• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling 1st try at Pickled Peppers

some of my home grown jalapenos did that to me last year...and they were off the same plant...most were regular Japs, but some tasted hot as a cayenne...

Use pickling salt and your garlic shouldn't go blue. I too am a believer in proper sterilization and canning procedures. Refridgerating in vinegar may work for short term but why not sterilize your jars and hot bath them, its simpe to do.
I also soak mine in a brine over night to crisp them up before pickling.

Thats some nice looking chillies already to crunch! I do basic the same thing except mix 50 to 50 water and apple cider vinager and add a smidge of olive oil to jars. Olive oil ? mmmmmmmm wonder why and its not for the taste lol

Potawie
I did use pickling salt and they still turned blue :lol:
maybe i didnt use enough. and I used hot water to clean the jars 1st then poured the boiling vinegar mixture into the jars over the peppers and nearly darn burned myself:lol:

HPFF, Why do you have to throw out the pickling spice and use a cheese cloth? I know absolute nothing when it comes to canning, but can't you just dissolve the pickling spices in with the vinegar?

well
i used the cheese cloth to put the spices in the vinegar
and heat til boiling then discard them because i dont
like all the spices floating in the jar but you could add them if ya want
you can also put the spices in a tea baller as well
I also regret to say I will not be pickling as much as
i was planning on doing or growing as many plants as I
started out with because as of tomorrow
I GOT MY PUPPY!! :)

Back