• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

93yr old WWII Vet dies of hypothermia after power company cuts off electricty (Sad)

I can't really comment further because I just don't know the circumstances...all I know is that if a veteran dies at the hand of the government, woe be it to them that made that judgement in the final days...

He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money. (Ben Franklin)

Philipperv said:
Teach those utility crooks a lesson. * grrrr *

Yeah, but they're not really crooks, are they? It's a screaming example of poor communication on all sides, and certainly a tragedy; but no one committed a crime. It's dangerous for utility workers to make direct contact when serving a notice or shutting off service. People get angry and/or violent.

The neighbors wailing and beating their breasts after the fact could have checked on him, or spoken with one of the utility workers so that they would have known the resident was elderly and possibly of diminished capacity. The members of his church could have checked on him, or members of his family could have notified social services so that they would known to check on him. There are dozens of community programs that could have prevented this tragedy, but no one initiated the process. Apathy, while a sad comment on society, is not a crime.

Back