• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

3CTX's 2015 7 Pot Onslaught

Howdy and welcome folks!!! I decided to keep this glog going for 2015 instead of starting a new one. This year i will be growing mostly 7 pot varieties, going to try and focus on the 7 pot varieties and 7 pot crosses anyway. I have starts for a few others though. The start for 2015 begins on page 35.

Grow list:
7 pot primo (pepperlover)
7 pot jonah (pepperlover)
Defcon 7 (buckeye)
MA daisycutter (buckeye)
7 pot original (pepperlover)
7 Pot Barrackpore (pepperlover)
Sb7j (meathead)
7 pot gigantic sr orange (refining fire)
7 pot wes (refining fire)
Sherwoods Carbonero, carbon bhut 7 pot x orange hab (pepper t sherwood)
Bonda ma Jacques x yellow 7 pot (meathead)
Non 7 pots:
MOA scotch bonnet (meathead)
Smokin Eds carolina reaper (Ed Currie)
Safi Red (buckeye)
Black Hungarian (meathead)
Bishops Crown (pepperlover)
explosive Ember (buckeye)

I think thats it for now. I'm not planning on doing a hydro grow this season but its still to early to tell (probably end up doing one dwc).
i will also be experimenting with topping this year just to see what all the hype is about. Thats all i got for now, thanks again for stopping by any and all comments are welcomed and appreciated. Good luck to everyone this year.

After that all day rain and cooler weather almost all the big leaves had mass ruptured cells and had twisted up they fell off when I touched them. The smaller leaves seem to be doing alright though.

Went to the hydro store today and I think I got everything I need to get started. I will post pics once I get everything setup and will hopefully be transplanting next weekend. Ive got it narrowed down to either the red bhut or the red primo as my first test subject. I tested the ph of our tap water and it came in at 7.1, not too good:( over the course of the week I'll play with the ph up&down and test some ro water before the transplant.

I'm seriously tired of this weather its 80 degrees right now and in the morning it will be in the upper 30s! Wtf? Went and checked on my scotch bonnets outside today and they have a ton of flowers loaded with pollen. I guess I will have to move them in for a couple days. Dont have a lot of room under the lights though. On a happier note I got my sight tube installed on the bucket I will be using for hydro, tomorrow I will test it to make sure it holds water.

They'll be ok inside for a couple of days with little or no light. If you can set them near a window where they can get a little even indirect it will help, but its not necessary. They'll be fine and much happier in a warmer spot.

Ol lady is goin out tonight, I got my tds meter and tap water is at 340 ppm im goin to the store and buying some ro water and we are starting this hydroponic thing tonight.

Well 3 days later the bhut is still alive. The first set of leaves look a little rough but they were severly purpled from having the lights a little too close to them when it was still in soil. Might go ahead and change out the water today because there is a ton of sediment from the clay pellets, dont know if that will affect anything I'm probably just paranoid. The man who gave me my first superhot agreed to host the majority of my seedlings, my old man took a few so I have 8 plants which will be manageable for my limited grow space! Oh and we went to the oyster fest yesterday and I scored some chocolate jalapeño peanut brittle shit was the bomb!

Did you give your pellets a through wash before use? Chocolate jalepeno brittle sounds amazing!

I soaked them for a while I should have done a better job I guess I got excited. Do you know if it will hurt anything?

thirdcoasttx said:
I soaked them for a while I should have done a better job I guess I got excited. Do you know if it will hurt anything?

Shouldn't really hurt TOO much, I just know that dust and silt can really gunk things up. Also, I think if there is too much it can mess with your pH. I really cleaned mine well, and didnt notice any problems. So if you can, I'd rinse it real well, and change out the solution if the pH starts doing wacky things.

Went ahead and changed out the nute solution today and man there was some nasty stuff in there. So I rinsed and scrubbed, whiped down with h2o2 and rinsed again. Got the nute solution at 205ppm and ph at 5.5. I just so happened to spot this little guy in the process.

First signs of life underneath!!! How does it look in it's new waterworld? Did it respond well and perk up? Dunno about the muck...but if the plant is looking good I don't know if I'd sweat it...maybe just change water a little more often I suppose. Would have to ask the hydro experts on that one...

First signs of life underneath!!! How does it look in it's new waterworld? Did it respond well and perk up? Dunno about the muck...but if the plant is looking good I don't know if I'd sweat it...maybe just change water a little more often I suppose. Would have to ask the hydro experts on that one...

It looks pretty good except for the first leaves but I think its because I had the lights too close to them. Im still waiting for it to take off. I guess ill go to the hydro store this weekend and see what those guys say about the nasties and ill probably go ahead and change the water also.

thirdcoasttx said:
The nasty brown stuff is back I dont know if its still the dusty crap from the pellets or mold or fungus I hope not!!

Kinda hard for me to tell from the those pics that it's definitely not mold, but I doubt it... It looks like hydroton silt. Which is to be expected (especially since yours may not have received a thorough enough first wash). But it really shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as your pH and ppm stay in check. There's not much to be clogged with a DWC (that's more of an issue on ebb/flow setups,or anything with drip emitters) Just keep an eye on them. And for reference... I washed mine really well and still saw silt for at least a month on my weekly changes.

Heck, I don't think I washed my Hydroton off at all. If that is what the sediment is, I wouldn't worry about it.

But the fact that you have so much sediment brings up a question. How high is your water level? Once the plants are established, it isn't supposed to be up into the space of the net pot. I know your plant is young so you most likely have the water higher, but lower it once the roots come down and you won't get any more sediment issues.

Heck, I don't think I washed my Hydroton off at all. If that is what the sediment is, I wouldn't worry about it.

But the fact that you have so much sediment brings up a question. How high is your water level? Once the plants are established, it isn't supposed to be up into the space of the net pot. I know your plant is young so you most likely have the water higher, but lower it once the roots come down and you won't get any more sediment issues.

I was thinking about that myself just a little while ago. Right now its about an inch below the net pot and the bottom of the hydroton stays extremely wet Im thinking maybe this weekend ill change the water and lower it a bit to see what happens.

Back