same with sauce.

#8 Mr.CtChilihead

Mr.CtChilihead

Heating Up

• Extreme
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:53 PM

I'm afraid of whatever else is under the sink.  The gun vault is safer, no pun intended.

:)

Unless you have a dehumidifier in your safe please don't do that..I would never store anything liquid except maybe oil with my firearms.Good question though,I never thought about..But learned something today. Thanks SmokenFire.

#9 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,654 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:01 PM

Unless you have a dehumidifier in your safe please don't do that..I would never store anything liquid except maybe oil with my firearms.Good question though,I never thought about..But learned something today. Thanks SmokenFire.

Yeah you make a good point Mr.CtCh.  The thought of a ferment blowing out (overflowing) into my gun safe is not a pleasant thought.  

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#10 Chorizo857_62J

Chorizo857_62J

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:22 PM

For clarification, they are in the same dark closet, but not in the actual safe.  The hardware is more valuable than a jar of fermenting peppers.  Seem to be working well, and the hardware is dehumidified and protected.  Didn't want to create any unwanted chemical reactions.  I check every other day or so to make sure we don't have any scary burp-ologies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests