• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

1988 5.0 Mustang LX question

Anyone very familiar can hopefully help me. I know this car is speed density so the computer cant adjust for much (from what I understand). If I want to do 1 5/8" equal length long tube headers, x-pipe and a proper cat-back, can the computer deal with that? The cam and intake will be stock still as will be the throttle body. The only other thing I might do is remove any sharp edges or mismatch from where the throttle body meets the intake manifold or any mismatch between the upper and lower intake manifold.

I basically want to make the car as fast and responsive as possible with as little mods so I dont want to bother converting to mass air. Can a car like this hit mid 13's on street rubber if its a well running car?

Without knowing anything i would say that an 88 models pooter would be too stupid but thats just a guess! :D

Yes the computer should adjust - ask your speed shop to be sure. if you have the money buy the super chip. I would do the cat back (Flowmasters?) and a cold air intake (K&N) to start the car breathing right then a chip then if that wasnt enough... headers.... cam... etc... With cat back the car will be plenty loud especially for an weekend hell raiser or everyday.

My .02

The car should be fine without tuning it with just exhaust on it. As for it hitting a mid 13 with just those mods I dont think it will run that fast.

sorry didnt read the 13's part -- wont happen stock maybe low 14's with stuff I mentioned plus decent sized tires

mas air no prob.Now if your gonna change injectors to a different lph then you have a prob.
Yes 13 are supper easy to achieve.if you have a notch back yeah.My girlfriend has my old 5.0 and it runs 13s and it mostly stock.
Since you said you want long tube headers means you have a stick right? Go and by some 4.10 gears and bang those gears.

I basically want to make the car as fast and responsive as possible with as little mods so I dont want to bother converting to mass air. Can a car like this hit mid 13's on street rubber if its a well running car?

Easily handled on street rubber, just make sure you got quality "street" rubber.

Dont worry about the computer, I read an article about an '88 5.0 that ran 10's and still had stock computer so if it can handle all the changes that guy made you should be fine.
It shouldnt take much to get that thing into the high 13's I believe they run in the 14's with little to no mods, I would do the headers/exhaust that you already are planning to do plus add that k&n cold air intake that Lucky suggested, then the next thing I would look at would be getting an aftermarket intake manifold like an Edlebrock performer 5.0 and a matched 65mm throttle body and some upgraded injectors, then if you still wanna keep going look into new cam etc.

Thanks everyone for the replies :) I'm very excited now about the prospect of my project car to be. I'm going this saturday to look at two which look very promising so I might be coming home with one :)

Back