• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2010 Grow Log

I've needed to get this going so here goes. The following list was started Jan. 25. It is my first time trying hydro. Got it pieced together just in time to get my chinense varieties started. It's an ebb and flow setup in nursery trays placed end to end with heat mat, under 40w flouros which I later added a six position bath bar with cfl's to the wall behind my plants in the grow area which is 5' tall 6' wide and 2' deep. If my lumen math is correct for adult plants (3000 lpsf) would be 180,000 lumen s total and @ 2000 lpsf I would need 120,000 lumen s. That is seven more of the twenty dollar 6 pos bath bars. Two on the ceiling and 5 more on the wall. That is just insane which is sad because I think my wife already thinks I'm there. My kids thoroughly enjoy it! Not sure what I will do (lighting wise) for the two or three adult plants that I would like in there year round. I think I was just planning to start seeds this way and pot up once or twice in the hydro setting and then change to a soil medium and hopefully warmer outside temps.

Germ rates:
Red 7 Pot asiagardens/ ebay coco 7/9 8-10 days
Fatalii 2009 saved seeds coco 6/9 9-12 days
Trinidad scorpion THSC coco 1/9 13 days
Bonda ma Jacques THSC pro-mix 0/9
Yellow Bhut Jolokia asiagardens pro-mix 5/9 8-12 days
Peruvian White hab The Chiliman pro-mix 0/9
Burkina Y. scotch B. The Chiliman coco 5/6 8-12 days
Orange hab 2004 saved seeds pro-mix/coco 4/6 11-15
Grenada Seasoning 2004 seeds pro-mix 1/3 14 days
Chocolate hab 2007 seeds pro-mix 0/6
Red hab 2009 saved seeds pro-mix 3/3 10-12 days
SkyDiver* free seeds assortment pro-mix/coco 11/12 7-10 days

* Seeds from forum member "Skydiver" grab bag assortment: Chocolate hab, Bhut Jolokia, Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow Scotch B.
Red Devil's Tongue and Orange hab

I have resown 4 seeds each on 2/11/10.

Bonda ma Jacques THSC coco
Trinidad Scorpion THSC coco
Peru. W. hab TheChiliman coco

I will be sowing baccutums and annums in the weeks to follow.

I have images in photobucket but they seem to have changed something as I can't copy and paste links now.

Thanks SS, I shall do that today. Hopefully there's a couple more in there than those visable in the photo.

Cheers Mike

I don't know how small those pods are but you may want to cover them again once they begin to ripen. I lost 4 of the 5 Florida Bird Pepper pods I isolated last season to birds. The 4 ripened around the same time and I said let me give them another day just to make sure. Needless to say I was surprised to see them all missing the following day. Those pods look larger though so maybe you will be fine.

Thanks jolokia_jas, The dream of acreage is always there...Someday.

Josh thanks for the warning. I have battled the birds with my Bailey Pequin's before. I totally wrapped the plant in sun screen and birds were getting in and but not getting out. Oddly enough we have 4 tiny (marble) cherry tomato plants that are loaded and the birds have hardly noticed. Maybe the swarm is on it's way! Or they don't like the taste. Their great in salads I think. Yes I believe if I get any wild peppers out this summer I will need protection.

Regards
Mike

Hardening off some late arrivals.

Fathersdaypeppers005.jpg

Aji Red pods
Fathersdaypeppers012.jpg

Bishop's Crown
Fathersdaypeppers001.jpg

Some early ripening pods
Pusa Jwala in 95 degree heat for two weeks.
LateJunepods009.jpg

7 Pot/Pod rare sun scald variety. Did not move it in time
LateJunepods013.jpg

Cumari do para
LateJunepods010.jpg

Texas Black ornamental just about to turn red. The foliage is not as dark (suntan) as others I have
LateJunepods011.jpg

nice plants! may i know whats your seed starting medium and what is your average temperature over there? the aji orchid looks interesting.

Thanks everyone!

How does that Pusa Jwala taste?
Is the Jamaican Gold a type of Scotch Bonnet?

Silver Surfer, It has a great taste with a nice little sting on the tongue and front of the mouth. It goes away pretty quick and leaves a nice afterglow of warmth. The skin was a bit tough but they should cook or dry well. I am looking forward to making powder with it. It's been years since I have made any. I have heard the Jamaican called a scotch bonnet but being an annuum I think "squash type" would be more accurate. I grew it from 6 year old seeds. I remember it being fairly hot and loaded with seeds in a ball.

Skydiver, No worries about the sun scald pod there are plenty more. Your mystery seeds are just now starting to reveal themselves. Here is a red devil's tongue I believe.
LateJunepods2010.jpg

siling labuyo, I used coco fiber and pro-mix separately early in my season and later combined them. Because of availability I am now mixing the coco with sunshine grow mix. I grew the Orchid about 6 years ago. It is a very mild and sweet pepper. There are many other named versions of it as well. It ripens to a reddish orange color. The July and August average high temps are 34-36C. Here is another pod from a plant in the ground.
LateJunepods2009.jpg

Thanks Bleash, I am attempting to grow several South Americans this season many of which got a late start. I would love to grow any of the murupi's next season if I can find them.

Thanks again all.

Mike

siling labuyo, I used coco fiber and pro-mix separately early in my season and later combined them. Because of availability I am now mixing the coco with sunshine grow mix. I grew the Orchid about 6 years ago. It is a very mild and sweet pepper. There are many other named versions of it as well. It ripens to a reddish orange color. The July and August average high temps are 34-36C. Here is another pod from a plant in the ground.

too bad we don't have pro-mix available here. i just use what potting medium is available locally but i don't get leaves as big as yours. we do have the same temp here from march-may. is the orchid same with the brazilian starfish?

nice peppers especially the devil's tongue you got there. :)

Thanks siling, The starfish is more of a "ufo or squash" shape and hot. The orchid has drooping lobes and very mild.

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=orchid&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&submit=Search

Good day

A few interesting pics today;
Agnetto Gold (narrow) I believe, seeds from smokemaster
Mariahs10thbirthday006.jpg

Couple of ripe Red Devil's Tongue. I believe Neil did a video test of one of these which had really good heat but not that great of flavor. He got them from Skydiver as did I.
Mariahs10thbirthday014.jpg

Aji Norteno pod, seeds also from smokemaster
Mariahs10thbirthday010.jpg

Nearly ripe Fatallii pod
Mariahs10thbirthday009.jpg

A few more pics coming...

Texas Black ripe pod
Mariahs10thbirthday011.jpg

Guardian of the Flash, probably eating all my volunteer predator bugs!
Mariahs10thbirthday012.jpg

Yellow Bhut Jolokia plant
LateJunepods2002.jpg

Unripe Cowhorn pods
LateJunepods2012.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Guardian of the Flash, probably eating all my volunteer predator bugs!
Mariahs10thbirthday012.jpg

nice guardian you got there.

i have a question, i also have a similar plant like this, some site call it trifetti, others tri-color varigate, another one calls it fluorescent purple, another calls it purple flash. are they all referring to the same plant? they all seem to match the description of the plant that growing right now.

Back