• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling 1st try at Pickled Peppers

Well I did my 1st try at pickling peppers today.Wanted to try it 1st before the upcoming growning season as not to mess up any of my (hopefully) future Chile's.So I went to the local market got some peppers and gave it a try.I used vinegar,water,dill weed
pickling spices,pickling salt and garlic.The only hot peppers the market had were Hungarian Hot Wax,Jalapeno and Hot Finger Peppers.I wanted to wait a day or 2 after I capped them off
but couldnt resist and had a Finger Hot,Wow I was suprised was really really good.Tried a Jalapeno a lil later too:lol:
But good to know that the recipe I had in mind WORKED :lol:
I can post it here if anyone wants :)only downside is I now
know I can fit more peppers into the jar and the garlic turns a bit blue lol
Tom

12.jpg

Thanks
yep I did cut the very top and very bottom off of each pepper and put 1 slit on the side of each pepper to let them soak up all the good juices they wont make a good gift cause I will consume them all lol

They look really tasty, I wonder why the garlic turned blue. I'd love to see the recipe since I am also planning on pickling peppers this year and have never tried doing anything like that before. I also like the idea of testing on market peppers instead of the precious home grown ones. Great idea...

Just tried another of the hot finger right now.Even better today than yesterday. recipe is basically this

put into jar peppers (whatever kind you want)
2 teaspoons pickling salt 3 cloves of garlic
and 5 or 6 sprigs of dill weed
cut the very top and very bottom
off each pepper and put 1 slit into the
side of them

in a pot put
2 cups White vinegar 1 cup water

in a cheese cloth put
2 tablespoons pickling spices 1 garlic clove
and 3 or 4 sprigs of dill weed
tie the cheese cloth up tight so none of the spices
can escape

put cheese cloth bundle into the pot
bring to a boil then discard the cloth
pour it into the jar add very hot water
to jar if needed to fill jar
seal let sit 5 or 6 hours

thats it recipe is for 1 jar
i like it so much that
i plan on doing some more this weekend :lol:

I admire the initiative!

With all due respect though, peppers are not cucumbers. I do not find that dill goes well with peppers.

I use garlic, onion, peppercorns, white wine, vinegar, carrot slices, and salt.

Just make sure to refridgerate!!!! They are not "canned" unless you sterilized them in a pressure cooker.

Believe it or not botulism and other nasties will invade if not refridgerated. *do not get chilehunter started on this subject!*

They look great! I believe alum is supposed to keep them crisper, but I have never used it.

Opps good point cheesy I DID forgot to mention to place in fridge after they sit and cool down my bad thanks

i also agree with the dill thing but I love dill pickles
and the taste and smell of dill adding the dill is optional
all the recipes i searched for pickled peppers had no dill
its just a preference of mine im sure no dill in this recipe
would work also
and today after almost 24 hrs they are still crunchy
but thanks for pointing out the refriderator blunder

Lol, no problem! I would hate for any creative chili lover to get sick and give up the cause.

So you did cook them? You stated "after they cool down".

It does, and I am no expert, but that might exempt you from refridgeration.

I have always just tossed peppers in vinegar with other ingredients and stuck it in the fridge.

OOOOOH! How could I forget! My pride and joy did have some cooking of sorts.

At the end of the growing season last year, I still had a decent # of unripe habs on my plant. I took the green ones and smoked them in the grill. I packed a big jar 3/4 full with ripe orange habs, and then I just packed the green (now blackish) ones into the remaining space.

I filled this full with white vinegar, shook out all of the bubbles, more vinegar, etc.

It is now incredible. I eat the orange ones, and they have absorbed a wonderful smokiness. I will do this every year!(except that I will put the green/smoky ones in first, I have to squish through them to get to the orange ones)

hmmmm I just may have to try your method this fall. sounds good.
as for the refridgeration I still do that anyway I like my pickled peppers cold (dont know why i just do) :lol:

:shocked: Now I've got 2 recipes to try...Thanks guys, they both sound great. Unfortunately, I just got home from the market and the only peppers they had where jalapeno and Hungarians. Both seemed soft and old:( I'm going to have to wait...

HotPeppersFlyFishing said:
You know Kroegers has a decent selection of chile's but
gotta pay thru the nose :lol:

I wish we had a Krogers:( All we have is Giant Eagle, Buehler's and Walmart. I might have to take a road trip to Cleveland (about 1 1/2 north) and go to the huge Italian market. Heard they have some great produce.

Italian markets or great.we have 3 or 4 by me all within 10 minutes plus there is an open air market(seasonal) about 30 minutes away that has great prices and big selections but,
still not as fun as growing your own:)

cheezydemon said:
*do not get chilehunter started on this subject!*

dont worry, it seems like you have it all under control here with your ramblings :P dont forget about other members that ramble on about other subjects ;)

but maybe you mean I should shorten my posts to accommodate your short attention span :P & pad my post numbers instead of just putting stuff in 1 post when it can be done.

HPFF - yep garlic turns a funky blueish color, kinda moldy looking but its not moldy & is safe to eat, as long as you can correctly.

ok an update this is more of a cant trust fruit markets response
tried another finger hot tonight was good expected the heat
then tried a hot wax wasnt too bad (now dont get me wrong i like heat and the pickling flavor i enjoy) then tried my 2nd jalapeno of the batch (1st 1 was mild with some heat) well
i deseeded it (which I do depending on my taste for that day some days hot some days less) chomped down within 20 seconds
bam mouth on fire wasnt expecting it hottest m*@%*r f*&#*&G
jalapeno I ever had so basically what i am trying to get across is it will be nice when hopefully all my plants fruit is to know the heat and what to expect from each plant and not get all kinds of suprises from a fruit market :lol::lol:wouldnt be a good start for someone who wanted to try jala's for the 1st time get 1 weak 1 then get the mouth of fire lol i was going to let g/f try a jala from this batch based on the 1st jala man glad i checked i wouldnt have had some cahones left if she bit into the 2nd one lol

Back