2010 smackdown

You received seeds from that plant. Not those pods though. I kept the isolated ones out of the main harvest pile so I wouldn't mix them up. I don't remember exactly, but I believe the seeds came from a pod that looked like the top one in the pic above. Some pods had more pronounced tails than others.

I guess I am using your first year's Scorpions then right AJ? I have seeds from the pods you sent me in '08. I don't care if they have tails or not (well I hope they do) as long as they are healthy and productive.

I've found that the T. scorpion-Butch T that I grow quite often doesn't have tails and the ones with tails/stingers are usually caused by flowers holding on to the pod constricting early growth. I have pics somewhere that demonstrate this but I'm having trouble locating them. They also have the most amazing color change when they begin to ripen.

Here's some pics from the Potawie archives
2735911907_52e4f18d1c.jpg

3687361503_db34b12873.jpg

JayT...yup...2008 was the first year I grew the scorpions so, you are correct. With that said, this year (2010) will be my third year...

great pics as usual Potawie...the color change is incredible

POTAWIE said:
I've found that the T. scorpion-Butch T that I grow quite often doesn't have tails and the ones with tails/stingers are usually caused by flowers holding on to the pod constricting early growth. I have pics somewhere that demonstrate this but I'm having trouble locating them. They also have the most amazing color change when they begin to ripen.

So if your hypothesis is correct, then theoretically, the tail/stinger feature could be 'tailor-made' into a pod?

I swear I had some better pics to illustrate the flower constriction on the Butch T, but this is the best I could find. See how 2, maybe 3 pods still have flower parts attached
2725507910_226df43f4e.jpg

Will definitely try experimenting with some of the pods this summer, Novacastrian... maybe even with other types of pods(opens a whole world of posibilities! a Scorpion Tailed Rocoto!:lol: )

I've had several other pod types with the occasional tail, and most of the time it appears to be the result of the flower holding on. Other Scorpion varieties seem to have a more natural tail/stinger, but the ButchT seems to have the hottest and coolest looking pods in my opinion
Here's a cool tailed fatalii which had a flower holding on
4308261557_57a4f4e2f8.jpg

dang Nova, you are quick...bwahahahaha

So, as far as I can tell, the rules are as follows

Grow a Scorpion, photograph its growth, submit a final picture in November? ¿Que no?

Mjdtexan said:
So, as far as I can tell, the rules are as follows

Grow a Scorpion, photograph its growth, submit a final picture in November? ¿Que no?

correct. it's a non-competition TS apreciation grow event :]

Back