• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

3/5King's 2013 ZING!-Peppin' Ain't Easy 2.0 "If The Boat's a Rockin'....."

we're still Alive!.....now let's get back to growing peppers.

So I decided to start Peppin' Ain't Easy 2.0 instead of continuing last year’s Glog. This way everything can stay nice and tidy.

If you want to see my shenanigans from last season, CLICK http://thehotpepper....sy35kings-2012/

I’m excited…the season is upon us! (Well except for those that live on the other side of the hemisphere; you bastards have been growing for months!)(Mezo…lol)

Let’s see, where to start….well, I hope everyone’s year is starting out right. I know everyone’s year can’t be going well, so a prayer will go out to all of you that are having a not so good 2013. Me…I’m alive and still ambitious, so I’ll be alright.

On to the plants; well, I started some plants back in November…here I was being hopeful to the extreme..thinking I would have some nice plants to give away around Christmas or the new year….that was my first mistake circa 2013..

I did something wrong (like usual) listed below will be the list of seeds I started and what my setup consists of....(Like it says above…peppin’ ain’t easy)

Seeds 2013 (started Nov. 17, 2012)

Carolina Reaper
Bubble Gum 7pot
Explosive Ember
FireCracker
Red Missle
Purple Puru
Orange Starbust
Cappezoli
Brazilian Starfish

More coming…

Soil

Pro-Mix Organic with sea based compost

Nutrients

General Organics-Bio Thrive (gave first feeding at around 60 days old)

Grow Box/Light Setup

5- 6500 Kelvin 2750 Lumen 1- 2700 Kelvin 2750 Lumen (CFL’s) (Total: 16,500 Lumens)

5- Square foot growing area

Sides and roof lined with mylar bubble wrap (Like the stuff you line your basements with for insulation)

Plants are 4-10 Inches away from lights (depending on how big they are)

Bottom Watered

Foliar fed with bio thrive (every two to three days)

Side Note: (I did water the plants at about 30 days with the used water from my fish tank. I used this water for about 2 weeks and then went back to regular water for awhile)

Temps- 80-90 Degrees

So there you have it, this is the start to my 2012/13 season. Now to get on to the hiccups along the way…dang I forgot to mention the overwinter…I’ll get to that debacle in a minute.

Problems encountered; The plants started growing fine but as they got older, they just randomly dropping leaves (although it seems that the leaves that drop are the older leaves) Not from the bottom up or the top down, just random. Sometimes they drop when they are green, sometimes they drop after they have yellowed and some…some even just shrivel up and die on the plant..lol. This is a funky situation.

Also a lot of the plants seem to be stuck…like the plants look like they are getting older (stems getting thicker, mature leaves) but they aren’t really growing in size anymore. Now I can say that they A. Should have enough light at 3300 lumens a square foot B. Maybe they are too close or not close enough to the light.

My thoughts about the leaf drop: Possible that they are A. Getting too little of light (which shouldn’t be the case) B. They are getting burnt by hot spots from the bubble mylar or C. I have no idea…

Well, if you have any input or ideas as to why my situation is bucked up, please feel free to inform me.

Now for my overwinter; I brought in one Moruga for the winter. When I brought it in, it was thriving. New growth was popping up left and right. It was growing fast, so I asked Pepperguru what I should do. He told me I could just clip it like a bonsai tree. Well…the plant had shot a lot of branched out of the main trunk, before the split. So I cut most of those branches that had shot out, off and left all of the foliage above the first main split. After I did that, the plant didn’t do so well anymore. There really wasn’t anymore new growth and what was there although did get bigger, started to die and drop leaves. As well, the branches started to die from the top down. So I cut them back….everything started dying back more…so I cut it back more. Then one of my last (new) green branches had a dead leaf on it, so I went to pull it off and with barely any pressure, the whole branch pulled right off the plant! Hahahaha…I laughed so hard and then immediately used some cutting gel and stuck it in some soil. The pics you see below are what’s left…..ah haha, It makes me laugh so hard.

So there you have it. I know this was/is a lot to read but I wanted to be thorough lol. This way everyone’s questions are answered before they are asked and you all get an idea of where I’m at and what it took to get here.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN 2013!! Now for the pics..

SOME LEAVES THAT DROPPED
IMG_6587.jpg

ORANGE STARBURST
IMG_6586.jpg

CAROLINA REAPER
IMG_6584.jpg

EXPLOSIVE EMBER
IMG_6582.jpg

ORANGE STARBURST
IMG_6578.jpg

BUBBLEGUM 7
IMG_6575.jpg

INDOOR GROW
IMG_6573.jpg

INDOOR GROW
IMG_6572.jpg

MORUGA OVERWINTER
IMG_6571.jpg

MORUGA CUTTING
IMG_6570.jpg

Jeez Dave, i want my retina`s back please. :lol: that`s more of a sun bed surely (and don't call me Shirley) how many amps does that suck? or watts & ill work it out (ohms law) and same for the rope light, power usage? and can you control the temp? does it have a thermo switch to kick it on/off.

great grow list, oh yeah,,,did Pia end up singing you a lullaby yet mate?

EDIT: I may have worked this out from your pictures? so a total of 360w would give you a total load of 3.2A

Mezo.

Mezo ya Son of'a very lovely women! Yep, you can tan your hide on these suckers. This unit (with all 8 lights on) Consumes around 488W

I'm not sure about the rope light, it's relatively low. There's no switch, it stays on constant but it keeps a good temperature for me. I've been meaning to measure it but I keep forgetting my digital stick thermometer. I'll let you know the temps I'm getting today.

No sadly Pia didn't sing me a sweet lullaby. I imagine the soothing harmony in my head and wait for the day Mezo.

hmm, is that how you water your seedlings? Looks like a lot of water
Thats something new for me.

btw, good luck on the Tough Mudder run. Have fun! Look up HIIT for running :)

Hey kiddc, thanks for looking in. I had just dumped some water in the trays to keep my pucks wet. I empty the residual water out afterward, they don't stay that way.

Thanks for the good luck, the Insanity workout is definitely HIIT. In a couple months I'm going to start my run training, I've still got some weight to lose. Some bursts of full out speed followed by a period of normal pace is how I'm planning on starting my training. Any and all advice and wisdom is welcome.

Now thats a light!! (crocodile dundee)! How much did that thing run ya if you don't mind me asking? And about the seedlings, did you guys just drop seeds in or did you cover em up at all? They will love it under the light. You can get pretty damn close too with it. I usually put mine at about 3'' above the plants. You'll probably get some purple coty's but they will get used to it. That light is a beast man.

I'm not sure about the rope light, it's relatively low. There's no switch, it stays on constant but it keeps a good temperature for me. I've been meaning to measure it but I keep forgetting my digital stick thermometer. I'll let you know the temps I'm getting today.

I was wondering if they got to hot (cooking them?) have you seen these bits of kit here.

Mezo.

Now thats a light!! (crocodile dundee)! How much did that thing run ya if you don't mind me asking? And about the seedlings, did you guys just drop seeds in or did you cover em up at all? They will love it under the light. You can get pretty damn close too with it. I usually put mine at about 3'' above the plants. You'll probably get some purple coty's but they will get used to it. That light is a beast man.

well the first on (we just ordered another) cost 225 (with the lights) shipped. The second one cost 205 (with the lights) shipped. I got them from eBay and they had a buy it now or best offer. The initial price was 194.99 or close to it and I offered 175; which was excepted. The second time I figured I'd offer a little lower. So I offered 160 and it was immediately accepted too. The lights I bought separately, they were 45.98 I believe, shipped (8 4ft 6400k Agromax)

We're hoping for some serious growing this year......lol. Combined that's 976W at 80,000 lumens.

Yeah, I'm sure I will be lowering the lights soon, I just want to be safe rather than sorry. Tonight I think I'm going to drop them down to 18in.

BTW, I love Crocodile Dundee..lol he is the shit. I watch those movies all the time (1 and 2)

I was wondering if they got to hot (cooking them?) have you seen these bits of kit here.

Mezo.

Last year, when we let the seed trays get too dry, the temp was at 110 degrees. This year, we raised the trays off the mat about 1/4 inch to avoid the high temps. We're still playing around with it. The seeds that got to 110 (once the temp was brought down) still germed just fine. I haven't looked at any temp regulators before, I might have to look into it. I was trying to adjust them to get a mean temperature that stays constant, instead of spending more money on a stat to regulate it.

BRIGIT'S LOCOTO SPROUTED! Got dang, I was thinkin' they never would. Time to get serious on the GROWDOWN!

Tonight I'll be going over to my buddy's to see how the rest of the grow operation's going and probably move the light closer to the newly arrived seedlings.

Hows the T5 working out? I bet thats one bright mutha...

If you are standing looking at it at an angle, it's not too bad, but if you're under it and looking up at it, you have to immediately look away or you'll be seeing green and purple haze for awhile...lol. Right now we only have 4 of the 8 bulbs on. I turned it on two days ago and have to go back today to check on everything and make adjustments to the height. We've got another light coming in on Monday....hahahaha I love it. It's going to be epic.

Looks like you're coming right along! That light looks amazing - I think the most telling pic was the one back from a distance with it hung in its spot and shining down. It looked like you had a sunlight installed in the ceiling or something.
I'd suggest really watching that those bugs don't jump from your OW's to your new plants or you're in trouble. I had trouble with my OW's too this year, and ended up segregating them far away in darkness. I don't care if they die, I'm not going to lose all my new plants for 7 old ones. Also, as someone who has battled aphids, it might not be that bonide sucks. It's that aphids are a beast to get rid of. I'm beginning to think (for myself at least) that once they make it indoors you are done. They are designed to multiply and survive. What you need are predators, which are hard to find indoors (unless the new dog likes aphids, but not pepper leaves). I think it was on this website that someone posted a video of aphids reproducing immediately after birth. I mean, how do you counter that?

Great grow list btw, and I second the opinion of having that soil checked. It could be an awesome addition, but you don't want something on your land that could set it back for 10 years. If it's clean, it could be just what the doctor ordered for your soil problems, although, you've been adding organic material and stuff to that soil for a year now, so I wouldn't be surprised if this year's grow really took off for you.

Looks like you're coming right along! That light looks amazing - I think the most telling pic was the one back from a distance with it hung in its spot and shining down. It looked like you had a sunlight installed in the ceiling or something.
I'd suggest really watching that those bugs don't jump from your OW's to your new plants or you're in trouble. I had trouble with my OW's too this year, and ended up segregating them far away in darkness. I don't care if they die, I'm not going to lose all my new plants for 7 old ones. Also, as someone who has battled aphids, it might not be that bonide sucks. It's that aphids are a beast to get rid of. I'm beginning to think (for myself at least) that once they make it indoors you are done. They are designed to multiply and survive. What you need are predators, which are hard to find indoors (unless the new dog likes aphids, but not pepper leaves). I think it was on this website that someone posted a video of aphids reproducing immediately after birth. I mean, how do you counter that?

Great grow list btw, and I second the opinion of having that soil checked. It could be an awesome addition, but you don't want something on your land that could set it back for 10 years. If it's clean, it could be just what the doctor ordered for your soil problems, although, you've been adding organic material and stuff to that soil for a year now, so I wouldn't be surprised if this year's grow really took off for you.

I was up there yesterday and didn't see anymore. I'm going to give them a real good look here in the next day or two. I told my buddy if we can't get rid of them, I'm going to burn those plants to the ground....I don't care lol. They're not going to f**k up this years whole grow; I'm not going to be dealing with a garden full of aphids. So let's all just say a prayer for these plants....there lives depend on it lol. Definitely going to get the soil checked out, I'm hoping that it's good to go because that stuff will just be loaded with goodness. Even without it, I think with everything we put in it at the end of last season, we should be alright. I hope we all have the best year yet! I want nothing but the best for everyone's gardens.

Just wait until we get our other light tomorrow....we're going to have some serious watts going on up in the Pepper Pent House. I think they will grow some monster starts. (I think I might have started my annuums a little too soon.....hahaha)

Great show on the lights, Looks like you have just about every thing lined up. The seeds you sent me are popping up thanks so much for them, I hope the pump will work out for you at some point. Speaking of popping up has your Brigit's Locoto sprouted yet? Mine have not done anything in 12 days while my Trinidads and 7 pods are all coming up. With all those lights things look nice and toasty , bet you can't wait till spring, we've got a messy winter weather problem again looks like its headed your way.
Take care and have a great grow. :P

Dave...which Bonide were you using? I had good luck with the Bonide Fruit and Nut spray last year. Have heard their version of organic is not that great. Great advice from Andy. You may also consider completely defoliating them and moving them to a sunny window for a couple weeks away from your grow station. I had severe aphid problems early last year indoors and out. They hit the plants with the ugly stick for a long time, and slowed their progress for a while, but once mother nature and all the beneficial insects found their aphid candy things found balance. Aphids can quickly adapt to pesticides, so any that survive the spray or even linger in the sprayed areas can develop a tolerance to most pesticides. So its important to mix it up on your pesticide choices. I released thousands of Lady Bugs and they did pretty well for a while, but the friendlies that finally won my plants back were aphid wasps by the thousands...I sat and watched as they injected the little suckers...
Hope this vid made you warm and fuzzy inside...I watch it over and over smiling all the way to my soul.

Beneficials are the best. I too get joy from them destroying the bad guys in painful ways. Once you get outside you should be good. Get some flowers that draw beneficials. I usually have sweet alyssum, dill works well, there's a bunch of them... but that's a few months away... Until then, yeah I'll throw up some prayers - fwiw :pray: Huh, I've never used that emoticon before, cool...

Man that's an awesome video Shane

Shane, thanks for the vid lol It was disgustingly sweet. I'm not sure which Bondide I was using, I'll have to look (but it wasn't the fruit and nut spray) I feel like I'm real close to ridding them from my grow or at least keeping them at near extinction until they get outside. If not, I'm just going to burn them to the ground. I really don't feel like dealing with it anymore to be honest. I'd rather have all of my new seedlings free of them bastards (I don't have anywhere else to put them) We'll see what happens.

Yeah, Pulpy I used companion planting last season. It's awesome to be able to just let mother nature do it's thing. I plan on doing the same again this year.

George, we are about to get blasted with snow tonight and all day tomorrow; 7-10 inches supposedly.

I haven't updated in awhile but I do have a few pictures to post for you guys. I'd like to mention that I hate the pellets and will not be using them ever again. I'm going to stick with good old fashioned soil less potting mixs from now on lol.

Things are what they are, nothing too much to report, some of the seedlings are getting their true leaves, others haven't popped yet. I'm still playing with the height of the T5. I should be potting a lot of them up soon.

This tray is mostly superhots
IMG_6738.jpg

This tray contains a lot of annuums and some other chinense varieties
IMG_6736.jpg

This is the Brigit's Locoto (Soon to be in the Guiness Book of World Records for "Tallest plant in the world")
IMG_6737.jpg

OW's still hanging in there (we reconfigured the lights)
IMG_6735.jpg

T-5 Setup BOOM!
IMG_6734.jpg

Another T-5 Money Shot
IMG_6733.jpg

Dave, germ rates looking pretty good! Why are you a pellet hater? I remember your grow loft from last year...you should clear the other stuff out of there, get some reflective insulation and make it look like this...
http://harringtonhomerenovations.com/images/insulation/northeastflorida_contractor_insulation_8.jpg

I remember you having trouble with your in-ground plot...not the one in the backyard that one was rocking, but the larger area. Did you ever get that issue nailed down???

That's a nice idea Shane, I like it! Man Dave, those shots of the T-5 continue to impress, just the reflective light off the wood floor is bright enough to wash out in the picture! You've got quite a few popping up - good stuff. I'm curious why you don't like the pellets as well. This year I went from a soilless to a potting soil start (we'll see if it hurts me). If this works, it's how I'll do it, but curious what your experience with pellets was like since I've never done it.

David....Cool setup!
The OW's are starting to look perky. With 8+ more weeks of indoor grow those babies will be podding up late in June.

Those lights are the bomb. Man I bet the Lumens are way up there. I can't wait to see how the superhots take off under those.

You've got enough room for some full size plants. It has to be warm up top will the insulation and the radient heat off the lights...

Nice update, looking forward to next update

We're headed for a warm up here, mach is usually is early spring least wise it has been the last 4 years, this year it was cold with fluries, but spring is close.
We won't be able to put out any solanum type plants or beans for that matter, but thats ok that is what May is for, finally got some Brigit's Locotos to come up, I really need some new lights for my grow but had to replace my drive for my computer and install a new vidio card, which took what money I had left, so nothing else now. Next Month looks bad for me for extra cash and I need a memory chip for my camera, just one thing after another.
Things look like they are coming around good for your grow, I hope that you don't get to much snow.

Dave, germ rates looking pretty good! Why are you a pellet hater? I remember your grow loft from last year...you should clear the other stuff out of there, get some reflective insulation and make it look like this...
http://harringtonhom...nsulation_8.jpg

I remember you having trouble with your in-ground plot...not the one in the backyard that one was rocking, but the larger area. Did you ever get that issue nailed down???

HA! Now that's quite the setup. I'll have to chew on that bone for a bit...lol

Yes we did have a problem with it...it wasn't the best but another part of the bigger picture was that I planted all of the plants in the ground and they were all root bound. I never untangled them and I think that added to the situation.

At the end of last year, we went and picked up a truck load of top soil from an old school football field and we also went and picked up a truck load of compost from a local yard. (not cow compost though...that would be too nice right) We tilled all of that into the garden, added some lime, two wheelbarrows full of fire pit ashes, layered it with leaves and also tossed in some Alabama Jumpers that Melissa was nice enough to send up. So we are hoping things are nailed down on that end. I'm actually really anxious to see how things grow in our new mix.

Reasons I do not like pellets.....let me count the ways; they dry out too quickly and (probably because I did it wrong but I followed the directions on the package) the seeds just sit in the holes and when they grow out, some of the roots were exposed, they have no support around the sides. (but after I planted them all and started seeing them sprout, I thought to myself "I should have squished them and filled in that center hole.) could be my fault in the end but the package didn't say to do that and I've never used them before. In either case, I don't like how fast they dry out...that's enough to make me not want to use them again. I like my soils, I just figured I'd give it a go. (this answer is for you too Andy lol)

David....Cool setup!
The OW's are starting to look perky. With 8+ more weeks of indoor grow those babies will be podding up late in June.

Those lights are the bomb. Man I bet the Lumens are way up there. I can't wait to see how the superhots take off under those.

You've got enough room for some full size plants. It has to be warm up top will the insulation and the radient heat off the lights...

Nice update, looking forward to next update

These lights ARE the bomb. I am more than pleased with them so far. The initial lumen output per fixture is 40,000 lumens. They have a switch as to only have 4 of the 8 bulbs on at a time as well...inner side or outer side lights. I'm hoping the super hots explode! We are planning on potting as many as we can up to 3 gallon containers before plant out. Last year they grew out of their one gallon containers before we could get them outside. Also, I will be pruning back all of the plants about a month before plant out. I want them to be really bushy and have a tone of nodes (well this is what I'm going for but I'm sure to f**k something up.)

Right now, heat isn't an issue. With the lights on and a small heater, it stays around 78-82 degrees up there...but when it starts getting warmer out, we will be having a heat issue (like we did last year) but we have an air conditioner in there, so we are prepared for it. I'm really excited to see how much or if at all this years grow goes better than last year.

We're also going to try and make our own fish hydrolysate this year....hahahahahaha, stay tuned for many many more crazy ideas/inventions/contraptions this season!

We're headed for a warm up here, mach is usually is early spring least wise it has been the last 4 years, this year it was cold with fluries, but spring is close.
We won't be able to put out any solanum type plants or beans for that matter, but thats ok that is what May is for, finally got some Brigit's Locotos to come up, I really need some new lights for my grow but had to replace my drive for my computer and install a new vidio card, which took what money I had left, so nothing else now. Next Month looks bad for me for extra cash and I need a memory chip for my camera, just one thing after another.
Things look like they are coming around good for your grow, I hope that you don't get to much snow.

Too much snow! BAH I love me too much snow. There will never be too much snow for me (but this doesn't mean that I don't need a nice hot summer as well, that's why I live in the midwest.....not really, I was just born here..lol Moved away twice...something keep drawing me back in; family/friends)

Money's always tight around these parts, I'm broke, thank god to my buddy's job and some of the sales of our powders, we've been able to get a few things. My buddy funds a lot of it now that I don't have any steady income. I'm the brains of the operation.....lmfao. Hope you fall into some dough so you can get the things you need George.

Spring is on the doorstep knockin' she'll be let in soon. We've got a lot of 40+ days coming up here.

Awesome man. Your lights are looking hella dialed in! Pretty interested to see how things develop of the next 3 weeks or so.

Beehunter! Long time no see, glad you stopped in. Are you able to grow this year? I hope so. The lights are amazing, I'm hoping they bring us much success.

Sorry I took so long to get back to everyone, I've been busting my ass trying to get this weight off of me and just don't feel like doing much afterwards but the other day was 1 month down on the INSANITY workout and today is the weigh-in. My other buddy and I weigh in every two weeks. I'll let you all know the results...if I'm not too tired hahaha.. No but seriously I will.

My other other buddy (John) is coming over tomorrow with his equipment (he welds plastic) and he's going to help me make a 5' by 6' watering tray for up in the loft. It's going to be awesome....and huge. He's providing the plastic too (from his work) so it's not going to cost a dime. He told me I just had to look good for his wedding in August...hey I've got that covered already.

I'll update a little more hopefully by the end of the weekend. Take care everyone and KUTGF.

Back