• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Cold country, small balcony, grow accordingly 2020

Hello and a warning: this is going to be boring and small grow located in finland, mainly for keeping record.

This is my 4th or 5th season and 2nd in the same appartment. I have a small windowed balcony facing so, that in the summer sun hits it from ~12 to late evening between 18-22 if I remember correctly.

Last summer I had 2x aji fantasy, 2x harold st bart as main plants, then amashito wild and moruglah in a more shady spot. Results were nice for aji fantasies, got around 2kg overall from them and maybe 500+g from harolds. This year I'm not going to waste space with  chinenses, the conditions just aren't there.

This years grow will be:
2x Challuaruro
2x Jalapeno orange spice
1x aji fantasy x harold st bart (if seeds viable, own cross)
1x spanish giant.

I have a tent for germinating and getting to summer, 120x60x180 sized, so 2'x4'x6'. Seeds will hit the rockwool next week, will put out pics then. My growlight is solux twin 2x55 tubes, 6400k and around 10 000 lumens.
Basicly plan is, rockwool -> coco coir with maybe perlite/vermiculite, final pots will be pots with water reservoir below, acts kinda like passive hydro with coco. 

IMG_20200105_104734.jpg

That is my now 3yo starfish.

edit what is the best way to up pics? can I upload them to place X and embed link here?

Very nice Inoks, that 3rd year plant looks really good.
Sounds like you are pretty successful for growing so
far north. I am always impressed by what our
scandinavian brothers and sisters produce in those
less than perfect conditions.

Good luck going forward, Risto!

As for the pics, I used a photo hosting site before,
but just decided to sign up for the Extreme membership
so I can upload pics directly from my phone and computer.
A lot of folks here use Imgur or PhotoBucket, although
the latter has become expensive.

PaulG said:
As for the pics, I used a photo hosting site before,
but just decided to sign up for the Extreme membership
so I can upload pics directly from my phone and computer.
A lot of folks here use Imgur or PhotoBucket, although
the latter has become expensive.

Sorry to be out of subject here but does going extreme really allow you to post pics directly from our computer (no need for third party photo sharing crappy app/website)?? If so, might be going this way as I'm not a big fan of sharing my life with the whole world and I don't trust big brother much on privacy things neither!

Bou said:

Sorry to be out of subject here but does going extreme really allow you to post pics directly from our computer (no need for third party photo sharing crappy app/website)?? If so, might be going this way as I'm not a big fan of sharing my life with the whole world and I don't trust big brother much on privacy things neither!

Yes, though your resolution is somewhat throttled. Not enough to make a difference to me, but all the same...

Reactions: Bou
stettoman said:

Yes, though your resolution is somewhat throttled. Not enough to make a difference to me, but all the same...

Way to go then! Thanks Stettoman

Bou said:

Yes, from your phone, iPad, laptop or desktop!
Very easy to use.
stettoman said:

Not a problem to me, either.
This isn't art gallery photography!
And good original images make for
good forum pix!

Seeds hit the rockwool, the ill-looking sprouts are aji fantasy x harold st bart cross, which I planted couple of days ago, they dont look well.

From left to right, jalapeno orange spice, challuaruro, spanish giant, dalle khrusani, montufar.

Watered with a mild nutritients and put above heat mat and under light, because of fantasy x harolds.

T2a21QHl.jpg

bQ8S7iOl.jpg

It looks like your rockwool cubes are awfully
wet in that top pic.

I let mine drain out after watering to keep the
oxygen/water ratio correct last season and that
seemed to work out pretty well.

:cheers:  this season - hope you do the Finnish
nation proud!

I tend to keep them awfully wet until germination, you think Thats not optimal? Should take those already sprouted ones to another container

Inoks said:
I tend to keep them awfully wet until germination, you think Thats not optimal? Should take those already sprouted ones to another container

Rockwool is pretty forgiving. If your system has
worked for you I wouldn’t worry too much. I just
always tend to like the medium closer to moist
than wet.

PaulG said:
Rockwool is pretty forgiving. If your system has
worked for you I wouldn’t worry too much. I just
always tend to like the medium closer to moist
than wet.
I do too, expect for rockwool I have never worried, soak them and forget for 3-5 days and check the situation.

Hooks poppin' last night atleast in jalapeno orange Spice had many, challuaruro and dalle had some. Others still waiting. Hopefully spanish Giants arent a dud, expecting them to germinate easy

I am going try to grow the Orange Spice Jalapeño
this season as well. Will be keeping an eye on yours!

I have not heard of the Spanish Giant. What’s the
story behind that one?

Good luck going forward...

PaulG said:
I am going try to grow the Orange Spice Jalapeño
this season as well. Will be keeping an eye on yours!

I have not heard of the Spanish Giant. What’s the
story behind that one?

Good luck going forward...
Dont know if theres a story, fiance spotted IT from fataliseeds and instantly wanted it. They just dont seem to germinate.
https://www.fataliiseeds.net/product/spanish-giant/

Good luck to you too, will watch toi in envy. Hoping to get enough Harvest to Make a ferment nmted sauce

Inoks said:
Dont know if theres a story, fiance spotted IT from fataliseeds and instantly wanted it. They just dont seem to germinate.
https://www.fataliiseeds.net/product/spanish-giant/

Good luck to you too, will watch toi in envy. Hoping to get enough Harvest to Make a ferment nmted sauce
Those look just like the Big Bertha peppers I just recently planted.

https://www.seedsnsuch.com/product/big-bertha-hybrid/

Also similar to the Colossal Hybrids I grow every year.(except last year because of moving).

Wow! Stuff one of those with some ground lamb and rice! 
Smothered with a nice roasted red pepper sauce

Back