• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

nice~ glog - Côte d'Azur growing 2019

Always late to the party, at least as far as this grow log is concerned... Here's what's growing at this end for the 2019 northern hemisphere summer:
  • 7 Pot Primo
  • Aji Fantasy
  • Aji Lemon
  • Bahamian Goat Pepper
  • Espelette
  • Fatalii
  • Red Cap Mushroom
  • Red Habanero
  • Tabasco Short Yellow

The 7 Pot Primo, Ajis, Espelette, Fatalii and Red Cap Mushroom are new for this year. Meanwhile the Red Habanero and Tabasco Short Yellow are layovers from last year, after having been over-wintered, cut back and re-potted.

The Bahamian Goat is the senior of the group, being from a 2016 grow and still going strong!

Photos to follow...

Here are the two Fataliis, germinated in February. Quite late starters, and have been indoor under a grow lamp until last week. Nonetheless they look quite healthy.

glog-fatalii-02.jpg

(Unfortunately I've run out of room and so they're on the ground of the balcony at the moment. Something that I'm thinking of how best to rectify.)

Next are the two Espelettes, being from the seeds that I mentioned in the post here: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/69619-end-of-summer-in-france-piment-despelette-time/

glog-espelette-01.jpg

glog-espelette-02.jpg

Also planted in February and they're now just shy of 2 feet high and already flowering / starting to produce. I don't have unlimited room, and am not sure exactly how large they could grow, so am letting them start to bear fruit as opposed to nipping the flowers for more growth.

In the background of the second photo is the Red Cap Mushroom. And BTW - I still have plenty of Espelette seeds for trade, just DM me if you're interested.

Onto the 7 Pot Primo - although not the best photo of it (framed by the two Espelettes):

glog-7pot-01.jpg

Also started in February and I've just topped it. There are plenty of shoots lower down waiting to break out, so here's hoping! And thanks to Rajun Gardener for the seeds.

While the thread title and moniker should infer where the location is, for completeness (and until I take some more / better photos tomorrow) it's Nice, France.

This is a zone 9 / 10 area depending on which source you believe. So in theory very good growing conditions, and in practice not too far from this. Limited by the fact that being in a west facing apartment means only pot growing and decent sun in the afternoon. One of these days maybe a proper garden...

It's usually possible to over winter plants without bringing them indoors. But generally I cut them back and bring them inside because it can snow, plus it's generally wet and "cold".

Hey Nice, glad you're up and running with your glog.  Your fatalii look great - I really like the appearance of healthy fatalii plants, especially around the stage yours are at and a little bigger.  It'll be interesting to follow your Espelettes as well.  I actually remember your post from last year and have always had an interest in peppers that have a strong local connection to and history with a given locale. 

Good growing!

I lived in a place for 8 years up in Tampere, Finland where there is about 19.5 hours of sunlight per day during the summer. I could have had amazing growing conditions if I would have started a garden on the roof of the house! As it were, I had 2-3 hours in the morning on my east facing balcony and about 4.5 hours in the evening on my west facing, very small backyard due to other houses being so close to mine. I was able to grow herbs on the balcony and chilis in the back yard. Still, I was able to grow chilis :-)

Good luck in Nice, waiting to see some results!

podz said:
I lived in a place for 8 years up in Tampere, Finland where there is about 19.5 hours of sunlight per day during the summer. I could have had amazing growing conditions if I would have started a garden on the roof of the house! As it were, I had 2-3 hours in the morning on my east facing balcony and about 4.5 hours in the evening on my west facing, very small backyard due to other houses being so close to mine. I was able to grow herbs on the balcony and chilis in the back yard. Still, I was able to grow chilis :-)

Good luck in Nice, waiting to see some results!

Growing on the roof would have been interesting with the long days! The block I live in does indeed have top level apartments with terraces(!) - unfortunately I don't live in one of said apartments.  :cry:

Still one makes do with what one has - I'm thinking there will be plenty available from this season.  ;)

Here are the two Red Habaneros on the first balcony. They were germinated for the 2018 season and grew in all manner of uncontrolled directions (shame on my lack of pruning). Anyway I cut them back, re-potted then over wintered them.

glog-redhab-01.jpg

glog-redhab-02.jpg

glog-redhab-03.jpg

glog-redhab-04.jpg

They're now covered in flowers all over. So I'm not too unhappy with their "strange" forms.  :party:

glog-redhab-05.jpg

glog-redhab-06.jpg

And the last one on the balcony - a Red Cap Mushroom. This was one of the plants I germinated back in September last year and grew under lights until it warmed up enough outside.

Not sure whether it's the strongest of plants - there was a bug outbreak of some sort and it's still a little spindly. However generally it's back on track now and has plenty of flowers, so looking forward to the chilies.

glog-redcapmushroom-01.jpg

There are already some pods starting... The first couple of Espelettes are now here:

glog-espelette-03.jpg

And then there are three Red Cap Mushrooms. They sure don't look very 'red cap mushroom' to me, a ringer has obviously crept in. Oh well - I'm sure they'll be interesting.

glog-redcapmushroom-02.jpg

The second red habanero plant has also been going well - 02 Jun comparison left to right:

glog-redhab-02.jpg

glog-redhab-plant02-05.jpg

Interestingly the pods are a little different on this one, even though both red hab plants came from the same seeds (collected one time from peppers from a farm near here).

Not sure if the photos show it well, but the pods are longer and narrower:
glog-redhab-plant02-01.jpg

glog-redhab-plant02-02.jpg

Some 'nice' plants, Nice! 

I have grown the JA Red Habaneros for 5 or 6 seasons.
They usually have a variety of shapes,and sizes, some much
like your pics above. Usually the shape I prefer has a 'flat'
blossom end.

Our climate is not superb for growing chilis, especially hotties,
so that may have something to do with it.

Good luck going forward  :P

PaulG said:
Some 'nice' plants, Nice! 

I have grown the JA Red Habaneros for 5 or 6 seasons.
They usually have a variety of shapes,and sizes, some much
like your pics above. Usually the shape I prefer has a 'flat'
blossom end.

Our climate is not superb for growing chilis, especially hotties,
so that may have something to do with it.

Good luck going forward  :P

Thanks PaulG for the comments. As I was thinking too, and I have a third plant on the other balcony (no photos posted yet) which I think has pods exactly like you're describing. I'll get busy and look to post a photo of it.

Otherwise just one additional photo for today - this is a sample of the espelettes just starting to ripen:

glog-espelette-plant01-01.jpg

nice.chili said:

Thanks PaulG for the comments. As I was thinking too, and I have a third plant on the other balcony (no photos posted yet) which I think has pods exactly like you're describing. I'll get busy and look to post a photo of it.

I harvested some yesterday and today.
Will post photos of the Habs later this
afternoon/evening. About 15:30 here now.

Otherwise just one additional photo for today - this is a sample of the espelettes just starting to ripen:

Those look similar to Marconi Rosso. Are they a sweet variety?

PaulG said:
Those look similar to Marconi Rosso. Are they a sweet variety?

Hey Paul - they're just a little spicy, Wikipedia says a maximum of 4,000 SHU (sounds about right).

Espelettes are cultivated in the French commune of Espelette, Pyrénées-Atlantiques (think northern edge border with Spain). So every year here around September there are these strings of peppers available in the stores:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/69619-end-of-summer-in-france-piment-despelette-time/

They make a good fermented sauce. Message me if you'd like some seeds - I still have some from last year.

nice.chili said:

Hi Colin!

It looks like your growing season is going well!  Everything looks nice and healthy.  The Espelette plants I started from your seed have pods ripening, too!  How will you handle the pods as they ripen?  Will you add to a ristra and use as needed or dry when all the pods are picked, or simply dry immediately?  Everything I've read indicates they are picked, strung on a ristra and hung for a period of time, then dried and flaked or powdered.  The only question would be how long do they hang, and under what conditions.

At least a couple of the fresh ones will end up as dinner tonight, in a piperade topped with poached eggs with some crusty bread on the side.  And, maybe a spicy sausage or two.

Thank you, again, for the seed!

Back