• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2019

No grow log for the 2018 season other than the Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques
thread dedicated to Trippa's cross. That one is an ongoing community project going into
second year and a test of the F7 generation. I imagine I will mention it once-in-a-while in
this thread, but the details of its progress will be in the dedicated thread.

I am deciding on a grow list for the 2019 season after growing only Trippa's cross this
season (2018). I definitely have some old favorites that will comprise the great majority
of the grow. I have limited space, so I'm counting on nature to help me make the final
decision. I'll probably start lots of seeds since I'm gun-shy from the poor germination
rates the past couple of seasons.

Here's the pool. Would be nice to be able to grow a bunch of all of them!  I think my
neighbor will shelter the overflow in his yard, but we'll see what to plant and how many
based on what might germinate  :rofl:

c. chinese - 10 varieties
  • PdN x BMJ, F7, white and violet varieties, Trippa's cross
  • Fatali, F2 of seed from Pepper Joe's
  • 7 Pot Burgundy, brown phenotype, pecan shape from 2017 F2 of the 7PB from Windchicken 
  • Scotch Bonnet, MoA, F2 of seeds from John/Sim, not high production, but some nice pods
  • JA Red Habanero, F5 of seed from Walk Good/Devv
  • Yellow Scorpion, F7 aka Yellow Trinidad Moruga Scorpion and CARDI Scorpion, from Spankycolts plant 2012
  • Bhut Jolokia, Red, F4, from Spankycolts plant 2012
  • Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate, F3 of seed from Georgia Growhead
  • Bhut Jolokia, hybrid, F2 - I believe it is a  (BJred) x (Pdn x BMJ F1 or F2)
  • Yellow 7 Pot, F2 of seed from Trippa 2013
c. annuum - 4 varieties:
  • JA Red Mushroom, F3, brown phenotype, seed from Refining Fire
  • Pimenta de Padron - Spanish seed, fry up while small and green, throw on some salt
  • Pimenta del Piquillo - Spanish seed, sweet, very flavorful, small stuffers
  • Guindilla - Spanish seed, spicy heat, great pickled, long and skinny
c. frutescens - 2 varieties:
  • Nagahari from Tezpur, India, supposedly very, very hot freebie from Pepper Joe's 2017
  • Chili Costa Rica, F2 (2014) from Hippy Seed Company seed, 2012
c. pubescens - 1 variety:
  • Red Rocoto, F3 of Peruvian Market seed, 2016
That about does it. Seeding time will be here before we know it!

Trying out isolating a pod with the little party favor bags.
The Aji Amarillo is setting pods right along, so a good
specimen to practice on:
EE9570D0-4890-431C-AA20-91A6CA872A25.jpeg

JA Red Habanero pod:
D5AF04B6-D57A-40BC-9306-63EEFE8C48A6.jpeg

The Peruvian Red Rocoto pods are increasing in size:
618FDE5A-6BD6-4918-BC78-D6DD899773F1.jpeg

Hey Paul! I went to search for your glog and saw 33 pages already and double checked to make sure it was this years grow  :shocked:  :lol:  I then promptly put my contacts in, grabbed a beer, make that 2  :shh: and got to it! Is that the original Aerogarden from 8 years ago?! If so man you got your moneys worth outta that thing! The plants look great my friend from start to present day. Lovin the garage set up, the test tubes, the colors, the varieties, the greenhouse, the gallon starts, everything! Totally off pepper topic but your'e killing the Jade game too for that matter! Great list, you touched on a little bit of everything. Everything looks incredible. Nice work. Absolutely beautiful work  :clap:  

PaulG said:
That's how most of the forum members got it going, Scott.
The danger comes when we think we've got it down and
get complacent, then do something stupid  :banghead:.

Been there.

Done that.

Good luck going forward! 

I know the feeling, think you got it right then relax and then it messes all up. lol

yea man that would be great if you have some extra seeds to share. I really want to try growing some rocoto types next year.  hopefully I'll have some seeds you'd want in trade.

BDASPNY said:

I know the feeling, think you got it right then relax and then it messes all up. lol

yea man that would be great if you have some extra seeds to share. I really want to try growing some rocoto types next year.  hopefully I'll have some seeds you'd want in trade.
I'll be keeping an eye on your grow, Scott.
I'd love to swap some seeds this Fall.

Germination results so far:

Older seeds:

Chili Costa Rica 2015, none yet - Third try at this one this season. Used a different dried pod each time 
Chacoense var. Exile 2014, none yet - Seed from Stc3248, 2nd gen. 
Goat's Weed 2014, 3 germinated - Yay! Seed originally from Stc3248, 3rd gen.
Costeño Amarillo 2014, 2 germinated - Yay, an original PepperLover strain via SoCalChilihead 3rd gen.

Spanish Seeds: Very, very disappointing so far. Had great luck in past 

Guindilla, none yet
Piquillo, none yet
Padron, 2 germinated

Other varieties:

Mulato Isleño, none yet - One moldy, doesn't look good 2nd gen. 
JA Mushroom 2016, 3 germinated - Yay. Interesting brown colored pods 3rd gen.
Marconi Rosso 2018, 3 germinated - Hume Organic seed
Golden Marconi 2017, 2 germinated
Yellow Banana 2017, none yet

PaulG said:
When I try to post a reply to my own thread, the browser
jumps to the THP main page rather than posting my information.

I can use mail and post to other threads, just not my own,
except sporadically. WTF.

Are you using a phone or a PC? Either way try and clear the cache and history. Don't understand the 'mail' line?

Devv said:
Are you using a phone or a PC? Either way try and clear the cache and history. Don't understand the 'mail' line?

Thanks for the tip, Scott, I will give that a try.

By mail I meant messaging

Devv said:
Those are really looking stellar Paul! Come dirt-outside day they will have bark ;)
And maybe even a little bite

PaulG said:
When I try to post a reply to my own thread, the browser
jumps to the THP main page rather than posting my information.

I can use mail and post to other threads, just not my own,
except sporadically. WTF.

The same happened to me last week, I tried to cut the post in half (It was very picture heavy) then it worked. 

Hey, Paul! Going through my seeds, I see the seeds you sent me last fall are labeled "F6". Were those F6 pods making these seeds F7...or are they F6 seeds?

I'm gonna start one of each and add a Madame Jeanette x Gorongong from Midwestchilehead. The last one was a helmet head, unsuccessfully removed.

Mildfruit said:

The same happened to me last week, I tried to cut the post in half (It was very picture heavy) then it worked. 
So bizarre. The post it happened on was a text post
only - my germination results. I had to cut the text up
into pieces and upload a little at a time. Even then, I
had to try several times to get the pieces to post.  No
problems posting to other pages/threads.  Yecch!

What's the point of having a thread if I can't reliably
upload to it?

Bhuter said:
Hey, Paul! Going through my seeds, I see the seeds you sent me last fall are labeled "F6". Were those F6 pods making these seeds F7...or are they F6 seeds?

I'm gonna start one of each and add a Madame Jeanette x Gorongong from Midwestchilehead. The last one was a helmet head, unsuccessfully removed.
I have one of those on my grow shelf awaiting amalysis right now!

Those came from F6 plants, so will produce
the seventh generation of the cross. I am going
to stop using the Fx notation and just write the
generation the seed will produce. Maybe that
will ease confusion.

Now to see if this will post...

PaulG said:
So bizarre. The post it happened on was a text post
only - my germination results. I had to cut the text up
into pieces and upload a little at a time. Even then, I
had to try several times to get the pieces to post.  No
problems posting to other pages/threads.  Yecch!

What's the point of having a thread if I can't reliably
upload to it?

Those came from F6 plants, so will produce
the seventh generation of the cross. I am going
to stop using the Fx notation and just write the
generation the seed will produce. Maybe that
will ease confusion.

Now to see if this will post...
Thank you, Paul! The same confusion happened with the Cinder seeds I sent to Justin at WHP. I sent F2 and F3 pods, making the seeds F3 & F4...but they're labeled as F2 & F3...a generation behind. Oh well. It happens. Not a big deal. I guess I should tell him. Lol. Sorry Justin!

Bhuter said:
Thank you, Paul! The same confusion happened with the Cinder seeds I sent to Justin at WHP. I sent F2 and F3 pods, making the seeds F3 & F4...but they're labeled as F2 & F3...a generation behind. Oh well. It happens. Not a big deal. I guess I should tell him. Lol. Sorry Justin!
Better late than never  :rofl:

BJ hybrid Kratky jar:
9767D1EE-C988-4CCD-8EA1-3452C7E72647.jpeg

The water level is the bottom of the black tape.
Some fuzzy oxygen absorbing roots in the air space:
9754353F-5288-4746-9373-E67222DD7086.jpeg

Top view. Leaves are robust:
10414B32-FF9E-47E1-944E-068616CF78D8.jpeg

Anyone have an idea how big it will get in a quart jar?
Eventually it will go into a gallon jar of some kind,
I suppose.

That's a lot of roots.

Re the text posting issue, are you typing it directly into the reply window or cutting and pasting from another app?

If the latter, try this.  Once you get the text in the reply window, click "more reply options", or "full editor".  If you're using a mobile device, make sure you're in desktop mode.  Then click the html button in the upper left of the reply window to reveal the html code.

It could be that some formatting html is carrying over from your composition app and causing the problem you experience.  Removing everything but the essential stuff might fix things.  Then again, it might not.

Sawyer said:
That's a lot of roots.

Re the text posting issue, are you typing it directly into the reply window or cutting and pasting from another app?

If the latter, try this.  Once you get the text in the reply window, click "more reply options", or "full editor".  If you're using a mobile device, make sure you're in desktop mode.  Then click the html button in the upper left of the reply window to reveal the html code.

It could be that some formatting html is carrying over from your composition app and causing the problem you experience.  Removing everything but the essential stuff might fix things.  Then again, it might not.
Thanks for the tips!

I tried it both ways, John. Maybe there was a 
bit of text in the original that mimicked some 
kind of code causing the problem.

I have no problems posting from my iPad.

Back