• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

5 gallon bucket question....

Duffman said:
I hit up my local grocery store deli/bakery department. They directed my out behind the building to their recycling dumpster where I grabbed as many as I needed. (I'm a dumpster diver!) There's a range of sizes and shapes up to around 5-6 gallons and everything is food-grade plastic and white. I had to go back a few times to find what I wanted but now I'm set. I sure won't be buying buckets again.

Here is a graphic representation of how your local grocery store feels LMAO:
http://jeffcjensen.net/blog/attach/walrus_bucket.jpg

^lol,

I use the orange buckets from HD mostly because i can get them for free from work, but you should also check around your local garden shops, a local one here has a "pot recycling" bin thats like leave a penny take a penny type deal. I can usually find tons of 1-5 gallons pots there for free as well

The orange HD "Homer" buckets are safe to use for your plants. They are not FDA certified, but the release agent they use is the same as for the white FDA certified. And the orange is dye is supposed to be safe with the safe temperature range of the hdpe plastic which is below 190C. Went through this on a brewing forum where people wanted to use them for making beer. They called the manufacturer they said "not food safe" but their chemists said "It's safe just not certified" Many there have been using the buckets for awhile ,and had no ill effects... so far.

Back