• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

A fungii to have around?

With the wet and gloomy weather we are getting recently, day temps around 24-25C (77F), Ive noticed that about 6-7 pots have a brown fungus on top of the soil.

trays2609b.jpg

Its been present fro 3 days, no problems to the seedlings themselves and I'm not concerned, but curious. It looks like fine instant coffee granules, and leaves a dirty brown stain on your finger.
I'm not familiar with it, so hoping someone who is can give me the heads up.
cheers, John

interesting! i think i've had more mushrooms in my plants this year than any other year! no problems though. i just till the first inch of soil and let it ride. yours looks like time release ferilizer though. haven't had that one yet. i think fungi in the soil can be helpful.

Is there really such a thing as beneficial fungi? In my mind - NO! That stuff will suck the life out of your plants if you let it go. Use a fungicide and eradicate it immediately. And try to figure out the cause - was it bad potting mix (kind of looks that way), or did it come from somewhere else? If it's bad potting mix, I suggest repotting your plants with good mix.

I had an entire bed of plants wiped out by various kinds fungus. The bed was the envy of my retired neighbors, who spend all day working on their beds and gardens. Then one day I went out to dead-head some flowers (which I did every other day), and found several of them on their last legs. They had appeared fine just a couple days before. Then almost suddenly, the whole thing was dead. It was a losing battle as it spread from one end of the bed to the other. It turned out the landscaper I had hired to build the bed used garbage peat moss and mulch - bad move. I ended up hiring someone to dig it all out, and bring in fresh dirt and mulch, then bought a whole new set of plants. Things are fine now, but that was an expensive lesson to learn.

My son also got some bad stuff when he repotted some of his orchids - it was tragic.

Note mushrooms may appear not to be affecting your plants at first, but they are in the same group as other fungi - get rid of them asap, as they will also sap the life from your plants.

While the fungi itself may not harm your seedlings, the insects it attracts may. I learned the hard way that fungi attracts a lot of insects, one of them being ants. A lot of ants feed off of fungi that may be in soil. I had to prune a entire plant down to a numb and repot it because a ant infestation in the soil because of fungi.

Some fungi may be beneficial but be wary it has conditions.

Ever hear of mycorrhizae?
Nope. I'll look it up later, though. Let me qualify, then: At a minimum, if you find any kind of mushrooms, get rid of them. If you find something that looks like groups of little pipes sticking up out of the ground, get rid of them. If you find something bright yellow coming up out of the ground that looks like some animal vomited, get rid of it. If you find something that looks like little spikey balls coming up out of the ground, get rid of them. If you find something flat-ish with an irregular shape, kind of light-beige with holes in it (kind of like the "sponge" one makes as a first step in making yeast bread), get rid of it. And if you dig not too deep, and find a white-ish, peach-ish spongey substance, by God, get rid of it! And that's just a sample of some of the stuff that killed my entire bed. It was astounding, the variety of garbage that would suddenly appear!

So qualified - I know there are bacteria in our digestive tracts (for example) which help keep us healthy and help fight off "bad" bacteria. So it seems likely there are "good" fungi. I would want to get a really good ID on that stuff before simply taking a wait-and-see attitude, given all that freakin' fungi I was fighting the year before. Right now, though, its still too soon for me - KILL THEM ALL!!!! :lol:

John, you are in the right place, go to NTS Nutritech solutions http://www.nutri-tech.com.au/products/microbial-products/microbe-products.html

<H1>Nutri-Life Tricho-Shield™
Beneficial fungi to improve the balance between desired and undesirable micro-organisms on the leaf surface and in the soil.

TrichoShield™ is a talc-based formulation containing the beneficial fungal species Trichoderma harzianum, Trichoderma lignorum and Trichoderma koningii. Trichoderma is also a root growth promoter.

Benefits
  • Biological Farmers Association (BFA) Registered Product 456AI.
  • Root-zone balance is coupled with plant growth promotion associated with Trichoderma metabolites.
  • Seed & seedling treatment creates a favourable growing environment with a variety of plant health benefits.
  • Tricho-Shield™ can be applied to seeds, transplants, bulbs, cuttings, grafts and established crops.
  • A powerful probiotic.
May help in reducing the use of toxic chemicals.</H1>
  • Product can be used right up to harvest time.
  • Based upon naturally occurring fungi & bacteria.
  • Biodegradable.
  • Applicable at all developmental stages.
  • A powerful probiotic.

They are in queensland so their should be plenty of distributors around you. I use NTS all the time,excellent products.
Marc

TrichoShield™ is a talc-based formulation containing the beneficial fungal species Trichoderma harzianum, Trichoderma lignorum and Trichoderma koningii. Trichoderma is also a root growth promoter.

there's a similar product sold here that i use. i mix it in my soil. =D

seems to help. i see healthier roots whenever i repot.

A long time ago a friend found mushrooms in his garden.
They turned purple/blue when he picked them.

He ate a few and said it was pure magic.

All the pods on his plants started changing different colors and his plants started talking to him.
He started selling them to his buddies for $15.00 an oz.

So I guess they were the bennificial kind of fungus,depending on how you look at it.... :rofl:

I had a similar growth,like pictured above, last year in my pots.
Under a loop they were the tiniest mushrooms I ever saw.
They didn't bother my plants.
I cut down on the water and they went away.
Mycilea(sp?) can grow underground pretty easily under several different conditions but to fruit you need pretty much water.
Mushrooms are 90% water.

Might cut down on the watering if you don't want fungus,though spores are tough and can stay viable for a very long time.

Thanks for the replies - no thanks Smokemaster, after a Scorp pod last weekend, I felt I was hallucinating already... :lol:

Im wary of tilling the soil too as I dont want the spores to be 'protected'. We are back to warm sunny days and there hasnt been any further growth, so Ive isolated the ones affected and keep an eye on them.
And Marc - I had a look at the site - they are based up on the Sunshine Coast, so I'll see if I can find a local distributor.

Cheers all.

They are in queensland so their should be plenty of distributors around you. I use NTS all the time,excellent products.
Marc

Just got off the phone to them, and Im pretty impressed.
Only problem is that minimum buy is 1kg, which would service 1 hectare and needs to be used up within 3 months of opening :shocked:

Still, at $54.00 it's pretty reasonable.

a natural alternative for fungii (and other stuff) killer is corn meal...corn gluten is a natural fungicide...

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=18

A long time ago a friend found mushrooms in his garden.
They turned purple/blue when he picked them.

He ate a few and said it was pure magic.

All the pods on his plants started changing different colors and his plants started talking to him.
He started selling them to his buddies for $15.00 an oz.
He must have been using some cow manure that wasn't fully composted in his garden.
biggrinpimp.gif

Back