• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

A Pepper that Thrives in Hot and Humid Conditions?

As the East Coast members on this board can appreciate, our summers are often hot and humid. What pepper thrives in these conditions?

I would think that the Red Savina would be a prime candidate as it is from a tropical and humid environment. Are there others that should be included on this list?

-Pete

They all seem to do quite well ... in the NorthEast we need to start them earlier because we dont get that heat nd humidity till July - August take a look at my Pepper Pron my Nagas are loaded and my lemon drops are full my other plants are just behind them but by mid-august I will be a peppe pickin' fool

LUCKYDOG said:
They all seem to do quite well ... in the NorthEast we need to start them earlier because we dont get that heat nd humidity till July - August take a look at my Pepper Pron my Nagas are loaded and my lemon drops are full my other plants are just behind them but by mid-august I will be a peppe pickin' fool

I have to agree on the hot and humid conditions. My plants have grown more in the past couple weeks than they did in the last couple months!! Hot and humid is definitely good! I started mine late, but I'm starting to get buds on a few. I started some of those in the first week of May as a seed too.:shocked:

yea my plants (several different types) are all doing better since the heat & humidity came around this summer, they're taking off like crazy now. this area has had a bad spring & into early summer for chile plants.

your best luck is to just try a couple differnet types that others said they did well for them & just try growing them. & see what grows best for you at your location & your soil or ?

take a crack at some thais.

all the chinesis and all the frutescens grow well for me in Brisbane Australia, so I'd think they would do well for you.

Hello Fellow Pa'er! The others state the truth as the heat and humidity are perfect for peppers, expessially our beloved hot chinese varieties! Bring on the heat!! :)

Down here in Florida, mine do fine but you do have to watch how much of the summer sun they get. I've seen pepper plants get baked to death down here in July and August very quickly. Most of the local produce farmers here that grow hotties either have them in a partial shade area or they're in large pots they move around. And they all agree that the only thing that can handle the direct summer sun down here is okra.

Nagas and Bhuts are no more the same as Fatalli and Devil Tongue. Maybe at one time but they have both evolved into their own distinct pepper. I think most pepper plant are from climates that are far more tropical than anywhere on the east coast can bring. Getting them large and hardy enough is the trick to keeping peppers out in the sun and heat.

Like chilehunter I'm in MN, the peppers kind of sit until the heat and humidity comes around then they show off. Produce lots of flowers and peppers, makes up for the lousy cold wet spring we had. Last year in the drought they performed well also, guess they like it hot and humid.

Jackie

I'm in RI, so right around the same climate as you, but maybe a bit colder because of the coastline.

Just start them early enough - you'll be ok. I have Naga's, Fatalii's, Hab's, Scotch Bonnets, Congo Trinidads and a few others going. The Naga's just began to fruit this week, and the hab's have been putting on peppers for about a week. The Jalapenos started at least 3 weeks ago, and they're looking fantastic!

Start them indoor around Feb 1st, and you'll be good to go!

Back