• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2018-Loving life in the dirt

Here we go again! ;)

This year will be a mix of in the dirt and container growing. Mostly in the dirt. I have some OW's going, 5 are cut back, 6 are pubes that still spend time outdoors as the weather allows. I have pH issues in the dirt, working on that, and hoping for some better results this season. One thing the wife and I decided is to NOT grow into the fall again. I was pulling plants the same weekend I started my seeds. I'm using 4 2 bulb T8's with 6,500K bulbs, and 1 4 bulb T5 with I believe 6,500K bulbs.

So here's the list:

Planted 12-3-17

~Aji Amarillo
~Aji Dulce
~Scotchbrain
~Scotchbrain-Morugawelder
~P. Dreadie's-Windchicken
~BOC-Windchicken
 JA Habs
~Aji Oro
~pdn-bonda w PaulG
~pdn-bonda p PaulG
~pumpkin bb6-Morugawelder
~pumpkin bubblegum Bhuter
~orangegum tigermamp Bhuter
~7-pot cinder Bhuter
~pimente-neyde Bhuter
~Big Black mama-OCD Chilihead
~Brainstrain-Reaper OCD Chilihead

Planted 12-30-2017

~Jalapeno-Zapotec, Orange, Farmers.
~Poblano
~Bell-Yellow, Red.
~padrons
Hot Hatch
~Ancho
~Antep Aci Dolma
~Big Jim
~Anaheim
~Large Orange Thai
~Gochu-Stickman
~Aji Limo Rojo
Jimmy Nardello

Planted 1-1-2018

~Yellow Brainstrain- Pepperguru

The ~ indicates we have lift off.

I planted extra early to beat the heat, hoping for pods before the temps go crazy. I may have to buy more lights...LOL

Pics sometime tomorrow ;)

Flying Scott, love the set up, lights seem bang on, as all those seedlings seem very healthy, you can see the dark green /light green foliage of the pdn cross from Paul and Tristan...

Some epic eating there Scott, it might get out in that Texas sun, but your not go hungry buddy. [emoji6]

Good luck for the season, and keep having fun.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Well awlright, Scott, a great season has begun for ya.....already!

My grow is gonna start a little later than last year. Gonna try a modicum of poise this season. I see you have the Antep Aci Dolma on your list this year. I saw what Frank (the welder of Morugas) had grown and boy am I on tha' stuff!

Anyhow, you got snow in your 'hood, I got snow and 15 below in mine, so we'll call it "in common", eh?

Luck!

cone9 said:

You have good dirt, a green thumb, sunshade(no need for that up here), a cooperative spouse and a THP family.

All the essentials for a fine pepper garden

Thanks Dave!

If it wasn't for the THP members I wouldn't have a fraction of the knowledge or the variety in my garden ;)

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
You're off to a good start Scott! :party:

Looking forward to following along again this year, hopefully you'll get even more success than 2017!

A great list of specimens too!

Thanks TBG!

I'm sure hoping to do better than the last 3 seasons, got some cards up my sleeve ;)

stickman said:

Heh... true that!   Hoping this season is a stellar one for you Scott. Love the list as well. Cheers!

Thanks Rick!

Soil samples went out today to Logan's for the double test (M3 and AA-8.2). I still have time to get things in order, or start that road trip before late March.

bpiela said:
Great List!  Best of luck this year.  Definitely watching those Antep Aci Dolmas.  I will be growing them this year as well but will probably start annuums in March/April timeframe.

Thanks Ben!

I've been tweaking the pepper grow more to the wife's tastes; she's really started using them in everyday meals since I started that program last season. I should have some nice large robust plants come dirt day this year; and should be done by July. So it's rev em up and let's git going! ;)

santis00 said:
What size square pots are you using? Was going to order some supplies. Wasn't sure if I should go straight into square or start small and transplant

Those are 3.5" pots. The whole idea is to be able to leave them in there until they are ready for the larger pot. But this year I had really good germ rates and many had 3 seeds pop. So when they got to the size you see in the #1 pots I moved them. I didn't have the heart to snip the extras...LOL

Superhot Sim said:
Flying Scott, love the set up, lights seem bang on, as all those seedlings seem very healthy, you can see the dark green /light green foliage of the pdn cross from Paul and Tristan...

Some epic eating there Scott, it might get out in that Texas sun, but your not go hungry buddy. [emoji6]

Good luck for the season, and keep having fun.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Thanks Sim!

You said it all, fun is the name of the game. If the body could still take it I'd be out there 10-12 hours a day just a piddling ;)

stettoman said:
Well awlright, Scott, a great season has begun for ya.....already!

My grow is gonna start a little later than last year. Gonna try a modicum of poise this season. I see you have the Antep Aci Dolma on your list this year. I saw what Frank (the welder of Morugas) had grown and boy am I on tha' stuff!

Anyhow, you got snow in your 'hood, I got snow and 15 below in mine, so we'll call it "in common", eh?

Luck!

Thanks Eric!

Yeah ice on the truck this morning, not the 'cat ;) That's the "in common" you can keep my friend ;) 

That's twice this winter we're into the "cold", teens in the morning. They called school last night so we got to stay home and build a fire. We've used more wood this year than in the last 3!

Maybe, just maybe those bugs took a hit. They need to..LOL

Good luck this season!

Devv said:

Thanks Eric!

Yeah ice on the truck this morning, not the 'cat ;) That's the "in common" you can keep my friend ;)

That's twice this winter we're into the "cold", teens in the morning. They called school last night so we got to stay home and build a fire. We've used more wood this year than in the last 3!

Maybe, just maybe those bugs took a hit. They need to..LOL

Good luck this season!

Thanks Scott! Yeah, keep the kitty dry, I don't know why, but do it.

Expect to see a lot of the peppers you sent last year in my '18 grow!

Well, howdy again stranger.

Glad to see you're still growing strong down there in Tejas.

It's 12F and snowing here right now, so not much else to do besides heckle you southerners on the intertrons.

stettoman said:

Thanks Scott! Yeah, keep the kitty dry, I don't know why, but do it.

Expect to see a lot of the peppers you sent last year in my '18 grow!

I can't wait to see them ;)

The cat's a garage gal, not allowed out in the rain. You know cats hate the water ;)

TrentL said:
Well, howdy again stranger.

Glad to see you're still growing strong down there in Tejas.

It's 12F and snowing here right now, so not much else to do besides heckle you southerners on the intertrons.

Hi Trent!

LTNS! They say...19° in the morning. Thanks for sharing...LOL

Devv said:

Hi Trent!

LTNS! They say...19° in the morning. Thanks for sharing...LOL

Yeah I heard on the news, the entire state of Texas is closed. Y'all just don't know how to drive on ice and snow like us yanks do. :)

Dunno if you seen the farm thread, it's in the growing forum, opened the damn thing in the wrong forum. Haven't been able to get a mod to respond to move it, but I'll be doing a big grow this year. Bought 21 acres of prime farmland. Going to start "small" with a half acre of peppers, around 5,000 plants.

ETA: It's good to see old friendly faces around here. I was worried I wouldn't know ANYONE when I got on and all the Glogs were from unfamiliar faces. I was like "aww hell, all my old long distance growing buddies done moved on in the last 3 years..."

Think half the problem is people in tx can't drive in snow, and part is the state just doesn't have the equipment to keep the roads decent. I lived there for a short stint and remember a guy cleaning off his car with a spatula. And he was actually digging in and flipping snow like they were burgers lol

You're way ahead of the game here Scott, I'll be following all year long.

Devv said:

Thanks Rick!

Soil samples went out today to Logan's for the double test (M3 and AA-8.2). I still have time to get things in order, or start that road trip before late March.

Very cool Scott! I'll be curious to see how the soil test results come out for you. Cheers!

TrentL said:

Yeah I heard on the news, the entire state of Texas is closed. Y'all just don't know how to drive on ice and snow like us yanks do. :)

Dunno if you seen the farm thread, it's in the growing forum, opened the damn thing in the wrong forum. Haven't been able to get a mod to respond to move it, but I'll be doing a big grow this year. Bought 21 acres of prime farmland. Going to start "small" with a half acre of peppers, around 5,000 plants.

ETA: It's good to see old friendly faces around here. I was worried I wouldn't know ANYONE when I got on and all the Glogs were from unfamiliar faces. I was like "aww hell, all my old long distance growing buddies done moved on in the last 3 years..."

I was born and raised in NY. The day my license came in the mail it was snowing, so I learned pretty quick how to drive in the snow and ice. And I had a blast every time it snowed ;)

But 'yall are right; around here they have some real issues driving in the snow and ice. While I'm at it, let's include during a rain! They just don't slow down; one has to respect the road conditions. That's why I still have the '04 4x4 to use when I go to San Antonio :shh:

Congrats on the 21 acres! I'll have to look for your thread ;) A half acre grow is a lot to manage; I'm sure it will be fun. I have 20 here, bought it for cheap in 1989. Been running cattle on it. I retire in 2 years and may do something else with it down the road.

Genetikx said:
Think half the problem is people in tx can't drive in snow, and part is the state just doesn't have the equipment to keep the roads decent. I lived there for a short stint and remember a guy cleaning off his car with a spatula. And he was actually digging in and flipping snow like they were burgers lol

You're way ahead of the game here Scott, I'll be following all year long.

Thanks Ryan!

Good luck with your grow this year!

Maybe better said half the people just can't drive down here...LOL They crazy!

stickman said:

Very cool Scott! I'll be curious to see how the soil test results come out for you. Cheers!

Me too! And thanks for the info on the calcareous soil. Using the original test I would have just went with the Ph issues.

Devv said:

Me too! And thanks for the info on the calcareous soil. Using the original test I would have just went with the Ph issues.
No problem bro'... we aim to please. [emoji3]

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Back