• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2016 plant out dates

Hey when's everyone going to plant out? (and where are u)?

It has been warmer than average ya know so some people might go for early start?

I put some in the ground in early march here in Dallas. Yeah the peppers got hailed on twice and spent a few nights in the 30s but they still alive.

I got a really late start, I've been taking my seedlings out everyday for real sun. I could plant out now if they were bigger. My night temps have been averaging 46-55 for a few weeks now. Spose to be 85F tomorrow

I'm in Sonoma, California.

Charlotte, NC
Planning on April 10 for the first 100 or so & the rest April 17. Total of about 200. I need to count.
Last frost date is usually about April 1. I spot a low of 32 on Saturday but after that, smooth sailing.

I'm pretty far from you guys on the Aegean coast of Turkey. It's Mediterranean climate here which would be like Northern California coast in the US. We're expecting an average of 78F daytime for a week, to be followed by warmer weather so I plan to take my plants out soon when I have time. I've been hardening them off this past week. Night temps are supposed to be around 53F.

Here in se pa, last frost date suppose to be 4/22. Temp swings for last two weeks has gone from upper 70's to 26 last night and it's flurring this morning. I'll wait till constant 50 at night. Some earlies have been in and out of cold frame but they came in last night just in case. Pulled winter mulch off of plots so it could start drying before till. Strange last three weeks, wish she'd make up her mind already.

Last year I gambled on May 4.  Mid May is usually pretty safe.  I'll be keeping an eye on the 5 and 10 day guesses. 

Edit: typo

Last almost never frost after Mid May.  May 1st is the you have a good chance of avoiding it date.  Thing is, out of no where there is a chance of snow this week.  Thinking i am going for Mid May.

I was thinking next week potting to 5 gallon buckets. I just got my first clone potted up to a double cup :party: !!! I topped one of my other plants and just stuck it in a germinating cell and watered it and up it grew was soo amazing to me!! I can get all but the two that I cupped yesterday out to buckets and I might try a late start on a chocolate Bhutlah but undecided as yet on that. I am in south Texas so there is almost no chance of any cold weather from here on out until September or later normally.

I'm in Calgary Alberta. I don't usually plant anything until mid to late May. It has been nice enough lately that my plants are spending time outdoors but our nights are still chilly so nothing gets planted yet.

Mississauga Ontario.....I usually start hardening off in May bringing my plants in and out watching the temps carefully.....hopefully in the ground by the may 24 long weekend.....depending on the long range forecast sometimes I can get them in the ground a week or so early.....but I have been burned before by jumping the gun to quickly.

Grass Snake said:
I put some in the ground in early march here in Dallas. Yeah the peppers got hailed on twice and spent a few nights in the 30s but they still alive.
had the same problem here. starting to look a lot better now

Nothing planted till after Mothers Day. Even then its risky for peps. But I got a late start so I'm not in a hurry, I'll just cart them out on nice days and stick em in the garage at night.
Madison, WI

I was fully planted out around March 3rd.  Planted some stuff on the 1st and the rest on the 3rd.  Only had one night where we got frost, but I got everything covered up best I could and only got a little damage on some leaf's, but everything is coming along nicely.  Reapers are throwing another set of pods right now after my over winter pods.

I thought it was going to be safe to plant out next week. But, like a lot of other people have mentioned so far, there have been wild fluctuations in temperatures the last few weeks. Has gone from mid 60s down to 23°f this morning.

Looks like I'm not gonna feel good about planting out until sometime end of April or 1st week of May. That's the plan anyways.

I've got a friend that is trying to convince me that I need to move to Dallas or San Antonio TX since it's a much more conducive pepper environment. I'm thinking about it ;)

I moved my plants outside a week ago, and I got a freeze last night.   Last frost date was two days ago.    Sometimes you take chances and nature reminds you who is boss. 

I'm going to start hardening off next week or the week after, then plant out last week of April or first week of May. I need to get my drip system laid back out soon and see if I need to order any parts.

Back