• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

7 pot Jonah x Pimenta da Neyde

Ferby said:
How many generations have you grown? I think i need to grow this one next year. I already have the SB7J :fireball:

Just the F1 and F2 generations so far. Others and I will have F3 seeds for next year.

Cool cross!  I'm growing Bhut X PDN this year, as well as PDNs (makes me wonder what BJPDN X 7PJPDN would look like XD)

I noticed you said you picked your PDNs too early and the seeds weren't viable...that leads me to a question...How do you know when they're ripe?  Both my PDN plants are forking/budding now. 

ikeepfish said:
Cool cross!  I'm growing Bhut X PDN this year, as well as PDNs (makes me wonder what BJPDN X 7PJPDN would look like XD)

I noticed you said you picked your PDNs too early and the seeds weren't viable...that leads me to a question...How do you know when they're ripe?  Both my PDN plants are forking/budding now. 

I'd love to see that cross. Perhaps we could do it next season. I don't think there is a way to know when their ripe. I'd leave them on there until they get squishy. I plan to do that this year. I had no seed stock and traded for some for this season.

Dulac said:

Just the F1 and F2 generations so far. Others and I will have F3 seeds for next year.

Curious: how will you select the F2 plant to use for F3 ? or will the individual growers just go with what they have ?

Dulac said:

I'd love to see that cross. Perhaps we could do it next season. I don't think there is a way to know when their ripe. I'd leave them on there until they get squishy. I plan to do that this year. I had no seed stock and traded for some for this season.
Curse it all!

I lost a Bhut X PDN today!  I came home from work and it was shriveled
I'm hoping it perks up by morning.  I still have ONE though.  It's got a lot riding on it now XD.  I guess I could start from scratch too, I have Bhuts and PDNs.

I've got a couple of interesting ones growing, but to early to tell if they will be anything special yet. Very dark now, but we will see how they progress. Have one that started dark but became a little bit greener as it got taller. 

HAJ said:
Curious: how will you select the F2 plant to use for F3 ? or will the individual growers just go with what they have ?
I gave individual growers a good amount of seeds (around 20 or more). I think they will select what they like. If I like something, I'll ask them if they will send me some. I'll be doing the same with the F2s. If people like one of my plants, I'll give them seeds. I have two general traits I'm selecting from the start. I'm selecting purple and partial purple. I just want a purple plant out of the purple ones I selected and stripes from the partial purple ones. Nigel and Matt have dark purple ones that are better than the 5 or so purple plants I selected from growing 30+ seedlings (my lighting could be the issue though). Nigel and Matt have better ones for nice dark purple foliage. Another thing I'm paying attention to is the color of the flowers. Purple is desired, but it's not necessary. I also want to select the fruit to look like the F1. The flavor should also be good. Taste is the most important trait for my selection, but the other traits are desirable.

Here is a partially purple that looks promising for stripes 7JPN:

I had a terrible spring, so it got some cold damage and had to recover. Another cool trait I'd like to select for is a dark stem like this one has and green leaves. The contrast is very nice. I didn't imagine this when I chose the two crosses.

14162944487_e84fe09006_z.jpg

Here are the flowers that I also didn't imagine, lol. I love the stripes!

14346096021_d0feb44700_z.jpg

ikeepfish said:
Curse it all!

I lost a Bhut X PDN today!  I came home from work and it was shriveled
I'm hoping it perks up by morning.  I still have ONE though.  It's got a lot riding on it now XD.  I guess I could start from scratch too, I have Bhuts and PDNs.

Ahh, you are in VA. Our weather is being so unpredictable! I almost killed some very important selections I'm hardening off the other day when it was way too sunny for them :( . I lost a few others, but they were not super purple 7JPN x TS Morugas (the ones that got damaged). I planted all the seeds for that selection, so they are extra special. Keep your guys alive. We can mix them up with this 7JPN x TS Morugas too. Are they purple?

SL3 said:
I've got a couple of interesting ones growing, but to early to tell if they will be anything special yet. Very dark now, but we will see how they progress. Have one that started dark but became a little bit greener as it got taller. 

It's quite strange how purple works, lol. The one in the picture above is starting to turn purple in its new growth. I guess we will found out what's truly interesting when they fruit. Partial purple can be good. The one in the pic has very fine green stripes on its stems. My purple birdeye peppers vary in their degree of purple as well. One is completely green! My marta frade is also having trouble turning a nice dark purple. My pimenta da neyde started off green for awhile and then it turned dark purple. I thought it wasn't growing true when it was green, lol.

Yeah I'm not entirely sure what is causing it to be such a complainer but it went from 50 at night to almost 90 today...I may bring it inside to recuperate if it's still alive in the morning.  They're purple with pink stems, really bizarre looking.  They're also kind of fragile like the PDNs are.

10371903_707856052611653_6886548214598021090_n.jpg

ikeepfish said:
Yeah I'm not entirely sure what is causing it to be such a complainer but it went from 50 at night to almost 90 today...I may bring it inside to recuperate if it's still alive in the morning.  They're purple with pink stems, really bizarre looking.  They're also kind of fragile like the PDNs are.

That looks really good :) . I noticed some of my 7JPNs had pink stems. It made me wonder if we could get pink stems, foliage, and peppers. I think a cross between the 7JPN x Moruga and bhut x PN would be nice. I'll probably cross the really dark ones with a reaper to spread that purple around, heh. I hope your plants survive and thrive.

I've selected seedlings with purple to almost purple leaves. My thinking is, that I have no idea how many of the purple ones will be semi-true PDN throwbacks. I'd hate to save all the darkest and be lacking in Jonah traits.

Capsaicin Pirate said:
I've selected seedlings with purple to almost purple leaves. My thinking is, that I have no idea how many of the purple ones will be semi-true PDN throwbacks. I'd hate to save all the darkest and be lacking in Jonah traits.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I have a completely green 7JPN x TS Moruga and 6-7 very purple ones. I mostly culled the non-purple ones though. I saved 4 other green ones, but I put them in an area that doesn't get a lot of sun (a place I put peppers I don't want to kill, lol). These are similar, and the green ones of either type could surprise us. The partial purple ones could give us stripes or other cool features. I had crossed it again to get away from the undesirable PN traits. The situation for my regular 7JPNs is similar (most are partially purple though). I plan to cross the dark 7JPN x TS Morugas with a reaper to further remove them from the PN but retain the purple. I love the taste of Jonahs, Morugas, and reapers, so I'm curious about a blend.

Edit: Some of the traits we don't want are the slow growth, thin stems, lanky growth, and low yields. At least that has been my experience with the PN. Some don't like the flavor, so selecting for a more 7 pot flavor might be ideal depending on the individual growing.

Do the darker plants not like a lot of sun?  This would make sense I guess...

perhaps that's part of my trouble with my sickly plant...

ikeepfish said:
Do the darker plants not like a lot of sun?  This would make sense I guess...

perhaps that's part of my trouble with my sickly plant...

The purple reflects blue, red, and ultraviolet giving them protection. They should do better in the sun. I don't see a problem in the pic you posted.

Dulac said:
The purple reflects blue, red, and ultraviolet giving them protection. They should do better in the sun. I don't see a problem in the pic you posted.
I have found my purples like tons of sun. If they don't get enough the leaves grow green mottled with purple.

Also,Dulac, those flowers look exactly the same as the ones on my PdN.

Back