#901 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts
  • aka:Scott

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:02 PM

Yeah, between work, home and family there's lots going on here too. Not enough hours in a day to maintain a glog this year. At least I can report that I'm bringing my soil pH down... last year the garden pH was 7.7 and this spring it's 7.5

Good luck to you too!

I hear ya Rick!

This year has been harder time wise for me as well.

Keep it green buddy!

It's all about the pods....

#902 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:08 PM

Welcome to the land of retirement, fellas! I did the early

retirement thing from the school district I worked for, then

went and taught at the college level for 9 years. That was

great. I worked about 20% of the time I did as a school

teacher, and made about 45% of my school salary by

working at three different places. One does what one

needs to do!

Now I am fully disengaged, and no looking back!

Rickster! I have missed you, my friend. I know you

have all kinds of awesomeness that we all want to

see in your garden.

I took your 'advice' from a couple of seasons ago

and started adding a Silica fert to my routine. I can

really see the difference, so thanks for doing that

research, Buddy!!

Keep the faith, my friend!

Oh that retirement! I can just taste it. No more up at 4:15AM ;)  So I had an offer from my Mom; she wants me to quit on my birthday, which is October. She even offered to match the potential lost funds. I'll probably go until January, as that's what I told them at the workplace.

I will be ordering the silica tonight as I need all the help I can get ;)

#903 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:10 PM

Hey Devv,How’s the weather down there ? I just got an notice on my phone that Texas was getting some weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radar shows some storms, but I feel they will all be North of us. We are under a watch for severe weather. No one needs that!

#904 Orekoc

Orekoc

Hot

• Extreme
  • 792 posts
  • aka:Call me Pugs or Pugsley

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:53 PM

I'm told that as you get old, you don't care how you look naked, and you won't be shy to show it either. :dance: :rolleyes: ;)

Oh...I will. Looking good naked is a good thing...

Did I say that? :rofl:

“The only difference between me and a madman is I'm not mad.” - Salvador Dali

Ah, I don't use PayPal, so if I forget to say it in a PM, I said it here, so I didn't really forget, to say it.

#905 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:58 PM

I'm told that as you get old, you don't care how you look naked, and you won't be shy to show it either. :dance: :rolleyes: ;)

LOL! Bhut I 'haint that old just yet. Although I have been eyeballing overcoats.

I didn't say that either.. :rolleyes:

#906 DWB

DWB

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • aka:DW

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:29 PM

The garden:

247.jpg

Maters gone wild. I cut them back once, and will again tomorrow. Hornworms out the wazoo this year. 30 plus squished so far.

Looking so awesome in the jungle. Do you carry a compass so you can find your way out of there?  How do you find hornworms in there? Look for the defoliated sections?

I have a jalapeño plant that looks like yours. It made a whole bunch of the tiny red pods early on and now it's shooting out the big green ones like crazy. I wish I grew a couple more of those plants. All extremely delicious pods so far.

#907 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:14 PM

Looking so awesome in the jungle. Do you carry a compass so you can find your way out of there?  How do you find hornworms in there? Look for the defoliated sections?

I have a jalapeño plant that looks like yours. It made a whole bunch of the tiny red pods early on and now it's shooting out the big green ones like crazy. I wish I grew a couple more of those plants. All extremely delicious pods so far.

Thanks Dee!

Yeah the bastages like to strip the tops and hit the top maters. Sunday morning I hit all the maters and peppers with the Dipel dust (BT). We were just pulling them off, like in years past, but they just keep on coming. Normally I would kill 4-5, this year we're close to 40, maybe more. My poor Annuum's have been hit hard by the worms too on the West side of the garden. It looks like a kid was out there  playing with scissors :shh:

#908 stc3248

stc3248

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,341 posts
  • (x1)

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:43 PM

Thanks Dee!

Yeah the bastages like to strip the tops and hit the top maters. Sunday morning I hit all the maters and peppers with the Dipel dust (BT). We were just pulling them off, like in years past, but they just keep on coming. Normally I would kill 4-5, this year we're close to 40, maybe more. My poor Annuum's have been hit hard by the worms too on the West side of the garden. It looks like a kid was out there  playing with scissors :shh:

Boooo...hate me some hornworms! I think they can do more damage than rabbits or deer.

Edited by stc3248, 20 May 2019 - 05:44 PM.

www.imarunnut.blogspot.com/

#909 DWB

DWB

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • aka:DW

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:18 PM

Devv, you like the Dipel dust better than the spray?

#910 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:35 PM

Devv, you like the Dipel dust better than the spray?

Yes I do. We just bought 2 4lb bags for the future. The powder sticks really well. It's been about a week now and not a worm seen since the application. Hopefully we're done, we had 10x the worms this spring.

#911 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:44 PM

It's been a busy few weeks. Peaches, Potatoes, Garlic, and Corn all in. Starting to get some ripe peppers that DON'T have bug holes in them ;) Dipel dust saved the corn, just a few worms.

Ok, a few pics...

270.jpg

Raised bed peppers Aji Arnaucho

273.jpg

Jimmy Nardello

274.jpg

275.jpg

White Bhut

276.jpg

PDN x Bonda White

Edited by Devv, 26 May 2019 - 01:46 PM.

#912 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:52 PM

A couple of mystery plants:

277.jpg

278.jpg

White Bhuts maybe??

279.jpg

Growndown plant, still undecided..

283.jpg

Zapotec, some of these are nice and hot!

284.jpg

Rick's Gochu

#913 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:57 PM

285.jpg

281.jpg

PDN x Bonda Purple.

288.jpg

Aji Arnaucho

289.jpg

Not sure if this is a P. Dreadie or a B Goat?

#914 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:02 PM

291.jpg

Big Jim's, maybe the bugs will let these ripen. So far 3 large ones gone...

292.jpg

298.jpg

Seems my P. Dreadie was cheating on me....

293.jpg

Sugar Rush Cream, using them for salads and seasonings.

294.jpg

295.jpg

Hornworns!

299.jpg

Edited by Devv, 26 May 2019 - 02:07 PM.

#915 stc3248

stc3248

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,341 posts
  • (x1)

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:08 PM

Awesome! Ripe ones starting to trickle in...won't be long and the big pulls will start rolling in. Hope your weather holds for a while before they shut down for the summer.

www.imarunnut.blogspot.com/

#916 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 06:26 PM

Awesome! Ripe ones starting to trickle in...won't be long and the big pulls will start rolling in. Hope your weather holds for a while before they shut down for the summer.

Yeah, I'm pleased compared to the last few years. Getting them in early has really helped. Although the plants still suffer from nutrient uptake issues.  However, I will get my share of peppers. ;)

The weather is getting close here, we shall see..

The biggest mistake I ever made regarding gardening was to bring in the heavy topsoil. That stuff was supposed to help with the sandy drainage issues. That it did. But, it was crap. And crap is a nice way of saying the place I bought it from needs....well you know. I think some idiot thought that lime was the answer. The PH is crazy, 8.4 last year, down to 8.0 this year. It seems only the peppers hate it :rolleyes:  So my advise is: before you purchase top soil, have it tested. I wish I had...if I could dig it out I would! At least now the water I use is 6.4 from the sky.

I'm seriously considering a 100% container grow next year, while I continue to nuke it with elemental sulfur. I bought 75lbs yesterday, this may take 2 years...regardless, I will win in the end :crazy:

#917 BDASPNY

BDASPNY

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:57 PM

Your plants are doing incredible despite the setbacks.

#918 lespaulde

lespaulde

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:21 AM

Hey Devv, given you are apparently not growing in the optimal soil, I think your results are even more incredible - really nice work. Those plants are simply staggering, and the number of pods this early in the season confirms it! :)

In terms of soil optimization, while declaring that I haven't tried this (yet) in practice, have you read 'The intelligent gardener' by Steve Solomon? He gives what seems like excellent advise on how to amend the soil to give optimal conditions for your plants. I can imagine your frustration with having done all that work with the top soil, and it not ending up giving you the benefits you were aiming for. Perhaps some extra amendments will get you there in the end? I came across it on these forums last year, although I can't quite remember via whom... ;)

Good luck with the imminent harvests!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

#919 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 02:45 PM

Your plants are doing incredible despite the setbacks.

Thanks Scott!

I can't wait to see how your garden does this season. Get ready for the rumble in the jungle!

Edited by Devv, 27 May 2019 - 02:45 PM.

#920 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 02:56 PM

Hey Devv, given you are apparently not growing in the optimal soil, I think your results are even more incredible - really nice work. Those plants are simply staggering, and the number of pods this early in the season confirms it! :)

In terms of soil optimization, while declaring that I haven't tried this (yet) in practice, have you read 'The intelligent gardener' by Steve Solomon? He gives what seems like excellent advise on how to amend the soil to give optimal conditions for your plants. I can imagine your frustration with having done all that work with the top soil, and it not ending up giving you the benefits you were aiming for. Perhaps some extra amendments will get you there in the end? I came across it on these forums last year, although I can't quite remember via whom... ;)

Good luck with the imminent harvests!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Thanks!

I read that book! I sent my soil to Logans Labs in Ohio last year and added the goodies as directed. I tested my sand today..LOL as that's what's here and it came in just under 7.4 PH wise. Rick (Stickman) mentioned that book last year. So I guess I'll add some more sand this winter, on top of the sulfur treatment. ;) That and I have close to 8 yards of compost, and will get 6 more tomorrow. It's free from the county. I added the top soil prior to the 2015 grow. I went from a killer year to a dismal year. We will get it right ;) 

Being the PH is so high I've been feeding both dirt wise and via foliar applications

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supers, Bonnets, sweets, ow, soil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests