• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

2022 Outside-In

Rain day!
Excited to see one of the CP-203 hooking.. So far, just the one.

Does it seem like the tomatoes are trying to get away from the light? Maybe I shouldn't have them as close as I have the peppers? They are leaning away, not towards the element.
20220525_151027.jpg

Almost done with setup on the plot. From the looks of it, we can establish a perennial garden.. So many options.
Of course, we ended up with the one that has field thistles.. They must know me.
20220530_201328.jpg
20220530_201318.jpg

Some of the last batch of peppers look a little funky.. The White hab from JLH died early the last time I grew it, and the seedlings of this one all seem a little odd. Starting to feel like maybe I should have isolated them from the get-go. Could it just be the light being so close? These ones started out elevated on the other flat, whereas the others started out on the shelf base and weren't lifted until they showed the third or fourth real leaf.
20220531_151807.jpg
20220531_151922.jpg

I believe it is 10' x 20' (half plot), but it ends up being smaller with the fencing. Originally I was to get two half-plots but then they refunded me for one.

Most of the people there are from the neighborhood.. I'd love if we had something closer. I get the impression it's becoming the neighborhood berry patch. You see the one 20 x 20 there in Strawberries, there's another just like it, and a full plot of Rubus too. 10-20$/year for a rabbit-free berry patch isn't too bad.. 🤔

Speaking of Rubus, looks like some of the investment in our seed bank here is starting to accrue interest.. A couple of R. idaeus popped up along the fence this year. I should probably get a 'circle of protection' around them, but I'm curious to see if the rabbits will like them as much as they like the Black raspberry, or if they leave it alone. Love the primocanes on these!

20220601_203318.jpg

Some days it feels like I just may be transplanting peppers all summer. Did a quick count yesterday and still have well over a hundred to go. Gotta love pint cups.
20220703_100210.jpg

We vacated our other plot, in exchange for a little better location and a lot more room. This is the second of two plots we are taking over now.. Chock full of perennial field thistle, so fun times are ahead! This will likely be our native perennials bed, but we are going to excavate this thistle first.
20220703_130758.jpg

Lots of nasty garbage at this garden, probably due to the high volume of city compost being employed. So, we've been pretty busy and there's no end in sight.. Thought I'd drop a few pictures on here in between the raindrops.. So much for mowing before the showers.

Here's one of my nursery purchases.. Midnight Snack Hybrid, just starting to ripen a couple of trusses.

20220703_100302.jpg

Rat Tails coming along.. I'm really debating splitting these up as I wasn't expected them all to germinate. Anyone else grow these? I feel like maybe 4 is pushing it in a 3 gallon.. 8 seems a little much. Insights?
20220701_185322.jpg

Great to hear about the new plot with more space. It may be more work, but more opportunities too.

How is the new location better? Better sun? Neighbors? Closer to where you park?
Well, it's 20'x20', excluding the pathway.. The garden is bigger overall and in a more natural setting, instead of in the middle of a neighborhood. Our plots benefit from full sun most of the day and shade in the late afternoon. It's in the flood zone, so spring is a little wet, but I think we will have less watering to do in the long run.

I understand there is some tomato blight, but overall just a better feeling at this place. Communication has been good and the diversity in people seems a lot less contrived.. Or 'filtered', if you will.

Noticed yesterday that our pepper/tomato plot is in the shade by 3pm.. Might have to use the other plot next year for those.
Other than a little rabbit damage, things seem to be going well. I was really excited about this Filius Blue hybrid I have, until the pod color came along.. I'm hoping it'll color to the purple, but usually they start out that way.
20220730_175248.jpg
20220725_181849.jpg

20220730_175154.jpg
20220730_175413.jpg

Sedona Sun are starting to look sweet.
20220803_120116.jpg

Not sure where this Hybrid Filius Blue is headed, but I like what I'm seeing..

20220803_114120.jpg

Then there's all these cool hybrids I scored from Adam..
BlackNaga x PeriPeri Brown, around a year old now..
20220803_115520.jpg

These are from MustardGum NagaBrain seeds.. The darker-podded one ripened to orange last year, the other didn't produce any pods last year.. But maybe it is true?
20220803_115404.jpg

I was going to post more, but they seem to be taking forever to upload.. And I've run out of time for it. Maybe later.

Symptoms of old age creeping in.. I know better than to use fiberglass screen, because it tears so easy, yet here I went and got a whole roll of it and started trying to stitch it with 20lb test. Oh well.. Duct it! Somehow I imagined this one being less work than making a screen box.. The nice thing is I can take it all apart and only lose the tape in the redo. Works for now. Definitely going to need some work if it's to become the beetle enclosure I'd like it to be.. Or maybe I'll just make a screened box.
20220804_171404.jpg

At least a little better than this..
20220803_170528.jpg

Probably going to try one with just tape seams, like someone else posted on here. I have plans to build a multi-plant isolation chamber, just not sure it's going to happen this season.

At least of couple pods have set in isolation so far.. I pulled them indoors for a couple days, so they missed the storms. The heat has dropped off for the week, hopefully I'm able to get most of the varieties I'd like done. Nights are dropping down into the 50's now, this year just doesn't make up it's mind.
The Filius Blue X is looking more interesting with each passing day. I noticed one mine that hasn't been transplanted also has the same flower pattern.. Might have two of them. Hard to pick it up on the camera, but it's a deep chocolate color they are getting to them, that started on the sun side, but also creeps to the underside too. Two of these pods are almost completely brown now. I grew these next to Pretty-n-Sweet most of the season, somehow I doubt that's the cross. I hope they taste half as good as this plant looks!

20220809_131151.jpg

Harvested my first SugarCane today, and it is also crossed.. I'm guessing with the Amish Hot Finger, given the wonderful heat it had. Not complaining, but I don't have high hopes of the rest of them being true now. I think I've got the tags issues figured out now.. Instead of relying solely on them (because the birds steal them too), I've started engraving the sides of the pots with the names. Lets see that get washed or carried off!
Oddly enough, the hot weather didn't really stop DeSorta from setting pods, and she seems to really be enjoying the cooler temps this week has brought.

20220809_130215.jpg

Unfortunately, DeSeda finally gave up.. I think. She's up in the greenroom now, but I don't have much hope for her. She was never a very healthy plant.. Probably for the best. :cry:
On the other side of Pubescens, Here's one of the Aji Largo from seeds @Crazy Monkey hooked me up with this year.
20220803_115319.jpg

Peach Caterpillar opened her first flower yesterday.. Looking pretty dapper for a 10 year old seed.
20220809_164709.jpg
20220809_164747.jpg

Fatalii White is looking to produce well this second season. These tough plants have earned my respect!! Shout out to @Jeffcontonio , for these and the train he put them on!
20220810_104333.jpg
20220809_182501.jpg

Pink Habanero also starting to ripen some pods, another carry over.. So far the sweetest of the heatless/mild Chinense I've had. I originally obtained them thru Jukka's store.
20220808_161843.jpg
20220808_161851.jpg

Chocolate Hab S2 and White Hab S2.. Just starting to flower and put on pods. Chocolate is a carry over from last season. Both strains from JLH originally. The first time I grew the White it was in a small pot and didn't look anything like this.. It also had deciduous pods, but I got the impression it was diseased. These have all looked healthy, and I'm using the seed from the one that died.. Because DECIDUOUS! (maybe) I've still got a few others of the White still in the 3.5 squares I will likely get to potting up today.
The carryovers from late starts are definitely a little stunted, especially some of the Annuum, but I guess that is something I'm going to have to live with if I want to try and grow some of these to a productive harvest.
20220810_151723.jpg
20220810_151927.jpg

Speaking of a productive harvest.. The largest of the Bird Aji is looking to do just that. Seems like this one flowers in twos. I've been keeping her inside for now. The others are starting to flower too, but not as far along as this one. The other two Baccatum v. baccatum (CP-203) are starting to bud up, but none have flowered yet.. Little teasers.
20220812_222015.jpg
20220812_222243.jpg

Things are progressing with the isolations..
Bird Aji Baccatum is setting pods nicely indoors, with help from psuedobee.. Aji Challeano is also setting nicely under the net. Peruvian Red Aji, Xochiteco, and Uvalde Ann have yet to make any headway. There is one set on the Peruvian Red, but it is yellowing and I feel it will drop off in the next day or so.. I'm not greedy, just want one!

I notice the Baccatum v. baccatum wilds are very similar in flowering to the Bird Aji, and I think CaneDog's donation to my addiction should be flowering today.. If it sets like the other Bird, I should be set. Really glad I picked this one to isolate, because it dwarfs the others and seems to be doing just fine indoors, with almost 2 full tiers of isolation and another one well on the way.
I'll admit, I'm a little torn on keeping her in now and putting her back outside.. Thoughts?
20220818_085105.jpg

@Indiana_Jesse , I notice you are pretty fond of the arthropods too.. Wondering if you happen to know this bee? She only had eyes for the sunflower pictured, and I found her the next day, sleeping on this one you see her evaluating (she was actually scoping a couple beetles, maybe deciding if they were a threat or not) here. Her colors were almost identical to the flower petals. Not sure if her wing being a little damaged was what caused it, but her buzz was louder than the other many bees that were buzzing around the flowers.. It was very distinct and about as loud as our biggest Bumblers, even though she was not quite the size for it.. Maybe and inch+ long and half as wide. Before this shot she did a flyby of the flowers and then came back around and landed here to watch the beetles. I didn't stay to watch it play out because she was aware of me too, and I didn't want to discourage her.
20220814_141648.jpg
20220814_141659.jpg

Things are progressing with the isolations..
Bird Aji Baccatum is setting pods nicely indoors, with help from psuedobee.. Aji Challeano is also setting nicely under the net. Peruvian Red Aji, Xochiteco, and Uvalde Ann have yet to make any headway. There is one set on the Peruvian Red, but it is yellowing and I feel it will drop off in the next day or so.. I'm not greedy, just want one!

I notice the Baccatum v. baccatum wilds are very similar in flowering to the Bird Aji, and I think CaneDog's donation to my addiction should be flowering today.. If it sets like the other Bird, I should be set. Really glad I picked this one to isolate, because it dwarfs the others and seems to be doing just fine indoors, with almost 2 full tiers of isolation and another one well on the way.
I'll admit, I'm a little torn on keeping her in now and putting her back outside.. Thoughts?
20220818_085105.jpg

@Indiana_Jesse , I notice you are pretty fond of the arthropods too.. Wondering if you happen to know this bee? She only had eyes for the sunflower pictured, and I found her the next day, sleeping on this one you see her evaluating (she was actually scoping a couple beetles, maybe deciding if they were a threat or not) here. Her colors were almost identical to the flower petals. Not sure if her wing being a little damaged was what caused it, but her buzz was louder than the other many bees that were buzzing around the flowers.. It was very distinct and about as loud as our biggest Bumblers, even though she was not quite the size for it.. Maybe and inch+ long and half as wide. Before this shot she did a flyby of the flowers and then came back around and landed here to watch the beetles. I didn't stay to watch it play out because she was aware of me too, and I didn't want to discourage her.
20220814_141648.jpg
20220814_141659.jpg
Yeah it comes with the territory of being an entomologist I suppose hehe. My first thought is one of the Diadasia digger/chimney bees. The behavior sounds like it's a male patrolling the area for females and rival males.

Back