• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering 1st Year Overwintering

Hello All.

I have a few questions about lighting. I have a 8X6 Greenhouse in the back of my garage that I'm getting ready for my pepper plants for a winter home. It's my first year overwintering and because alot of my plants are so late in production I would like to keep em growing so they can reach full potential, have fresh chiles in the winter, and huge plants next year :D

Anyway.. I didn't wanna spend a shit ton of money on 100dollar bulbs so I bought 8 48in growlights that I have hanging in 4 reflective shop light fixtures.. I'll have a couple fans goin in the greenhouse and the garage will be isolated from the cold.. I was wondering if that will be enough light? and should I be putting any reflective material in the greenhouse on top of that?

Thanks for your time!
Brandon

Hello All.

I have a few questions about lighting. I have a 8X6 Greenhouse in the back of my garage that I'm getting ready for my pepper plants for a winter home. It's my first year overwintering and because alot of my plants are so late in production I would like to keep em growing so they can reach full potential, have fresh chiles in the winter, and huge plants next year :D

Anyway.. I didn't wanna spend a shit ton of money on 100dollar bulbs so I bought 8 48in growlights that I have hanging in 4 reflective shop light fixtures.. I'll have a couple fans goin in the greenhouse and the garage will be isolated from the cold.. I was wondering if that will be enough light? and should I be putting any reflective material in the greenhouse on top of that?

Thanks for your time!
Brandon

sorry i can't answer your question but i to was going to start a similar thread as it is my first time to so will be watching this post very closely.
the grow lights you got are they just warm and cool flouresent tubes or are they actual growlight tubes.

sorry i can't answer your question but i to was going to start a similar thread as it is my first time to so will be watching this post very closely.
the grow lights you got are they just warm and cool flouresent tubes or are they actual growlight tubes.

No worries, you actually helped me out a bit, for the best answers I should be specific.. If nobody posts on here I might try to sneak this topic in growing hot peppers, I always get alot more responses on that forum lol.
The lights I'm using...
http://genet.gelighting.com/LightProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=COMMERCIALSPECPAGE&PRODUCTCODE=49893

I need a total of 8. I've purchased 4 so far.. I've read T8's work better? and they're cheaper?
I'm good at growin.. All this lighting BS has me out of my comfort zone.. :beer:

Hello All.

Thanks for your time!
Brandon

Hey Brandon,

Your shop lights should be great for overwintering. They just have to provide enough light for them to stay alive (not even reproduce) over the winter. They even have potential as a heat source in a cold garage. I hope they do well for you.

Hey Brandon,

Your shop lights should be great for overwintering. They just have to provide enough light for them to stay alive (not even reproduce) over the winter. They even have potential as a heat source in a cold garage. I hope they do well for you.

Thanks Jack. I'm hoping so. I'm gonna cover the greenhouse with frost cloth as well. I'm contemplating buying a heating blanket to cover the bottom of my GH when the lights are off so the heat doesn't go to low. Thanks for the reply man. I appreciate it. Hope all is well for you
Brandon

I had my overwinters in my basement last year with T-12s set for 8 hours a day. To my surprise, there were a few pods on the plants when I pulled them out for hardening up. From what I have read, if they get more light and more frequent watering than I did (about once every two to three weeks), they will produce throughout the winter. My goal was to just keep them alive through the winter, but if you want year-round production, it can be done.

Back