Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:30 AM

Messy.

20190621-094720.jpg

DoughlahT X.  This guy came out red instead of brown. 

One of the two cuttings I took from the vole-killed plant has rooted.  Fingers crossed for the other one.

20190621-093513.jpg

I think this guy's bigger than Siv's plant now, which is in pain, as expected, but hanging on.  I'm hopeful for his recovery.  I'll get some photos of him once he starts to perk up; it would be unseemly to show him in his distress.

20190621-094407.jpg

Dood caught himself a housefly.  Pretty impressive.  And it's mostly in focus this time!

20190621-101305.jpg

Mandarin-Duck.jpg

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#442 Siv

Siv

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:48 AM

Lovely poddage from the DouglahT, even if it's the wrong colour.

I'm rooting for my plant. We usually take a little time to adapt but once we're past the initial hump, we thrive in new settings.

#443 simp3204

simp3204

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:22 PM

Messy.
20190621-094720.jpg

DoughlahT X.  This guy came out red instead of brown. 
One of the two cuttings I took from the vole-killed plant has rooted.  Fingers crossed for the other one.
20190621-093513.jpg

I think this guy's bigger than Siv's plant now, which is in pain, as expected, but hanging on.  I'm hopeful for his recovery.  I'll get some photos of him once he starts to perk up; it would be unseemly to show him in his distress.
20190621-094407.jpg

Dood caught himself a housefly.  Pretty impressive.  And it's mostly in focus this time!
20190621-101305.jpg

Mandarin-Duck.jpg

I’m about to setup two Kratky 5-gallon bucket setups and am wondering how you attached your cage to them. Any pointers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#444 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:13 PM

Im about to setup two Kratky 5-gallon bucket setups and am wondering how you attached your cage to them. Any pointers?

Depends on the lid you're using. Cutting a hole in the bucket lid like I did? Depends on the shape of the lid. The Leaktite buckets I'm using have these little ribs around the rim of the lid. I drilled holes and zip tied the cages. That way the whole thing - cage, lid, and all - comes off with the plant. Hang on, I'll get a picture.

I got these buckets at Home Depot. 

20190621-171438.jpg

If you're using the 5-gallon bucket lid/net pot combos, I'd zip tie PVC pipe to the net pot à la Mr. Stanley instead of using the wire fence. With only two buckets this is almost certainly the less expensive route unless you've already got wire fencing on hand. Be sure to get the type that snaps onto the bucket - some of those combo jobs just sit on top and are susceptible to being blown over in the wind.

Edited by Uncle_Eccoli, 21 June 2019 - 04:19 PM.

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#445 BigCedar

BigCedar

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • aka:Brandon

Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:29 PM

gonna be even more fun to see him dig it up and prune it back to bring it back inside and overwinter it! :lol:  :rofl:

Oh man this one had me actually laughing out loud! I was starting to think it right as I read it, too f***n funny and so true!  :rofl:

THANK SIV!

I thought I was gonna have to make a road trip! Deserves better than a George Washington Cherry tree.

NICE!

I agree and second the thank you! Super happy you saved that plant Unc! I got way too attached to it during my 21 page binge read! Honestly I saw your page near the top of the glog section  a few minutes ago and it dawned on me... ohh shit! What about the freeport?! and here I am lol. 

Oh, brother.. I've become a meme.   :rofl:

Too cool.

Ya know truth be told I think it's definitely becoming a thing.. I took a picture of my chair next to my plants 2 days ago and when I get around to updating my glog I'll be dedicating that shot to you LOL. Keep in mind that was before I saw DW and PTD beat me to it.. Paul shared his chair on his glog too didnt he?... Yep. Definitely a thing.  :rofl:

Everything looks great Unc! Your plants are already the size I'll be lucky to see mine get in a whole season! They love you and the climate you got going on that's for sure! Those Red Douglah TXs have my attention.. Got any close ups? Have ya tried one yet? They look really cool. Your deck shot is awesome, I'd be spending every afternoon out there BBQing and admiring the pepper forest. Maybe I missed it but I have never seen anything like it in my life so I gotta ask.. what kinda bugs are those? They look like they mean business! 

Once again Unc, nice freeport save, I woulda put it in the fuckin lawn too!  :lol:  Nice work!! lookin forward to recovery photos! 

#446 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:52 PM

Thanks, BigCedar!  I'm only doing what I've read on THP.  There are so many folks here growing great plants so many different ways, I was able to pick out those methods and techniques I thought would be best for me.

Siv's plant is having a tough time of it, for sure.  Tomorrow won't be quite as hot; hope that helps.  Pulling for him. 

I've been waiting for this first cohort of  DouglahT pods to ripen fully before I take them down, so haven't tried one yet.  I'll be sure to report on it from inside my milk jug. 

Those guys are aptly named assassin bugs.  They look back at you like mantises or jumping spiders and only grudgingly move off if you nudge them.  And slowly.  Assassin bugs run before no creature.  

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#447 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:09 PM

Got any close ups?

20190621-190231.jpg

20190621-190248.jpg

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#448 BigCedar

BigCedar

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • aka:Brandon

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:40 AM

Ah man! Now that's what I'm talking about! Those look money Unc!!!

:hell:

#449 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:41 AM

Took these off the garbage can Freeport Orange this morning. 

20190623-113017.jpg

Papa Dreadies

20190623-103659.jpg

Fairamay and Frankie

20190623-103330.jpg

Potted up a little Purple UFO today.  Thinking about potting up my Reaper and DouglahT plants from their 5-gallon fabric pots.  Need a new potting mix recipe. 

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#450 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:02 PM

It is with a heavy heart and much regret that I must report the death of Siv's plant. The high heat was just too much for one who'd come to such prodigious size by a pampered background. His end will bring a music unsought but needed still.

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#451 Siv

Siv

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:10 PM

It is with a heavy heart and much regret that I must report the death of Siv's plant. The high heat was just too much for one who'd come to such prodigious size by a pampered background. His end will bring a music unsought but needed still.

RIP my namesake. May your decomposing body bring forth life anew while your memory lives on.

Edited by Siv, 27 June 2019 - 05:10 PM.

#452 DownRiver

DownRiver

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • aka:DR

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:30 PM

:(

:beer:

RIP

Life is like a plate of superhots: What you do today will most likely burn your ass tomorrow.

#453 DWB

DWB

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • aka:DW

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:24 PM

Sorry Unc. RIP great plant.

#454 lespaulde

lespaulde

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:16 PM

Terrible news unc, he will live on in our memories forever. RIP

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

#455 PtMD989

PtMD989

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:55 PM

:(

:beer:

RIP

X2

#456 simp3204

simp3204

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 12:16 AM

RIP!

#457 Mr.joe

Mr.joe

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 12:37 AM

A sad day indeed, he will live on thru the compost he created

#458 CaneDog

CaneDog

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 01:03 AM

:tear:        :violin:       :drunk:

#459 Uncle_Eccoli

Uncle_Eccoli

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:09 AM

Thanks, guys.  First plant I ever killed.    :(

On another note, got me some 10-gallon fabric pots and a couple bags of pine bark mulch.

Also, a snap-on net pot bucket lid is on the way for the DouglahT clone.  I'm excited about the zip tied PVC supports; the cages are a pain in the ass on the buckets.  They're working very well on the garbage cans, though I had to extend the Lemon Drop's upward by six inches.  I've been shimmying the Lemon Drop southward every now and then to stop the FO growing into his cage.

Kuh-Lee Kuh-Lekka

#460 Siv

Siv

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 10:23 AM

E, I've now put wire mesh around almost all my hydro buckets. The PVC supports worked great when the plants were smaller but now they're putting out lots of side branches and the PVC just doesn't cut it. All except the Aji Limo - they are now so wide that I can't get the mesh around them without breaking lots of branches. I wish I had done this sooner.

48137688953_a50af01029_c.jpg

I found the rabbit fence without the coating for a decent price on Amazon: https://www.amazon.c...duct/B000RZCILM

I think the solution for large plants may be a combination. If I could find 3x3" mesh with 4ft+ height, that would be ideal. The rabbit fence is just a little short for the bigguns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests