• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2022 - too early to get started...

My real start of the season is still months away but I couldn't resist to put something in the soil already - Tasmanian Black! :dance:

P1020814.jpg

I noticed that too, some of the large beech trees in the area lost a couple of big branches after some windy weather...

I picked another pod of the not-red scotch brains today, unfortunately forgot to take a picture of it... 🙄

It was a large pod, ball shaped with a diameter of about 5cm / 2”. It was more like a ballon though, thin walled with nearly no placenta inside. Tasted a little of it without placenta. Now I understand what is meant when they talk about "perfumy"! I'm not sure if I like it or not, and what it would be like if I made a power of it.

Mouth burn was moderate, maybe a bit higher than a regular scotch bonnet but not by much. Lip burn on the other hand was much more pronounced.

Yep, I tried a few now but I always keep going back to my Schneider Farms SB!

I just got to try the Scotch Brains (the "real" one) together with another couple of not-red Scotch Brains. While my initial taste test (see post 269) was good, all following test were not. I'm now always getting a strong "perfume" aroma which I cannot like.

The real Scotch Brains was something completely different. I took a couple of samples without placenta and got a strong bean taste with nearly no heat. Then I tried a piece with placenta. It didn't taste bad and initially there didn't seem to be much heat either. The heat came a minute or two later and kept on building quite a while. And it was definitely hot, it felt like I ate a complete scotch bonnet! But while scotch bonnets give me mostly throat burn, the heat of the scotch brains was mainly on the tongue.

A couple of low quality pod pictures...
Ordinary scotch brains on the left...
P1000338.JPG

Ordinary scotch brains on the right. The 2 large halves (left and middle) are from the right pod in the above shot.
P1000339.JPG

I think I'm going to discard the not-red scotch brains plant. I'll keep the regular scotch brains but will give the pods away...

I have the impression that this seasons' scotch bonnets are quite a bit hotter than those of last year. Usually, when I make myself a pizza, I cut two SBs to small pieces, placenta etc. mostly removed. With those from last year the pizza had some heat but nothing spectacular. Did the same today with this years' harvest. That was a really hot pizza! My stomach is a bit upset right now...

I have the impression that this seasons' scotch bonnets are quite a bit hotter than those of last year. Usually, when I make myself a pizza, I cut two SBs to small pieces, placenta etc. mostly removed. With those from last year the pizza had some heat but nothing spectacular. Did the same today with this years' harvest. That was a really hot pizza! My stomach is a bit upset right now...

Hot weather + drought = plant stress = increased capsaicin production. There are, however, significant differences between varieties. I've got a paper on that topic, somewhere hidden in this dump on my desk. I may find it again, later.

My scotch brain plant was the only one that didn't want to start producing ripe pods, so about a week ago I took it inside after I gave it a nice hair cut to size it down a bit. After a day or two the peppers already started to ripen!...

The plant after the hair cut...
P1000343.JPG

Such pretty peppers!
P1000340.JPG

P1000341.JPG

P1000342.JPG

I'm not sure what to do with the peppers yet as I think they are quite a bit hotter that my regular scotch bonnets. I'll probably make a powder out of them...

you've got some trees on your hands! looks like the season turned out pretty well in spite of some of those early set-backs! Enjoy the impending well-earned harvest!

So here we are again... the schneider farms scotch bonnet trimmed down for overwintering next to the scotch brains. The trunk of the schneider has become quite a bit thicker. The scotch brain will undergo the same treatment when most of the pods are ripe. These are the only plants that I will (try to) overwinter this year.

20220925_163001.jpg

There were still quite a few unripe pods on the schneider. Not sure if they will still ripen properly but we'll see...

IMG-20220925-WA0000.jpeg

And even some more...

IMG-20220925-WA0002.jpeg

There were still a lot more but they were too small to keep...

Man, that Schneider was loaded, Marc!

Sure was! Unfortunately the warm season ended too soon...
Maybe it was still a bit early to take the plant inside. I checked my pictures of previous season and noticed that I took it inside halfway october back then. I could also have taken it inside as-is like I did with the scotch brain but the plant was just way too large

Season is over for me, but I'm already working on the plants for next season.

First the keepers...
HSH Scotch Bonnet in the center front, Scotch Brains left back, Schneider Farms Scotch Bonnet right back. The Schneider Farms will be in it's third year next season.
20221015 124132 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f2.00 ISO200 P1000348.JPG

To avoid the issues I had with the seedlings this spring, I already have the new seedlings for next year growing 🙂

KSLS on the left, a new Schneider Farms Scotch Bonnet in the center and chocolate scotch bonnet on the right...
20221015 124427 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f2.20 ISO200 P1000349.JPG

And two more...
SB7J on the left, 7pod brain strain yellow on the right.
The SB7J is a particularly nice plant. Both are already starting to flower 🙂
20221015 124619 DC-LX100M2 10.90mm f2.50 ISO200 P1000352.JPG

I might still add one or two varieties. It would be nice if I could add KSPS (peach starrkist) and KSSR (scarlet rose) to the list but these seeds are not so easy to get, especially on this side of the pond.

Back