• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A little pepper pron

The big harvests are starting to come in now. :D Here's what I picked this afternoon. Should have about 1/2 this much to pick tomorrow and the next day. Time to start figuring out what I'm going to do with them all. :D I picked a lot of them with a little green still on them, going to let them finish ripening off the plant so I can get some more pods going.

1190088926_photobucket_54680_.jpg

Left row from top to bottom:

Some type of red habanero/red chinense (labeled as bhut jolokia at the nursery, obviously it isn't), Trinidad scorpion Butch T, Aji Limo, Unsure (labeled as Super Chile at the nursery, but clearly isn't), Chocolate Congo Habanero (was supposed to be, but the pods are all red, seeds are from THSC), Trinidad Scorpion Moruga.

Second row from top to bottom:

datil, fatalii, aji cristal, 7 pod Jonah, bhut jolokia.

Third row top to bottom:

Ring of Fire Cayenne, Cumari, 7 pod Douglah, Red Savina, Jamaican Scotch Bonnet (not really a true bonnet shape).

Last row, top to bottom:

Red Scotch Bonnet (not really the true bonnet shape either), Brazilian starfish, Dorset Naga, yellow habanero (left 3) & Madam Janette (right 3), bih jolokia.

Douglahs:

1190088926_photobucket_54728_.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Moruga

1190088926_photobucket_54727_.jpg

Butch T

1190088926_photobucket_54725_.jpg

Cumari

1190088926_photobucket_54721_.jpg

Datil

1190088926_photobucket_54716_.jpg

Brazilian Starfish

1190088926_photobucket_54719_.jpg

Dorset Naga

1190088926_photobucket_54730_.jpg

7 Pod Jonah

1190088926_photobucket_54729_.jpg

Ring of Fire Cayenne

1190088926_photobucket_54733_.jpg

I've barely gotten anything off my annums so far. 2 Chimayos and one Biker Billy jalapeno, that's it. Hopefully they'll be ripening soon.

Right on thats a great harvest! I am sure you can find something to do with them. If not I hope you have a dehydrator!

Right on thats a great harvest! I am sure you can find something to do with them. If not I hope you have a dehydrator!

Yep, just got a dehydrator last week. I'm about to put some bhut jolokia enhanced beef jerky in there and once that's done some of the chiles will be going in there. :D

nice variety you got goin on :dance:

i hope to have that many different kinds next year

Thanks, I hope to have some gigantic pepper bushes like you have sometime. :eek:

I ended up with almost 70 varieties this year, I got a little carried away. :oops:

woo, now that is some hot pron :cheers: loving those morouga pods

Yeah those and the Douglahs are my favorite looking pods so far.

Yep, just got a dehydrator last week. I'm about to put some bhut jolokia enhanced beef jerky in there and once that's done some of the chiles will be going in there.

Thats great, one thing I have heard is that alot of people have a designated hot pepper dehydrator and one for beef jerky and other things because after you dehydrate beef jerky in it when you dehydrate peppers later it can change the flavor. But I have not done that. I sure love making super hot beef jerky and can see why they would say that.

Nice looking early harvest, you must of had a good indoor start this past winter. Your "D.Naga's" will do great in your dehydrator! Also, if you could try to post some close-ups of your "Bonnets", I'm growing over a 1/2 dz. different varieties, some are from seeds brought back from Jamaica/Cayman Is., different shapes,sizes and colors, break one open and you'll know right away it's a "Bonnet" not a "Hab", good luck and post some more photos...

Thats great, one thing I have heard is that alot of people have a designated hot pepper dehydrator and one for beef jerky and other things because after you dehydrate beef jerky in it when you dehydrate peppers later it can change the flavor. But I have not done that. I sure love making super hot beef jerky and can see why they would say that.

I do have the jerky on parchment paper, so hopefully that will prevent it.

Nice looking early harvest, you must of had a good indoor start this past winter. Your "D.Naga's" will do great in your dehydrator! Also, if you could try to post some close-ups of your "Bonnets", I'm growing over a 1/2 dz. different varieties, some are from seeds brought back from Jamaica/Cayman Is., different shapes,sizes and colors, break one open and you'll know right away it's a "Bonnet" not a "Hab", good luck and post some more photos...

Thanks, yeah I did a pretty good start with a lot of the chinenses and baccatums. Most of the plants these pods are from were started middle January to middle February. The Jonah 7s, Butch Ts, Cumari, and a few others were started a lot later but have mostly caught up. Still waiting Chocolate Bhuts, Harrold St. Barts, Cili Goronong, Arribibi (sp), Trinidad Perfume, Foodarama Scotch Bonnet (these have a really nice, squat shape so far), and some other chinenses to ripen some pods, but it should be within the next 2 weeks. A lot of the annums and frutescens are starting to ripen too.

Here are a few close up shots of the "bonnets", I'm not much of a camera man though...

1190088926_photobucket_54780_.jpg

1190088926_photobucket_54781_.jpg

1190088926_photobucket_54782_.jpg

1190088926_photobucket_54735_.jpg

1190088926_photobucket_54732_.jpg

I do have the jerky on parchment paper, so hopefully that will prevent it.

Thanks, yeah I did a pretty good start with a lot of the chinenses and baccatums. Most of the plants these pods are from were started middle January to middle February. The Jonah 7s, Butch Ts, Cumari, and a few others were started a lot later but have mostly caught up. Still waiting Chocolate Bhuts, Harrold St. Barts, Cili Goronong, Arribibi (sp), Trinidad Perfume, Foodarama Scotch Bonnet (these have a really nice, squat shape so far), and some other chinenses to ripen some pods, but it should be within the next 2 weeks. A lot of the annums and frutescens are starting to ripen too.

Here are a few close up shots of the "bonnets", I'm not much of a camera man though...

1190088926_photobucket_54780_.jpg

1190088926_photobucket_54781_.jpg

1190088926_photobucket_54782_.jpg

1190088926_photobucket_54735_.jpg

1190088926_photobucket_54732_.jpg

Hey thanks for your reply, the yellow pods are definitely "Bonnets", and the reds, most likely are and you only no by a taste test, although there's a resemblance to either Red Congo/Caribbean Red, the shoulders and shallow ribbing on a few that I see look similar to a variety that I've grown, I also grow a true red Jamaican variety that has broad shoulders and deep narly ribs, slow to ripen but I've used them in a pinch partially un-ripened when making a "jerk marinade". Overall to me taste is most important followed by productivity, I'm patial to the yellow/orange bonnets for flavor.....good luck with your upcoming harvests and keep us posted

great pods Avon!those morougas look brutal. i got to grow that one next season.

Yeah I'm kind of scared of them, I'll have to try one soon though. :D And I'll have to grow some Brain Strain next year to compare, they look very similar but apparently the Brain Strain is quite a bit hotter.

Beautiful harvest - lots of variety in that 1st shot.

Thanks, I think some of the varieties are a little redundant though, I'm going to try to pair it down a bit next year so it's not as much trouble with the labeling and keep things sorted.

Hey thanks for your reply, the yellow pods are definitely "Bonnets", and the reds, most likely are and you only no by a taste test, although there's a resemblance to either Red Congo/Caribbean Red, the shoulders and shallow ribbing on a few that I see look similar to a variety that I've grown, I also grow a true red Jamaican variety that has broad shoulders and deep narly ribs, slow to ripen but I've used them in a pinch partially un-ripened when making a "jerk marinade". Overall to me taste is most important followed by productivity, I'm patial to the yellow/orange bonnets for flavor.....good luck with your upcoming harvests and keep us posted

Thanks, I'm not extremely worried about the shape, they almost all end up getting chopped up anyway. :D I haven't tasted any yet but I will soon.

Pods look great, the plants must be really nice.

Thanks, they were looking a little rough from the heat. They were dropping a lot of leaves and wilting almost the whole day. The pots were just absorbing too much heat and baking the roots a little I think, but I moved the potted ones to shade and fed them some liquid karma and they're looking much better now.

Saweet! Very nice.

Thanks. :D

How hot are the Brazilian Starfish? Those are spectacular! I have got to buy some seeds if I can find any.

They are decent in heat, hotter than I expected. I thought they would be pretty mild, but they're about serrano-level I think. Not very hot compared to a lot of the stuff we grow but a normal person definitely wouldn't call them mild. They are extremely good producers and have a nice shape and decent flavor. PM your address and I'll send you some seeds when I get them dried.

Wow nice pods! I think chocolate congos go from red to brown so maybe if you wait a bit they will turn.

Unfortunately I don't think they do, at least I don't recall reading of that happening before, and did some googling and couldn't find anything about going from red to brown. I would love to be wrong though. :) Hopefully some of the other Congo Black plants will put out brown pods, I have my fingers crossed.

A little more pepper pron. :D

Today's harvest...

1190088926_photobucket_56618_.jpg

Different angel, might be a better picture, I don't know.

1190088926_photobucket_56619_.jpg

Some stragglers that wouldn't fit.

1190088926_photobucket_56617_.jpg

And a little tomatillo pron while I'm at it...

1190088926_photobucket_56088_.jpg

Back