• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A weird Thing I Have Just Noticed About My Seven Pod Plants

Hi Everyone,

I have actually just noticed something peculiar about every one of my seven pod plants (and I have 7 small plants still indoors waiting for the weather to become nice enough to be brought outside.) Every single one of them has the leaves yellowing in a mottled pattern. The plants themselves look fine...they are not looking sick or distressed, nor should they. I haven't done anything with them different from any other plant...they aren't being transplanted, they are all in 8" pots with my normal soil mix and I water them barely once a week, once the soil dries out. I use all purpose Miracle-Gro fertilizer, which is high in Nitrogen as they are developing. Just the same I have used with the other plants. And, just the same I have done every year for the last 4 years.

Strange thing, though, I have taken a look at my records from last year and I have suddenly realized that I had the exact same thing with the Seven Pods last year: every one of them had mottled, yellowing leaves. Only the Seven Pods. Just like this year. This has finally made a light bulb appear over my head (although a very dim 15 watt incandescent bulb.) Could it be that the Seven Pods need some additional nutrient that they aren't getting from the Miracle-Gro? I know that many of you, if not all of you, have grown Seven Pods before and I am wondering if you have had a similar experience. I am hoping that I might be able to glean some knowledge here from the combined wisdom of the Hot Pepper Forum membership that I'll never get on my own. Last year, the Seven Pods wound up being fine and I had big beautiful plants and lots of peppers, so I'm not distraught about it, but if they need some magical nutrient that will make life easier for them, I want to provide it.

Thanks for your input. I don't always join in the conversations, but I am often here enjoying the back and forth...usually picking up pearls of wisdom that make me a better pepper plant gardener.

Thanks,
Sheldon

pics? Pics help a ton. Could be lack of iron, magnesium, nitrogen, etc. If you can post a pic, we might be able to steer you in the right direction.

It might be genetics, in other words your current strains may have gone south on you. I would try strains from another source. I'm currently growing over a hundred 7 pods and appear to be in pristine condition. It is always a numbers game. You're doing right if the others are all fine.

Pics would be nice!!

Hi and thanks for your replies. Actually, one of the plants I grew from a seed I received from Cappy back in 2009. I just thought that it would be nice to have a plant that wasn't 5 generations old. And it is also doing the same thing. Here are pictures I just took:

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

Again, I thank you for your thoughts and help.

i get that all the time, it is usually after watering with fertilizer. it is not just with 7's, bhuts, goatsweed & quintisho are currently experiencing the same symptoms. it usually starts with the larger older leaves first, this winter i had a bombay morich go completely variegated - the entire plant. i am thinking it is more of a nutrient lock out versus over fertilizing but that is just an uneducated guess with zero research on my part.

when it first happened a couple of years ago, an internet search kind of pointed towards [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]chlorosis and ph level(too high) being the ultimate culprit. here is a wiki link that may help point you to further studying: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorosis[/background]

i have had it happen with miracle gro tomato fertilizer 18-18-21 and with plant prod tomato fertilizer 15-15-30, each has micronutrients, so i am guessing the ph level gets changed when i do a massive watering, i don't know if having the soil being wet and cool for too large plays much of a role. after watering, my cycle is usually about 10-15 days before watering again and that really depends on environmental conditions.

i have just started to blend general hydroponic flora gro & bloom with a shot of the miracle gro to compensate for the micronutrients as i don't us flora micro. GH is suppose to be PH balanced.

good luck with that.

Hi Again,

Thanks for the replies. I have held back from fertilizing actually. I only started applying fertilizer within the last couple of weeks. I am sensitive to over-fertilizing the plants and actually noticed the yellowing prior to my starting. I applied epsom salts first. At this point, I believe they are actually worse than before, but the leaves are bigger so it might just look that way. My observation was that all the 7 pods were showing the same effect. And they did the same thing last year. While I repeat that I am certain the plants are fine overall, I am just wondering if there is a mineral or nutrient of some kind that I should be giving them.

I treat all the plants exactly the same. Do you treat them the same or differently? Do Chinense get a different nutrient protocol from frutesence, for example? Just an interesting thought.

Thanks.

What are you using for plant mix? I use Pro Grow mostly because it is 100% fert free and the seedlings thrive in it.

They need food and I juice them with friendly ferts:

PHC Seedling & Houseplants NPK 6-12-6 Biofertilizer

Contains potassium nitrate, ammonium phosphate, urea, seaweed extract, potassium phosphates, copper sulfate, manganese, iron, zinc, amino acids, K and B-complex vitamins, beneficial bacteria, humates and humic acids, kelp, citric and citrate buffers and yucca plant extract

2.5 oz. of easy-to-use powder makes 6 gallons of powerful fertilizer; 8 oz. makes 19 gallons

http://www.gardeners.com/Seedling-Fertilizer/11727,default,pd.html

This stuff really works!!

Possible but not probable as he said that he noticed the yellowing prior to fertilizing. Not sure if 100% accurate but I read that 7 Pots like a more alkaline soil than acidic, so it may be pH based.

I have found a few different website that have all the symptoms of nutrient deficiency and all that, but this is the last one I found, I should start bookmarking them so I don't have to keep looking for them, but even though this is for pot.. it's same general idea.. looks similar to sulfur or maybe iron lockout/deficiency or something like that.. more towards the sulfur.. but what soil are you using?
http://forum.sensiseeds.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6499

HI all,

Thank you once again for taking the time to respond to my question. Here is the soil mix I use:

I use 2 types of soil mixed in a 2/3 to 1/3 or maybe a 3/4 to 1/4 blend -- Sun Gro Horticultural Professional Sunshine Mix 1, consisting of Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, Perlite and Dolomite Limestone with nutrient ingredients and Miracle Gro enriched potting mix (.14 - .14 - .14). I have been using these mixed together for the last 4 years or so and really like the results I get. As a fertilizer, I use Miracle-Gro All Purpose water soluble plant food, which is 24-8-16. As well as the top 3, it contains Boron, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum and Zinc. I have been using this particular fertilizer since I started germinating seeds, 4 years ago. I have always gotten good results with it. I let the soil dry out between watering.

Is it possible that the lights I am using have lost their intensity? This is my 3rd year using them. They are T-5's. I have 4 of them. As well, as 2 - 45 Watt CFL bulbs, which are equivalent to 2 - 200 Watt incandescent bulbs.

I have never checked the PH of the soil, as Burning Colon and MeinChoh suggested. I don't even know how to do that...or what to do with that information once I find out.

Thank you for your advice.

Sheldon

Mine are "pimply" too if that's what u mean by mottled ? Seed are 3 yrs old but produce and germinate something fierce! Looks diseased or in need of something but not sure what if that's the case.

Mine are "pimply" too if that's what u mean by mottled ? Seed are 3 yrs old but produce and germinate something fierce! Looks diseased or in need of something but not sure what if that's the case.

In using the word "mottled" I meant splotchy. The dimpling/pimply look...some of my plants get that, some don't. I guess it means something but the plants all do fine, with it or without it. So I don't worry about it. I used some seeds up to 3 years old this year as well, and they germinated and are growing fine. I wonder how many years they could remain viable.

Thanks for your input.

Viable but with pimples/mottled may be two different things. My grandma in Europe had seeds for beans and tomatoes for unknown number of years perhaps decades and all was great ?

Back