• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Woozy caps that can take pressure canning?

Hi all,
I make a couple of hot sauces that have carrots in the ingredients, which you are supposed to pressure can.  I have 5oz Woozy bottles, and metal 28-400 continuous thread plastisol lined caps. I got these from Fillmore.
I don't believe these are rated for pressure canning. I know some plastisol caps are, but they usually will say so in the description.
I made 26 jars yesterday and did pressure can for 25 minutes at 13lbs (was aiming for 11 but couldn't get it any lower on my gas stove).
There is quite a bit of acid in these (1L of red wine vinegar, 750 ml of actual wine. The wine has a pH of about 3.2). Recipe is basically 3.5lbs various hot peppers, 4lbs tomato, 3/4 lb carrots, then some onion, garlic, salt, and sugar.

Anyone have a source for jars/caps that are rated for pressure canning? Or am I being overly cautious?

First photo is this batch in pressure canner. Second photo is a different batch I BWB'd.

Attachments

• 20190924_160510.jpg
    20190924_160510.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 20190912_215530.jpg
    20190912_215530.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 129
Hi GreenE~  :welcome: to THP.

Because you have vinegar in the sauce, most likely you do not need to pressure can.  How many 5oz woozy bottles did this batch make?

SL

26 jars, plus two more 250ml mason jars (ran out of woozies).
Normally I would not worry about pressure canning either due to the amount of vinegar, it's just the carrots that made me want to do it. I don't know if the same rules apply to blended carrots in a slurry as do to whole carrots.

If the pH is low enough that's not going to be an issue. As long as it was cooked/fermented in a way that adheres to a safe process.

Ive made some sauces with almost completely dried pods and dry ingredients like onion/garlic. Used straight vinegar with them. Dad loves it and it does just fine on the shelf. Sub 3.0pH im sure. Straight 5% acidity vinegar is around 2.4pH and i used 7% acidity vinegar. :P

Onions, garlic, chiles, and carrots are all high pH....they are not naturally low in pH. Carrots by themselves are not the only ' critical ingredient' . They are all high pH items. Not to worry, tons of sauces use all these ingredients. I'll do some math later to try and estimate vinegar percentage.

Anyone else, have at it! I gotta bid to do~~~~
SL

Back