• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2019

No grow log for the 2018 season other than the Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques
thread dedicated to Trippa's cross. That one is an ongoing community project going into
second year and a test of the F7 generation. I imagine I will mention it once-in-a-while in
this thread, but the details of its progress will be in the dedicated thread.

I am deciding on a grow list for the 2019 season after growing only Trippa's cross this
season (2018). I definitely have some old favorites that will comprise the great majority
of the grow. I have limited space, so I'm counting on nature to help me make the final
decision. I'll probably start lots of seeds since I'm gun-shy from the poor germination
rates the past couple of seasons.

Here's the pool. Would be nice to be able to grow a bunch of all of them!  I think my
neighbor will shelter the overflow in his yard, but we'll see what to plant and how many
based on what might germinate  :rofl:

c. chinese - 10 varieties
  • PdN x BMJ, F7, white and violet varieties, Trippa's cross
  • Fatali, F2 of seed from Pepper Joe's
  • 7 Pot Burgundy, brown phenotype, pecan shape from 2017 F2 of the 7PB from Windchicken 
  • Scotch Bonnet, MoA, F2 of seeds from John/Sim, not high production, but some nice pods
  • JA Red Habanero, F5 of seed from Walk Good/Devv
  • Yellow Scorpion, F7 aka Yellow Trinidad Moruga Scorpion and CARDI Scorpion, from Spankycolts plant 2012
  • Bhut Jolokia, Red, F4, from Spankycolts plant 2012
  • Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate, F3 of seed from Georgia Growhead
  • Bhut Jolokia, hybrid, F2 - I believe it is a  (BJred) x (Pdn x BMJ F1 or F2)
  • Yellow 7 Pot, F2 of seed from Trippa 2013
c. annuum - 4 varieties:
  • JA Red Mushroom, F3, brown phenotype, seed from Refining Fire
  • Pimenta de Padron - Spanish seed, fry up while small and green, throw on some salt
  • Pimenta del Piquillo - Spanish seed, sweet, very flavorful, small stuffers
  • Guindilla - Spanish seed, spicy heat, great pickled, long and skinny
c. frutescens - 2 varieties:
  • Nagahari from Tezpur, India, supposedly very, very hot freebie from Pepper Joe's 2017
  • Chili Costa Rica, F2 (2014) from Hippy Seed Company seed, 2012
c. pubescens - 1 variety:
  • Red Rocoto, F3 of Peruvian Market seed, 2016
That about does it. Seeding time will be here before we know it!

BDASPNY said:
that's some truly impressive root growth for such a small plant.
I am amazed by the root systems on the Kratky jars.
Peter S' pic of his 32 gallon Kratky just blew me away.

The General Hydroponics Rapid Start really kicked
the root growth into gear on these tomatoes:
E7D382AB-58FE-4E7A-9B17-D421F835BAD8.jpeg

Two Oregon Spring, two Siletz, and three Macedonian.
The white containers are 32-ounce, the black squares, 2.6 liters:
C5379910-6502-4ECB-9427-38112E57343D.jpeg

PT own post  +2 points

Not noticing  -1 point

Accidental     -1 point

Total Score 0

In the greenhouse...

The Bhut Jolokia hybrids are among the tallest plants.
This one is 28" tall:
DC89E383-BA1D-4F44-927B-C5FD054D0786.jpeg

The Bhut Jolokia hybrid rescue sprout test-tube baby has hit the 24" mark:
93BEDBB0-2B8B-4E06-8800-6BD56E8C7D0E.jpeg

I think they like the greenhouse atmosphere
even if not always toasty warm.

BigCedar said:
Hey Paul, the greenhouse is starting to take shape! Looking good  :cool:  Do you know what the Bhut hybrid is crossed with? Sure is a pretty plant.

Howdy Brandon! 

The BJ hybrid is the result of a BJ Red being pollinated
by either a PdNxBMJ F1 or F2. They were the only purple
plants in my grow that season.

They show the tall, rangy growth habit of the PdN cross,
with various shades of purple foliage, depending on the
individual plant. Pods are def bhuts with some interesting
shadings and color.

I have four of them going this season. Will definitely be
sharing/swapping seeds from them in the Fall.  

My probable name for this pepper is 'Purple Thunder".
Kind of a counterpoint to the 'White Lightning' name I
use for the original PdNxBMJ cross.

Again, really good to see you on the forum, my friend!

PaulG said:

Howdy Brandon! 

The BJ hybrid is the result of a BJ Red being pollinated
by either a PdNxBMJ F1 or F2. They were the only purple
plants in my grow that season.

They show the tall, rangy growth habit of the PdN cross,
with various shades of purple foliage, depending on the
individual plant. Pods are def bhuts with some interesting
shadings and color.

I have four of them going this season. Will definitely be
sharing/swapping seeds from them in the Fall.  

My probable name for this pepper is 'Purple Thunder".
Kind of a counterpoint to the 'White Lightning' name I
use for the original PdNxBMJ cross.

Again, really good to see you on the forum, my friend!
Alright, Paul! That cross sounds great! I love bhuts and I'm very curious to see what new creation you've staggered upon. Way to go, Paul...and bees!

Plants look great as does their surrounding...That HF GH looks familiar...I have one too,mine is showing it's age ...had to replace some of the panels
as the wind did/does a # on it,but like the song goes..."I'm still standing..looking like a true survivor"..my DH really anchored it well with a good
cement block foundation..maybe one of these days I'll buy a kit & replace all of the panels..probably cheaper than buying  the panels separately.
Happy growing Paul ..you do great work & it shows. :party: 

moruga welder said:
Heres to a stellar year Paul !       :cheers:

Thanks, Frank! Same to you, brother!

Devv said:
A very interesting cross Paul ;) Large leaves and tall!

CaneDog said:
Indeed! Look familiar? Gots those rangy PdN cross growth habits.

Bhuter said:
Alright, Paul! That cross sounds great! I love bhuts and I'm very curious to see what new creation you've staggered upon. Way to go, Paul...and bees!

It was very interesting when I grew it in 2017, so I
am looking forward to see what happens in this
generation.

wiriwiri said:
Plants look great as does their surrounding...That HF GH looks familiar...I have one too,mine is showing it's age ...had to replace some of the panels
as the wind did/does a # on it,but like the song goes..."I'm still standing..looking like a true survivor"..my DH really anchored it well with a good
cement block foundation..maybe one of these days I'll buy a kit & replace all of the panels..probably cheaper than buying  the panels separately.
Happy growing Paul ..you do great work & it shows. :party:
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words WiriWiri.

I had to replace the roof panels, but the sides have
been good. But, like yours, it is showing its age. Does
HF make a replacement panel kit? I just ordered some
6-mil panels from an online supplier to replace the 4-mil
panels that came with the greenhouse. I will try to clean
them one more time before doing an overhaul.

What I really need to do is take everything out this summer
and really clean it out

Hope your season is rockin!

Paul, have you gone and talked with anyone at OBC Northwest, Inc in Canby?  They are only open weekdays, but they might be able to help you with greenhouse panel replacements.  Of course, they deal mostly with commericial greenhouses, but they never turn me away when I have questions.

Edited to correct spelling.

Orekoc said:
Paul, have you gone and talked with anyone at OBC Northwest, Inc in Canby?  They are only open weekdays, but they might be able to help you with greenhouse panel replacements.  Of course, they deal mostly with commericial greenhouses, but they never turn me away when I have questions.

Edited to correct spelling.
Thanks for the tip, Craig. Perhaps this
summer I'll look them up.

A couple of trays of annum starts:
59E359E0-51F1-4250-9A61-1B9802529998.jpeg

05FE490C-30CC-4525-886D-84DF0CF9864F.jpeg

Isolated pod on the Aji Amarillo:
B5056E33-BEBE-4A8D-8C05-E7B62FC482FD.jpeg

PeruvianRed Rocoto is going outside for
the duration. Will be under the canopy on the deck
if weather bad, otherwise in some dappled shade,
9298B72E-5F06-41D8-BE98-5EAB757991B4.jpeg

7 Pot Burgundy has set a pod in the greenhouse:
0F95A947-4011-4CC9-995C-240CE89F96CF.jpeg

The larger Sri Lanka Red is a few days away
from outgrowing the grow shelf in the garage.
Dang.
A46E2D67-3043-4F56-8F71-D08293EB04B2.jpeg

I see Siletz and Oregon Spring tomatoes.  Both were developed at Oregon State University by Dr. James R. Baggett.  He also developed the ornamental peppers Riot and Marbles.  Among the 45 varieties he developed are :
  • Legend: A tomato that produces large fruit that is good to eat straight off the vine. Resistant to some forms of late blight. Ripens 60-65 days after transplanting. You can get a larger-sized, earlier-ripening fruit by growing them first from seeds in gallon-size pots then transplanting them, Myers said.
  • Gold Nugget: Among the first to ripen, this prolific variety grows cherry tomatoes with a deep yellow color and mild, juicy flavor. Ripens in 60 days.
  • Oroma: This tomato makes good tomato sauce and paste. Early to mature; average ripening time of 70 days. Prolific after ripening. Fruit is meaty and thick-walled.
  • Oregon Spring: Ripens in 60-70 days. Slicing variety that can be eaten fresh in salads or straight from the vine. It will produce high, early yields of silver-dollar-sized juicy tomatoes. 
  • Oregon Star: Ripens in 80 days. An early-maturing, red paste-type tomato. Large, seedless fruit. Good for fresh eating and for canning.
  • Santiam: Ripens in 65-75 days. Suited for salads and fresh eating; good, tart flavor. 
  • Siletz: Ripens in 70-75 days. Reliable tomato with good flavor; ideal for eating fresh from the vine. Not resistant to late blight.
  • Indigo Rose: Ripens about 80-90 days after transplanting. First of a new class of tomato that is high in antioxidants. Its purple color comes from the anthocyanin pigment in its fruit. This open-pollinated variety is semi-determinate – or larger than a determinate type but smaller than indeterminate types – and a prolific producer. Get the best flavor by picking the tomato at its ripest; it will turn a muddy brown, dull purple color in September when ripe.
He passed away January 21, 2016.

Orekoc said:
I see Siletz and Oregon Spring tomatoes.  Both were developed at Oregon State University by Dr. James R. Baggett.  He also developed the ornamental peppers Riot and Marbles.  Among the 45 varieties he developed are :
  • Legend: A tomato that produces large fruit that is good to eat straight off the vine. Resistant to some forms of late blight. Ripens 60-65 days after transplanting. You can get a larger-sized, earlier-ripening fruit by growing them first from seeds in gallon-size pots then transplanting them, Myers said.
  • Gold Nugget: Among the first to ripen, this prolific variety grows cherry tomatoes with a deep yellow color and mild, juicy flavor. Ripens in 60 days.
  • Oroma: This tomato makes good tomato sauce and paste. Early to mature; average ripening time of 70 days. Prolific after ripening. Fruit is meaty and thick-walled.
  • Oregon Spring: Ripens in 60-70 days. Slicing variety that can be eaten fresh in salads or straight from the vine. It will produce high, early yields of silver-dollar-sized juicy tomatoes. 
  • Oregon Star: Ripens in 80 days. An early-maturing, red paste-type tomato. Large, seedless fruit. Good for fresh eating and for canning.
  • Santiam: Ripens in 65-75 days. Suited for salads and fresh eating; good, tart flavor. 
  • Siletz: Ripens in 70-75 days. Reliable tomato with good flavor; ideal for eating fresh from the vine. Not resistant to late blight.
  • Indigo Rose: Ripens about 80-90 days after transplanting. First of a new class of tomato that is high in antioxidants. Its purple color comes from the anthocyanin pigment in its fruit. This open-pollinated variety is semi-determinate or larger than a determinate type but smaller than indeterminate types and a prolific producer. Get the best flavor by picking the tomato at its ripest; it will turn a muddy brown, dull purple color in September when ripe.
He passed away January 21, 2016.
Thanks for this, Craig. I knew they are OSU varieties,
developed by Dr. Baggett, but had not heard of the
others. Also had not heard of his death. The Indigo
Rose sounds very good. Will try to remember to get
some next season...

Isolated pods on the F7 violet (seed from double pod):
C144D4CE-C0DE-44CA-A474-9C29AB203D24.jpeg

These plants will be outside every day, and brought
in at night under warm weather arrives:
3FC93D98-83F3-418C-ADEB-315E4EBF6859.jpeg

The plants with big or tall canopies will stay in greenhouse: