5 replies to this topic

#1 Hab_Nut

Hab_Nut

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:55 AM

I use a blade-type coffee grinder to grind salt with homegrown dried herbs and peppers. This leaves some dust in the grinder, and I'm afraid to wash it with water. I used to wipe that out with a paper towel, but I switched to using plain white rice, grinding it to scour out whatever had been ground before.

I always used to toss the ground rice, but yesterday I wondered, couldn't it be used? So after I ground some ghost peppers, I ground two batches of rice, and let it spin longer so the texture was like a coarse rice flour. Then I cooked it with water and butter, in the style of a hot cereal.

The texture came out very similar to grits, or Cream of Wheat if you're familiar with that product. Some people hate anything with that texture, but I always liked it. As a plus, the rice was nicely contaminated with traces of ghost pepper powder.

And the grinder is clean and waiting for the next round.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 48,442 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:16 AM

Rice job!

#3 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:47 AM

Good to thicken soup too :)

Edited by dragonsfire, 24 April 2019 - 10:47 AM.

#4 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 48,442 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:24 PM

Good flour for wings.

#5 Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 9,072 posts
  • aka:G.I.P.
  • (x5)

Posted 25 April 2019 - 01:42 AM

I use a blade-type coffee grinder to grind salt with homegrown dried herbs and peppers. This leaves some dust in the grinder, and I'm afraid to wash it with water. I used to wipe that out with a paper towel, but I switched to using plain white rice, grinding it to scour out whatever had been ground before.

I always used to toss the ground rice, but yesterday I wondered, couldn't it be used? So after I ground some ghost peppers, I ground two batches of rice, and let it spin longer so the texture was like a coarse rice flour. Then I cooked it with water and butter, in the style of a hot cereal.

The texture came out very similar to grits, or Cream of Wheat if you're familiar with that product. Some people hate anything with that texture, but I always liked it. As a plus, the rice was nicely contaminated with traces of ghost pepper powder.

And the grinder is clean and waiting for the next round.

this was the first dish i thought of after reading Original Post 

:drooling:

http://thehotpepper....enge/?p=1429802

:cheers: 

:onfire:  

#6 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 01:30 PM

That is how i clean mine too. Either rice or old lentils. The lentils work well for a thickening agent just like in sambar powder.

Edited by ShowMeDaSauce, 11 May 2019 - 01:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests