• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

24hrs light?

2012-02-06045304.jpg
2012-02-06045233.jpg

hi guys

is it ok to give light to my seedlings 24hrs light?
are they gonna burn?
is it safe?

once they are a few weeks old you are going to want to go to something like 18/6... there are aspects of the process of photosynthesis that need darkness to work.

ya give them 24/7 light the first week! Keep an eye on your seedlings to make sure the light isnt to close, otherwise the seedlings leaves will burn. If you have sprouts in the pellets underneath the dome lid I would remove the lid! Make sure you are bottom watering as well!

thanks mega hot,what if its only poking cus one of my ghost pepper is poking inside the dome already should i remove it and transfer to the other container that has no lid?

thanks mega hot,what if its only poking cus one of my ghost pepper is poking inside the dome already should i remove it and transfer to the other container that has no lid?

You're welcome. If you see any green I'd take it out and put it in the other container that has no lid, you are correct

thank you very so much for the help, im new to growing hot peppers so i dont know if theyre same as herbs

Most herbs are like weeds and will grown even in bad conditions. So peppers are a bit more temperamental, but still not hugely difficult to get growing. There is a difference between a growing pepper and a flourishing plant, but that is for a different thread.

As for 24 hour lights, I do 24/7 until the first set of real leaves typically. Then I will take it down to 18/6 after that like most others have said. I will admit my first year I did do 24/7 until they went outside and I really didn't notice any difference in the size or health of those plants vs every grow season since then. I only changed away from 24/7 because people here recommend it and it saves a bit on the electric bill when you are using something like a HPS light.

You can easily do 24/7 for a couple weeks. For the first couple weeks, up to a month, the plants benefit from the extra light, after they get a certain age/size its just not economical anymore. Not worth it after they get a little bit bigger. I run my germ chamber 24/7 and my plants are in there for up to a month after they sprout. Then they get bumped to 16/8.

Once they show green leaves I go to 18/6 works good for me. other wise they are in the dark till they show green.

You can easily do 24/7 for a couple weeks. For the first couple weeks, up to a month, the plants benefit from the extra light, after they get a certain age/size its just not economical anymore. Not worth it after they get a little bit bigger. I run my germ chamber 24/7 and my plants are in there for up to a month after they sprout. Then they get bumped to 16/8.

I, like MWM use 24/7 for up to 5-6 weeks...then they go to 18/6 and to 12/12 if I really need to slow growth down to meet plantout date...

I, like MWM use 24/7 for up to 5-6 weeks...then they go to 18/6 and to 12/12 if I really need to slow growth down to meet plantout date...

+1
AJ is right on the mark.

Unfortunately my situation only allows for 16/8 routine. I have no problems growing 18"+ supers to plant outside for late May – early June. I grow in a zone 4 and make it up in other areas.

Back