• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2019

No grow log for the 2018 season other than the Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques
thread dedicated to Trippa's cross. That one is an ongoing community project going into
second year and a test of the F7 generation. I imagine I will mention it once-in-a-while in
this thread, but the details of its progress will be in the dedicated thread.

I am deciding on a grow list for the 2019 season after growing only Trippa's cross this
season (2018). I definitely have some old favorites that will comprise the great majority
of the grow. I have limited space, so I'm counting on nature to help me make the final
decision. I'll probably start lots of seeds since I'm gun-shy from the poor germination
rates the past couple of seasons.

Here's the pool. Would be nice to be able to grow a bunch of all of them!  I think my
neighbor will shelter the overflow in his yard, but we'll see what to plant and how many
based on what might germinate  :rofl:

c. chinese - 10 varieties
  • PdN x BMJ, F7, white and violet varieties, Trippa's cross
  • Fatali, F2 of seed from Pepper Joe's
  • 7 Pot Burgundy, brown phenotype, pecan shape from 2017 F2 of the 7PB from Windchicken 
  • Scotch Bonnet, MoA, F2 of seeds from John/Sim, not high production, but some nice pods
  • JA Red Habanero, F5 of seed from Walk Good/Devv
  • Yellow Scorpion, F7 aka Yellow Trinidad Moruga Scorpion and CARDI Scorpion, from Spankycolts plant 2012
  • Bhut Jolokia, Red, F4, from Spankycolts plant 2012
  • Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate, F3 of seed from Georgia Growhead
  • Bhut Jolokia, hybrid, F2 - I believe it is a  (BJred) x (Pdn x BMJ F1 or F2)
  • Yellow 7 Pot, F2 of seed from Trippa 2013
c. annuum - 4 varieties:
  • JA Red Mushroom, F3, brown phenotype, seed from Refining Fire
  • Pimenta de Padron - Spanish seed, fry up while small and green, throw on some salt
  • Pimenta del Piquillo - Spanish seed, sweet, very flavorful, small stuffers
  • Guindilla - Spanish seed, spicy heat, great pickled, long and skinny
c. frutescens - 2 varieties:
  • Nagahari from Tezpur, India, supposedly very, very hot freebie from Pepper Joe's 2017
  • Chili Costa Rica, F2 (2014) from Hippy Seed Company seed, 2012
c. pubescens - 1 variety:
  • Red Rocoto, F3 of Peruvian Market seed, 2016
That about does it. Seeding time will be here before we know it!

CaneDog said:

Glad to see you getting plants into the outdoors, Paul.  I was surprised to hear how late your last frost is.  I've been lugging plants in and out for a few weeks now and I'm ready to put them out to stay.  Do you have typical Portland weather where you are or is there any local variation to speak of?
:lol:

The May 19th date is for 10% probability, the average
last frost date (50%probability) is third week of April, in
fact, right about now.

We live in the south end of the Tualatin Valley, so have
the Coast Range to the west, Tualitin Hills to the south,
and the West Hills of Portland to the east. thus we are
often (not always) protected from the weather. The satellite 
image often shows a dark hole in the clouds directly over
the Tualatin Valley. This used to be extremely fertile farm
land, since developed, but there is a lot of farming once
you get away from the 'burbs a little. Lots of wineries, etc.

Looks like your season is starting to roll along, CD!

Don't believe HF sells the panels by themselves/kit.Bought 2 pieces a while back from a storeroom nearby
that sells to nursery owners.We have a few projects that is taking some attention now (chimney repair/replacement)
so I'll put that on the back burner for now...home ownership does have its +++  :eh: 
I was looking at some you tube  videos & some folks have done fantastic add ons to the HFGH that is truly
amazing..solar panels to run the fans etc...really cool..learn a lot  from people who share their projects &more so
one gets a lot of ideas..if anyone is looking into HFGH  they should look at those videos ..very enlightening.
The HFGH panels are really inferior & lasting 5 to 7 yrs tops before needing replacement.the sun
really causes disintegration and they become so pliable..on a side note Amazon sells some of those wire clips that
many folks on UT say are better quality &   & panels stay put...made in the UK...worth looking into,I recall spending
hrs looking for those clips..they pop off easily...anything that is better at keeping those panels from flying is a boon.

"Nuff said ..happy growing...all looks well at your place. ;)

wiriwiri said:
Don't believe HF sells the panels by themselves/kit.Bought 2 pieces a while back from a storeroom nearby
that sells to nursery owners.We have a few projects that is taking some attention now (chimney repair/replacement)
so I'll put that on the back burner for now...home ownership does have its +++  :eh:
I was looking at some you tube  videos & some folks have done fantastic add ons to the HFGH that is truly
amazing..solar panels to run the fans etc...really cool..learn a lot  from people who share their projects &more so
one gets a lot of ideas..if anyone is looking into HFGH  they should look at those videos ..very enlightening.
The HFGH panels are really inferior & lasting 5 to 7 yrs tops before needing replacement.the sun
really causes disintegration and they become so pliable..on a side note Amazon sells some of those wire clips that
many folks on UT say are better quality &   & panels stay put...made in the UK...worth looking into,I recall spending
hrs looking for those clips..they pop off easily...anything that is better at keeping those panels from flying is a boon.

"Nuff said ..happy growing...all looks well at your place. ;)
Thanks for the heads up, Sandy. I know what you mean
about the panels that come with the HFGH. The replacement
ones I bought are UV stabilized and just seem like better
quality panels. Shame on HF for not offering a replacement
panel kit. Would be so easy for them to do.

Hope your 2019 season is proving to be a good one so far!

Aji Amarillo looking tall getting some fresh air:
511C5218-9138-4A57-A895-4646F87B8D79.jpeg

Really glad to get at least one seedling from the
2014 c. chacoense var. Exile seed. Of course it
came out wearing a helmet. I let it ride for two days,
then had to perform a little surgery:
C3E5FF11-FF08-4D80-AC5C-437F4BA8CCC1.jpeg

PaulG said:

Howdy Brandon! 

The BJ hybrid is the result of a BJ Red being pollinated
by either a PdNxBMJ F1 or F2. They were the only purple
plants in my grow that season.

They show the tall, rangy growth habit of the PdN cross,
with various shades of purple foliage, depending on the
individual plant. Pods are def bhuts with some interesting
shadings and color.

I have four of them going this season. Will definitely be
sharing/swapping seeds from them in the Fall.  

My probable name for this pepper is 'Purple Thunder".
Kind of a counterpoint to the 'White Lightning' name I
use for the original PdNxBMJ cross.

Again, really good to see you on the forum, my friend!

Afternoon Paul! Man things are looking good in your neck of the woods! That greenhouse...  :shocked: just killing it my friend! The height on some of those varieties is nuts, in gallons at that! That rocoto sure is a stunner as well, between you and Canedog I think you guys might have me converted by seasons end and I'll be embarking on a grow that isn't strictly superhots next year lol. Too cool. That hybrid sure sounds neat, you wouldn't by any chance have some pod shots would ya  :cool:  lovin the name too! I love the shot of your yard in the sunshine, you have a beautiful setup. I'm sure it's been said but are you growing strictly containers with all these plants come plant out? Also I don't know if you missed it or I missed you answering me post 662.. but I am curious is that the same aerogarden that you've been using since 2012? I saw one on sale the other day and thought of ya, I'm thinking about trying one out, figure why not I'm been starting seeds the same way for years and I keep seeing all these other cool techniques you and others are using.. Go for it?

Thanks alot Paul I'm super happy that your still here posting and growing away! Only downfall to being back is that I wish I had more time to surf the glogs, it was kinda depressing I was making a pretty good dent on my "staycation" last week and then got the ol back to work reality slap, which slowed the surfing down drastically lol. Ah well, bills ain't gonna pay themselves and there's always my weekends!

Once again, lookin good my friend!!  :cheers:

BigCedar said:

Afternoon Paul! Man things are looking good in your neck of the woods! That greenhouse...  :shocked: just killing it my friend! The height on some of those varieties is nuts, in gallons at that! That rocoto sure is a stunner as well, between you and Canedog I think you guys might have me converted by seasons end and I'll be embarking on a grow that isn't strictly superhots next year lol. Too cool.
I'll send you some fresh Red rococo seeds this Fall, Brandon. I think you will like the Rocotos a lot. For flavor, I don't think they can be beat.
That hybrid sure sounds neat, you wouldn't by any chance have some pod shots would ya  :cool:  lovin the name too!
Ditto this variety. I hope to involve a lot of people in growing out the next generation of the cross in 2020. I'll see if I can find a pic or two in one of my grow logs.
I love the shot of your yard in the sunshine, you have a beautiful setup. I'm sure it's been said but are you growing strictly containers with all these plants come plant out? Also I don't know if you missed it or I missed you answering me post 662.. but I am curious is that the same aerogarden that you've been using since 2012? I saw one on sale the other day and thought of ya, I'm thinking about trying one out, figure why not I'm been starting seeds the same way for years and I keep seeing all these other cool techniques you and others are using.. Go for it?
I am growing in containers. Lots of 10 -18 gallon size, and a few 20s. Also starting a '3-gallon grow' this season. Will be putting 10 plants in 3-gallon pots with an eye to extending the season in the greenhouse, or maybe even an OW or two.
Thanks alot Paul I'm super happy that your still here posting and growing away! Only downfall to being back is that I wish I had more time to surf the glogs, it was kinda depressing I was making a pretty good dent on my "staycation" last week and then got the ol back to work reality slap, which slowed the surfing down drastically lol. Ah well, bills ain't gonna pay themselves and there's always my weekends!

Once again, lookin good my friend!!  :cheers: Thanks, bud!
I hear that! It is a killer trying to keep up with the grow logs.
Some turn over so fast that by the time I get to them, there
are 3-4 pages to catch up on. Then it becomes a chore. Don't
know how to make it any easier. Sitting at the computer for a
long time is no fun for me, but using the iPad in front of the
TV is one way I can visit a few each evening.

If you figure out a better solution, let me know, Brandon!

That Aji Amarillo is looking great, can't wait for mine to grow into a beast like that. Did you have issues with the main stem being thin at the bottom? I have grown two Amarillo's this year and one eventually broke, while I use sticks to prevent the same to happen to the #2 Amarillo. Just wondering if this is a Amarillo trait or just for me :D

Mildfruit said:
That Aji Amarillo is looking great, can't wait for mine to grow into a beast like that. Did you have issues with the main stem being thin at the bottom? I have grown two Amarillo's this year and one eventually broke, while I use sticks to prevent the same to happen to the #2 Amarillo. Just wondering if this is a Amarillo trait or just for me :D
Sorry to butt in here, but whenever I see Aji Amarillo, I'm reminded of Aji Pacay. While I've never grown either variety, I like to get as many varieties as I can on peoples' minds.

To my understanding, Aji Pacay is similar to Aji Amarillo except Aji Pacay has much larger pods...and the plant is upwards of 7 feet (2+ meters). Great orange color!

If anybody needs seeds for Aji Pacay for next season...or this season in OZ, let me know! I still have a few. And some others.

Without seeing pics of your Amarillo, could the thin stalk/stem be damping off? Just curious.

Paul: 2014 c. chacoense var. Exile?? Do you have more about this written down somewhere?

Thanks!

Bhuter said:
Sorry to butt in here, but whenever I see Aji Amarillo, I'm reminded of Aji Pacay. While I've never grown either variety, I like to get as many varieties as I can on peoples' minds.

To my understanding, Aji Pacay is similar to Aji Amarillo except Aji Pacay has much larger pods...and the plant is upwards of 7 feet (2+ meters). Great orange color!

If anybody needs seeds for Aji Pacay for next season...or this season in OZ, let me know! I still have a few. And some others.

Without seeing pics of your Amarillo, could the thin stalk/stem be damping off? Just curious.

Paul: 2014 c. chacoense var. Exile?? Do you have more about this written down somewhere?

Thanks!
I have not grown the Aji Pacay, but I have had
Aji Amarillos that grew close to 7 feet, as well.

I got the seed for the Chaco from stc3248 back
in 2012-13. I think I have the name correct, but I
do not have the original envelope.

PaulG said:
I have not grown the Aji Pacay, but I have had
Aji Amarillos that grew close to 7 feet, as well.

I got the seed for the Chaco from stc3248 back
in 2012-13. I think I have the name correct, but I
do not have the original envelope.
Yet ANOTHER I must have. Lol.

Some Pacay info from Peter at Semillas and pics from the web.

Strong plants with high yield. They provide large, medium hot pods which are similar to Aji Amarillo and Aji Escabeche. Capsicum baccatum v. pendulum from Peru.

19228843_697267767133693_69423735408427008_n.jpg

49588018_517986998611488_7886073186413183787_n.jpg

PaulG said:
The May 19th date is for 10% probability, the average
last frost date (50%probability) is third week of April, in
fact, right about now.

Pretty much exactly the situation here in Helsinki as well. I don't have a greenhouse so I don't usually leave most of my peppers outside until after the first week of June when nighttime temps are on the average 10c (50f).

Do you leave them outside when nighttime temps are still in the 30-40f's or only in the greenhouse?

PaulG said:
The Pacay pods are definitely longer and more slender
than Amarillo pods. I like the fluted look, too!
I agree! Headed toward a Gorongong, being "concave" or "inverted" or "deflated" or "wide-pleated". Lol. (I think Deflated works best.) Lol

Let me know if you wanna give it a whirl, Paul. I have seeds for those.

Bhuter said:
I agree! Headed toward a Gorongong, being "concave" or "inverted" or "deflated" or "wide-pleated". Lol. (I think Deflated works best.) Lol

Let me know if you wanna give it a whirl, Paul. I have seeds for those.
Goronong. Wow, I haven't grown that one for awhile...

Let's trade some seeds this Fall. I'd give it a try just to
see how it does here.  the AA grow well here, except
for not having enough time to ripen up all the pods
which it sets so prolifically. I'g growing the AA in a
3-gallon pot this season so I can move it inside the
greenhouse this Fall and extend the season a bit.
Maybe the Pacay will do just as well here..

Back